Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    One more analogy, then I'm out.

Used car salesman says: "You should really buy this car. It will really make you look cool."

Customer says: "I don't think I should take your word for this because you're clearly trying to sell me something."

Stranger wanders over: "You're telling me that no one gets to say whether you look cool or not unless you approve of them?"

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thats not what he’s saying. You can’t tell them how they’re following their religion wrong, because you aren’t a part of it. It’s like me never driving a Toyota and telling you how crappy they handle. You don’t follow their religion so who are you to tell them they’re doing it wrong

I would say there is no inherent reason a self proclaimed believer necessarily has more knowledge about a religion than a non believer. moreover what we are saying here is that only muslims can criticize how ISIS decides to follow their religious convictions?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    The difference may be that a number of those who no longer practice a particular faith, DID, in fact, practice that faith at one time. So, no, it's not like driving a Toyota, dude. Or describing what the inherent limitations of a 1911 are.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The difference may be that a number of those who no longer practice a particular faith, DID, in fact, practice that faith at one time. So, no, it's not like driving a Toyota, dude. Or describing what the inherent limitations of a 1911 are.

Ah...now I understand.

"I didn't put the bullet in the furnace, so stop talking about my mother."

I'm out.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis

You can be raised Sikh for 20 years but the day you wake up and say to yourself "you know what? I think they've been feeding me bull****..." you've lost your critical thinking skills and right to criticize the group.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Gotta be honest, been voting in Presidential elections since 1992. Can't remember ever voting in the general based upon the personal morality of a candidate rather than the policies he advocates.

In fairness to those candidates they all fell (or cultivated a persona that fell) within established bounds of religiosity. Their personal moralities were not much of an issue.

Trump-as-a-candidate did not labor under that yoke. In fact, he rather reveled in his amoral accomplishments.

But, that was more a topic for the 2016 POTUS race thread. What's done is done.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    You can be raised Sikh for 20 years but the day you wake up and say to yourself "you know what? I think they've been feeding me bull****..." you've lost your critical thinking skills and right to criticize the group.

That's second quartile thinking, buddy.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm not really sure what groking is, but it sounds like what happened in college after tequila.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

First, you’re too old to call me dude, dude.

Second, if you would actually push TDS aside and read what I wrote, you’d see I said if I never, dude, never, drove a Toyota I can’t tell you how bad they handle. Your response was essentially “well what if I drove a Toyota in the past”. Or in your words “they may have practiced a faith in the past”.

Duuuuuuuude.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    First, you’re too old to call me dude, dude.

Second, if you would actually push TDS aside and read what I wrote, you’d see I said if I never, dude, never, drove a Toyota I can’t tell you how bad they handle. Your response was essentially “well what if I drove a Toyota in the past”. Or in your words “they may have practiced a faith in the past”.

Duuuuuuuude.

misapplication of a metaphor is where you started. Thinking I care is your second mistake.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

Criticize the group all you want, but don’t try to tell them what they should and shouldn’t do based off their religion that you don’t partake in.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    misapplication of a metaphor is where you started. Thinking I care is your second mistake.

You replied when I wasn’t addressing you, but I guess that’s some weird indication you don’t care.

It wasnt a misapplied metaphor. Just because you no comprendo doesn’t mean it was. It’s obvious you didn’t understand it when you tried using the “well they could’ve been part of the faith before”. Dude.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think some people focus more on character flaws without a willingness to acknowledge positive policy initiative results that have benefited a number of people that are actually happy with the results.

Once again it boils down to policy.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Criticize the group all you want, but don’t try to tell them what they should and shouldn’t do based off their religion that you don’t partake in.

So I can criticize the group but I can't tell them what they should or shouldn't do?
    Westboro baptists it's not very nice harassing mourners at funerals. Im not going to tell you not to do it because that's not my place, but just letting you know it's not good and probably not what jesus wants.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    So I can criticize the group but I can't tell them what they should or shouldn't do?
    Westboro baptists it's not very nice harassing mourners at funerals. Im not going to tell you not to do it because that's not my place, but just letting you know it's not good and probably not what jesus wants.

What do you think gives you the right to tell anyone what they should or shouldn’t do? I’d hate to live next door to you.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

Let's keep it simple. If a certain religious sect partakes in human sacrifice, it isn't your conviction that you can criticize them (or enact a law against such practices)?

Or if you don't like to talk about your acceptance of capital crimes in the name of religion, how about bigamy?

Where have you been hiding?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Let's keep it simple. If a certain religious sect partakes in human sacrifice, it isn't your conviction that you can criticize them (or enact a law against such practices)?

Or if you don't like to talk about your acceptance of capital crimes in the name of religion, how about bigamy?

Where have you been hiding?

Im gonna direct you to post 813. You don’t care remember, dude? So don’t try to brush off a comment when you have no reply, then reinsert yourself to the conversation when you think you can make a point. Also, for future reference, try not to use the most extreme of cases to support your argument. Human sacrifice? :): Oooooook.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom