Not open for further replies.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I am in the same state of mind. What I have in the safe now are all great examples of what makes me smile.
    In that my next big thing is a ground up 2011 build in a totally new to me caliber.
    I am sure there will be something pop up along the path but will have to be a real head turner.
    Well.....my head anyway.

In light of the current world situation and the forced influx of "Refugee's" (Ha) I am now feeling the need for at least 1 more AR.

The world situation is what is making me think I need to secure a deep concealment gun as well as an AR pistol. Both would bring a level of protection that I don't currently enjoy. I may need to start carrying a brief case to the office going forward.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Ouch, just looked up prices. Maybe I'll stick with .45 after all... :(

That's been my biggest hangup to date. I can't afford to run what I don't reload and I don't want to worry about sorting and cleaning too many different calibers. Adding a lot of 38 Super rounds to the reloading means adding another step to the cleaning cycle to sort the 38 Super from the 9mm brass. Come to think of it though, I already do that with 9mm and .380 and am careful to look for Makarov cases too. Maybe it would not be as bad as I'm thinking it might be.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    That's been my biggest hangup to date. I can't afford to run what I don't reload and I don't want to worry about sorting and cleaning too many different calibers. Adding a lot of 38 Super rounds to the reloading means adding another step to the cleaning cycle to sort the 38 Super from the 9mm brass. Come to think of it though, I already do that with 9mm and .380 and am careful to look for Makarov cases too. Maybe it would not be as bad as I'm thinking it might be.

What I've read is that it's great if you're reloading. If I reloaded I'd get into it without any hesitation.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    From what I've read, 38 Super gives near .357 Sig performance in a cartridge that's a lot easier to reload. A DW Guardian in 38 Super would make a very intesting carry gun. I wonder how it would handle the Underwood SD ammo? I imagine since the CCO does fine with .45, the Guardian would be just as fine with a stout 38 Super round. I wonder how hard it would be to buy the Guardian, then have a second barrel fit for 9mm for plinking and practice. That seems like it would be a good combination.

On a similar thought, does anyone know if a CZ 9mm barrel could be reamed for 38 Super? I imagine it could be, but there might be mag or feed issues resulting.

I have always wanted a .38 super, but the cost has always been the stumbling block .....

It is an excellent round .....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's a good approach. I need to get my family out of the 'Tim's got a gun, so we'll be ok' mindset. My son's are good, but the rest of them look too much to me for protection.

This is the reason I have made a go no go list for the compound. Folks have been pretty open about "We will come to you when things get out of hand"
    I say, and what will you bring along. They say very little. More like a deer in the headlights "What do you mean"
    I say, if you come hat in hand, put the hat back on, turn around and fend for your selves.
    Hard line.....yup.....Needed.....yup.

I have offered to train and help them to become self sufficient in a crisis. It falls on deaf ears. The new I-Phone and the latest Nike's are more important.

My kids are in line with the program. Siblings not so much.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    This is the reason I have made a go no go list for the compound. Folks have been pretty open about "We will come to you when things get out of hand"
    I say, and what will you bring along. They say very little. More like a deer in the headlights "What do you mean"
    I say, if you come hat in hand, put the hat back on, turn around and fend for your selves.

I have offered to train and help them to become self sufficient in a crisis. It falls on deaf ears. The new I-Phone and the latest Nike's are more important.

The best I can do is thin the herd. ;)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

I think it's time to have that conversation with the extended family again. The old, if you don't come with food, you come as food discussion. Too many family members are content to spend to the last dollar on unneeded crap, but will whine about how they cannot afford to prepare. My sister in law is the worst in that her and my brother could not go a week without a grocery run and generally keep less than 2 to 3 days worth of food on hand. She complains of the cost of stocking up on some things, yet finds money to fake suntan herself and keep herself tanked with a half bottle of vodka a day. Priorities will bite her in the ass one day.

llh1956

CZ Wizard
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Lawrence, IN.
    No shooting but I did make progress on 3 project builds that are on the bench. The Champion is pretty much done. The MilSpec id ready to get the site cuts (that I should have done before coating...:dunno:) and the from the raw build is moving along nicely.

Your sights go out after work today and should arrive by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom