Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Of course. And neither is Biden's. I see it more as a sampling-type poll. The fair presumption is that the general-only voters will vote in roughly the same ratios as the primary voters. That's a big assumption, of course, but I think it is fair. It may be close, but I don't see any significant risk that Indiana will go blue in November.

Interesting theory. But FiveThirtyEight blog says voter turnout in primaries means nothing for general elections.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Interesting theory. But FiveThirtyEight blog says voter turnout in primaries means nothing for general elections.

Specific to Indiana?

2016 Primary:
    Republican total votes - ~1.5M.
    Dem total votes - ~640k.

So, you would think the Republican would win.

2016 General:
    Republican - ~1.5M.
    Dem - ~1M.

Now, the Dems picked up about 400k non-primary voters, in a very contentious race.

Can't read much into 2012, but for completeness....

2012 Primary:
    Republican - ~590k.
    Dem - (Obama was uncontested.)

2012 General:
    Republican - ~1.4M
    Dem - ~1.1M.

The 2008 cycle brings us back to some comparators.

2008 Primary:
    Republican - ~411k.
    Dem - ~1.3M

So, you'd think the Dem would win.

2008 General:
    Republican - ~1.345M
    Dem (Obama) - ~1.375M

Now, it is clearly not a predictor of margin, but in the last couple cycles there is enough to support the theory. I'll try to go back a bit further, if you want.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Specific to Indiana?

2016 Primary:
    Republican total votes - ~1.5M.
    Dem total votes - ~640k.

So, you would think the Republican would win.

2016 General:
    Republican - ~1.5M.
    Dem - ~1M.

Now, the Dems picked up about 400k non-primary voters, in a very contentious race.

Can't read much into 2012, but for completeness....

2012 Primary:
    Republican - ~590k.
    Dem - (Obama was uncontested.)

2012 General:
    Republican - ~1.4M
    Dem - ~1.1M.

The 2008 cycle brings us back to some comparators.

2008 Primary:
    Republican - ~411k.
    Dem - ~1.3M

So, you'd think the Dem would win.

2008 General:
    Republican - ~1.345M
    Dem (Obama) - ~1.375M

Now, it is clearly not a predictor of margin, but in the last couple cycles there is enough to support the theory. I'll try to go back a bit further, if you want.

What? Why are you saying I’m saying things I didn’t say. I just said 538 said that voter turnout in primary elections is meaningless. Of course Republicans will win in MAGA country.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    What? Why are you saying I’m saying things I didn’t say. I just said 538 said that voter turnout in primary elections is meaningless. Of course Republicans will win in MAGA country.

We're seriously having communication problems this morning.

I was talking about Indiana primary/general elections. You brought up 538 observing no correlation between primary and general voters. I asked whether that was specific to Indiana, because I believe there is an identifiable trend here. I'm not saying 538 is completely wrong; I'm just saying that they might not be right about Indiana.

And MAGA country has only existed since 2016, technically. So we don't know what will happen in a new cycle. Since Indiana went blue in 2008, there's precedent for Indiana going that way.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    We're seriously having communication problems this morning.

I was talking about Indiana primary/general elections. You brought up 538 observing no correlation between primary and general voters. I asked whether that was specific to Indiana, because I believe there is an identifiable trend here. I'm not saying 538 is completely wrong; I'm just saying that they might not be right about Indiana.

And MAGA country has only existed since 2016, technically. So we don't know what will happen in a new cycle. Since Indiana went blue in 2008, there's precedent for Indiana going that way.

I think you would have enough there to identify a coincidence.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think you would have enough there to identify a coincidence.

giphy.gif

2004, Bush was uncontested.

2000 Primary:
    Republican - ~406k
    Dem - ~293k

So, you'd think the Republican would win.

2000 General:
    Republican (Bush) - ~1.2M
    Dem (Gore) - ~900k.

Aaaand the Republican won.

1996 Primary:
    Republican - ~516k
    Dem (Clinton, the incumbent, was only candidate) - ~329k

1996 General:*
    Republican (Dole) - ~1M
    Dem - ~890k.

More Republican voters in the primary and the Republican won the General (although lost nationally).

* And that was with Perot getting ~225k.

Looks like the 1992 and earlier data isn't as available. So I'll stop there.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    INGO 2019 - JAMES MATTIS FOR PRESIDENT, MAD DOG YOLO 420, BRO IS HARDCORE BADASS

INGO 2020 - omg mattis is a nevertrumper rhino liberal

Well, Benedict Arnold was a respected member of the military, too - until, you know ... he made that fateful wrong turn

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    giphy.gif

2004, Bush was uncontested.

2000 Primary:
    Republican - ~406k
    Dem - ~293k

So, you'd think the Republican would win.

2000 General:
    Republican (Bush) - ~1.2M
    Dem (Gore) - ~900k.

Aaaand the Republican won.

1996 Primary:
    Republican - ~516k
    Dem (Clinton, the incumbent, was only candidate) - ~329k

1996 General:*
    Republican (Dole) - ~1M
    Dem - ~890k.

More Republican voters in the primary and the Republican won the General (although lost nationally).

* And that was with Perot getting ~225k.

Looks like the 1992 and earlier data isn't as available. So I'll stop there.

This is like stock trading based on technical analysis.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So Mattis is a traitor?

My, my. We are certainly willing to adopt the hyperbole and lack of nuance, the we elsewhere condemn, when it suits us

The quote responded to was referencing/passive-aggressively criticizing part of INGO changing it's cumulative opinion of Mattis based on his being at odds with the president. Perhaps I should have used Judas as the example, although there is some evidence that Arnold was influenced by no higher ideal than money - so Mattis might have that in common

For me, the jury is still out. One explaination I could see is Mattis remains loyal to his beloved military and knows that troops being used in the manner proposed would be lose-lose and a ****ty stick indeed

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My, my. We are certainly willing to adopt the hyperbole and lack of nuance, the we elsewhere condemn, when it suits us

The quote responded to was referencing/passive-aggressively criticizing part of INGO changing it's cumulative opinion of Mattis based on his being at odds with the president. Perhaps I should have used Judas as the example, although there is some evidence that Arnold was influenced by no higher ideal than money - so Mattis might have that in common

For me, the jury is still out. One explaination I could see is Mattis remains loyal to his beloved military and knows that troops being used in the manner proposed would be lose-lose and a ****ty stick indeed

You kinda added the whole Benedict Arnold thing. I think that made the question reasonable. Especially since you guys tend to throw out the term "traitor" often enough. That's not hyperbole to ask that question.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Well, during Hillary's run it was 50% deplorable, so four years of Trump have improved the situation by 70 to 80%! Bonus!

Well... biden was probably saying something similar.

50% of Trumps supporters were deplorables according to hitlary. 63 million votes for Trump so roughly 32 million people were deplorable.

Total US population 328 million... 10% of that is 32 million... roughly same number of "bad" Americans according to biden.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well... biden was probably saying something similar.

50% of Trumps supporters were deplorables according to hitlary. 63 million votes for Trump so roughly 32 million people were deplorable.

Total US population 328 million... 10% of that is 32 million... roughly same number of "bad" Americans according to biden.

So he's including children.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom