• Status
    Not open for further replies.

WEB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    Carmel
    I had been shooting a rental CZ-75 SP-01 and really liking it. It was a tough decision between the SP-01 and the TS. Oh crap....I just realized this means I will be buying a SP-01 soon:laugh:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    P-09 or SP-01 for a range toy? Would be nice to have a threaded barrel so the P-09 that comes from the factory as such is appealing. Thoughts? I don't own any polymer frame handguns except for the wife's LC9s. I am on the fence about the polymer frame of the P-09.
    I've got a p09, its a sweet shooter, but it won't be mine much longer. I'm sure the new owner would let you shoot it, even though he is a bully. When I replace it, a sp01 will fill its spot. I just have a hard time loving polymer.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've got a p09, its a sweet shooter, but it won't be mine much longer. I'm sure the new owner would let you shoot it, even though he is a bully. When I replace it, a sp01 will fill its spot. I just have a hard time loving polymer.

I will be funded for this soon.
    Check is in the mail...
    I will call you tomorrow.
    I wont.....oh wait, wrong forum........:):

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think I just brought home a new project. My God son is in town for the holiday and I had asked him to bring his 1911 along for a bit of trigger work. This is the 1911 that I bought him when he graduated from the Army's Special Forces training. It's a basic, Springfield Mil-Spec. While it's been a good shooter, it could use some love. I'd figure that I'd do a basic trigger polish for him, but we got to talking about guns and he's open to taking the gun farther. Instead of taking the gun back with him when he goes home, he's going to leave it with me until he gets back from his next deployment. So, I have the gun for about 6 to 8 months minimum.

I'll post pics of it tomorrow, but for now, I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. He's going to check out a couple of different 1911s I have to see what length trigger he prefers, but he's already decided he likes the arched MSH. I need to take it down completely and do an inspection, but assembled, it feels a bit loose. Not real loose, but more so than my CZ 1911. The sights will need to be addressed and a new ignition kit polished and installed. We'll see about maybe doing a beaver tail G/S and extended T/S and slide lock. We'll have to see about the barrel fit and if need be, will order a custom bushing from EGW and might upgrade the barrel while I'm at it. When done, it will need Ceracoated and a nice set of grips.

I should add, all of this will be out of my pocket, so it's not like I'm shopping on his dime. I'm hoping to have a very nice 1911 for him when he get's back. What do you guys think? Is this a realistic plan? Some of the work will be done by me, but I'm not afraid to farm out stuff I don't want to do like possibly fitting a new barrel if that's needed. I'd like to keep the budget around $800 to maybe $1000. If I need to go over that amount, I think I'd just opt for a Dan Wesson Razorback or something similar. But, I really want to give him something that was built by a family member as a thanks for what he's doing on our behalf.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks IGM. That's why I'm posting this here. I don't want to put a thousand into a gun that does not deserve half that, but I also don't want to dismiss it if it could be a good starting point. He's going to know how far this gun should go.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks IGM. That's why I'm posting this here. I don't want to put a thousand into a gun that does not deserve half that, but I also don't want to dismiss it if it could be a good starting point. He's going to know how far this gun should go.

Ha......I am not alone......:laugh6:

You will need to handle My Milspec. It has been upgraded across the board.
    1st, Yes, loose the ingnition controls and consider EGW. No less than C&S.
    2nd, Yes, they are loose. This can be addressed as well. I have all the tools "You" will need. I also have all the instructions for their use....:):
    Seriously, I will help you with that part.
    3rd, the sites are horrible. You will need to ask Allen to cut Novesk reliefs in the slide.
    4th, Pick a color.

There is a certain satisfaction I get from Hot Rodding one of these. It would be especially rewarding to present it to some one as special as this young man must be.
    I would be grateful if you let me help on the slide frame fit.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning folks! Fetching :coffee: BRB

Ha......I am not alone......:laugh6:

You will need to handle My Milspec. It has been upgraded across the board.
    1st, Yes, loose the ingnition controls and consider EGW. No less than C&S.
    2nd, Yes, they are loose. This can be addressed as well. I have all the tools "You" will need. I also have all the instructions for their use....:):
    Seriously, I will help you with that part.
    3rd, the sites are horrible. You will need to ask Allen to cut Novesk reliefs in the slide.
    4th, Pick a color.

There is a certain satisfaction I get from Hot Rodding one of these. It would be especially rewarding to present it to some one as special as this young man must be.
    I would be grateful if you let me help on the slide frame fit.

Thanks for the offer CM! I'll take you up on it since frame to slide fit is new territory for me. I'm excited about doing this for him and think this will be a fun project.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Morning folks! Fetching :coffee: BRB

Thanks for the offer CM! I'll take you up on it since frame to slide fit is new territory for me. I'm excited about doing this for him and think this will be a fun project.

I look forward to assisting in this. Projects for those who serve are always worthy of my time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom