THE CZickness L....Celebrating 50 threads with CZs, gunsmoke and serious discussion....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Short answer: A heavy dose of 357 mag full house loads in a K-frame (and other platforms) or timing issues can cause cracking, leading etc. Pretty rare in my limited experience...

View attachment 262333

Cracked cone is no bueno. Less likely in a K/L than a J in my feeble experience. Extra attention when I clean this area to get them gritty's.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Speaking of mills and chills....Quite the taxing day on the old bones. 2 mold swaps and a 12t 911 front half removal and reinstall after tooling did their magic. The 2 my trainee and I swapped are real gnarly ones too. Extra greasy jobs.

Decompression with the turkeys and some BBQ ribs made all the world right again.

TD you aren't the only one spending. I'm down to the last few upgrades/replacements in my solo camp gear. Nickel and dime myself to death.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive hobby consider parquetry!

First get a cutting mat, a couple of exacto knives, some nice triangles of various angles like you would use when drafting.

Next get some wood veneer. Do not need much. Check out some options here (i usually only get a single sheet of each that I want):

More common woods (walnut, cherry, maple, etc) can be had at your local Rockler or other woodworking supply store.

Build a home vacuum press. $150-200. Here’s mine, plans and parts easily found on the internet (you need an air compressor but don’t need a ton of capacity—I am sure you already have one):

1678751273965.jpeg

A cheap band saw to cut circles with $100-150 all day long).

And patience and a little practice and in 5 or 6 hours (got this one to this point in in 3-4 days).

1678751417220.jpeg

1678751465989.jpeg
    A couple more days applying finish (99% of that time waiting for it to dry) and you get a lazy susan something like this

1678751586978.jpeg

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive hobby consider parquetry!

First get a cutting mat, a couple of exacto knives, some nice triangles of various angles like you would use when drafting.

Next get some wood veneer. Do not need much. Check out some options here (i usually only get a single sheet of each that I want):

More common woods (walnut, cherry, maple, etc) can be had at your local Rockler or other woodworking supply store.

Build a home vacuum press. $150-200. Here’s mine, plans and parts easily found on the internet (you need an air compressor but don’t need a ton of capacity—I am sure you already have one):

View attachment 262436

A cheap band saw to cut circles with $100-150 all day long).

And patience and a little practice and in 5 or 6 hours (got this one to this point in in 3-4 days).

View attachment 262441

View attachment 262442
    A couple more days applying finish (99% of that time waiting for it to dry) and you get a lazy susan something like this

View attachment 262443

You are truly the Wizard of Wood ! :wow:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Larsonboys78