Not open for further replies.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I really thought about it. It is still high on my list to do. The initial buy in is still to high for a Mil-Spec in my humble opinion. With time it might get into and acceptable range for me. They are about $200 north of what I would pay for a MilSpec just to keep the chassis. Considering the parts costs I am actually being Frugal.....and that is ****ing scary.
    I have been mulling over the custom thing since I did the steel gun. It will be a bench mark for me.

I am thinking they will start showing up on the used market about spring time.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Should get some goodies delivered tomorrow. 300 rounds of fotay and a couple new CZ mags. Gonna do some testing of the 40P with a brand new mag to see if it makes a difference, plus some 180gr and 165gr ammo to test with.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Should get some goodies delivered tomorrow. 300 rounds of fotay and a couple new CZ mags. Gonna do some testing of the 40P with a brand new mag to see if it makes a difference, plus some 180gr and 165gr ammo to test with.

I seem to have misplaced that magazine. If I ever get a day off I will search for it and send it along. Sorry about that.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I really thought about it. It is still high on my list to do. The initial buy in is still to high for a Mil-Spec in my humble opinion. With time it might get into and acceptable range for me. They are about $200 north of what I would pay for a MilSpec just to keep the chassis. Considering the parts costs I am actually being Frugal.....and that is ****ing scary.
    I have been mulling over the custom thing since I did the steel gun. It will be a bench mark for me.

I have to agree with you on that. If the goal is to replace all of the internal fire control parts, then the extra money spent on the CZ 1911 is wasted. The extra cost of the CZ goes into the billet sear, disconnector and hammer, as well as the hand fitting they do during assembly. All of that is great if you want a gun that can be tuned nicely with the parts intact, but guys like you and AllenM are not into buying guns to leave them factory stock. Your skill levels don't allow satisfaction with that. If you pay the price of the CZ, then pull the delivered parts out to replace them with what you know to work consistently well, then the extra money was wasted on the CZ.

For me, I'll probably never get to your skill level and don't have a preferred parts package for 1911 internals. I usually just want to make what's in there as good as it can be so the cost is worth it. I have a few guns that I like to work on, but most of my 1911s are stock internally. A bit of polish and some tuning is about as good as it gets with me. :)

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I seem to have misplaced that magazine. If I ever get a day off I will search for it and send it along. Sorry about that.

Not a problem, I'm not complaining. Just needed a brand new one to test with, plus I like to have at least 4 mags for every gun so I don't spend too much time loading mags at the range :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have to agree with you on that. If the goal is to replace all of the internal fire control parts, then the extra money spent on the CZ 1911 is wasted. The extra cost of the CZ goes into the billet sear, disconnector and hammer, as well as the hand fitting they do during assembly. All of that is great if you want a gun that can be tuned nicely with the parts intact, but guys like you and AllenM are not into buying guns to leave them factory stock. Your skill levels don't allow satisfaction with that. If you pay the price of the CZ, then pull the delivered parts out to replace them with what you know to work consistently well, then the extra money was wasted on the CZ.

For me, I'll probably never get to your skill level and don't have a preferred parts package for 1911 internals. I usually just want to make what's in there as good as it can be so the cost is worth it. I have a few guns that I like to work on, but most of my 1911s are stock internally. A bit of polish and some tuning is about as good as it gets with me. :)

Just to do what you can to your guns shows a marked improvement.
    If I could find a good deal on a CZ 1911 it might be well worth just putting some love into the ignition controls and see how that works. That saves around $175 depending on who's parts are used.

The beaver tail/slide stop/thumb safety/magWell/barrel bushing add up as well. There has to be some bling on the thing yeah.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Not a problem, I'm not complaining. Just needed a brand new one to test with, plus I like to have at least 4 mags for every gun so I don't spend too much time loading mags at the range :)

Do you want an extra power mag spring to try in one of the existing mags? I have a new spare one if you want it. It would be interesting to see if it makes a difference in the cycling issue. I only ran 50 rounds through my 40P before disassembly, but the only issue I had was with the mag that had the original spring. It's not a significant sampling, but could point to a possible solution.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Do you want an extra power mag spring to try in one of the existing mags? I have a new spare one if you want it. It would be interesting to see if it makes a difference in the cycling issue. I only ran 50 rounds through my 40P before disassembly, but the only issue I had was with the mag that had the original spring. It's not a significant sampling, but could point to a possible solution.

That would be great. Maybe next week if we can meet up at the new Greenwood Point Blank location, we can test it out. I'll have my new mag with me as well to see if there's any difference. I'm curious whether the older mags have lost a bit of their tension and therefore a new one will work where an older one wouldn't? Have no idea, but worth testing.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Just to do what you can to your guns shows a marked improvement.
    If I could find a good deal on a CZ 1911 it might be well worth just putting some love into the ignition controls and see how that works. That saves around $175 depending on who's parts are used.

The beaver tail/slide stop/thumb safety/magWell/barrel bushing add up as well. There has to be some bling on the thing yeah.

They do. I've added an extended thumb safety, but don't know if I'll do the beaver tail GS. That involves messing up a really nice finish. Sights are the only other area that I need to address on this gun.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    My plan is to acquire one of these sometime next year. I want to do some testing and see if it makes sense to retain some of the stock parts.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Off to the range with a young cousin. Sadly no CZ's this trip as he is becoming a revolver guy. However we will be shooting SR1911 that CM tuned for me. It is a good thing to, I needed some range therapy.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    This young lady will be accompanying me to the range today.

IMG_0426_zpsnr3qb3ne.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom