88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning folks! :coffee:

If it was a woman it would be Kim Kardashian!!

I'd have to agree with that. I don't know what folks see in her other than the fact that a lot of folks have been seen in her.

Does anyone else feel like they need to come up for air for a couple of minutes after the buying frenzy of black Friday? I still have a lot of stuff I want/need, but I need to cover what was bought first. I think it's time I take a hard look into the gun safe to see what has the most dust. I tried to cull my collection of stuff that would not appreciate in value, thinking I was some sort of collector, but I need to really figure out what I want to shoot and then move the others on. One of the guns I have is a beautiful 1914 Swedish Mauser. I have no idea how this rifle survived over 100 years looking this good, but it's all original and numbers matching. I've put maybe 80 rounds through it in the years I've had it. Right now, it graces the family room wall along with my son's K98. It might be time to take a hard look at whether or not it needs a new home. Then, there's the Swiss K31. That's a really nice rifle that I keep a minimal ammo stock for. I've toyed with putting a bolt on offset scope mount on it and seeing just how accurate it is, but have not made any real move to do that yet. Or, the Ruger Scout. I really liked the idea of the scout rifle, but to be honest, it only makes sense for me in a TEOTWAWKI fantasy where you need a basic, do everything rifle. I still have not put glass on it despite having it for a couple of years. Then, there are the Mosins. I have two that have not been shot in a long while. I used to have 8 around, but sold most of them off or gave them out as birthday gifts. One's an M38 and the other is a Finn capture M91/30.

All of these have some sentimental value (except the Ruger) and my intent was to build a collection that was both fun to shoot, but that would also slowly build a bit of value over the years. I'm questioning the logic of that now. I really need to think it over before I let any of the mil-surp go though, because once those are gone, I cannot just run out and buy an identical copy like I could with the Ruger or with Glocks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I totally understand these thoughts 88.
    My safes have been in a state of confusion for a long time.
    I am almost satisfied with the handguns. Can not for the life of me think of anything else I might want past what I have. That is scary.
    Once I get the 2011 done and home I fear boredom past the joy of shooting and sharing what I have.
    There is not one of the handguns I now own that is as bought. All have been seriously modified. A piece of me in every one. A story attached as well. All of them were passed to me by a friend from this Forum. This alone makes them special on some level or another.
    I could go on and on about the CZ's. This brand has re-introduced me to the much hated 9mm and I am enjoying that.
    The long guns are near the same. Except for the pink Cricket I got the G-daughter for Christmas last all of the long guns have been built/modified by me.
    I to have a scout that will not see much action anymore. It is being up-graded by a custom Rem. 700 that will be here today. Just not sure what I will do with the scout. It is such a sweet shooter.

2016 will see some changes in my activity's. Some of the guns will find a new home. I seriously doubt there will be to many replacements as I will be concentrating on ammo. My hopes are to get out and run the toys a lot more in 2016.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Right there with ya 88. I love milsurps, I struggled with the thought of listing my k98 for months. I finally did it figuring it would sell quick, well I've had no interest in it. Maybe it's bad timing with the holidays. But seeing it up for sale and thinking about the very point you made, once it's gone I can never replace it. I don't feel in my lifetime it'll ever go down in value, so is it worth selling? Probably not. I just figured maybe there was a collector out there that needed one to fill a vacant spot and I've got some other things that are more important to take care of right now... I'll let it go a couple more days and if I continue to get zero interest I'll just close the ad and hang on to it.

There are so many milsurps that I want. They just bring a different kind of cool to the collection. I've had a basic 91/30 and didn't like it. I could see a sniper Mosin being fun. K31 is at the top of my want list. I started to think I would only concentrate on the US stuff, one of the other reasons for listing my k98, but there are so many cool ones out there....

On another note, referencing the Kardashians. I think we could have our own tv show in here. There has to be at least a couple hundred people that will watch just for the drama.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom