Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If I had a LOT of money I would run for king of the world and hire the hildebeest to suicide the opposition and then hire people to run the world so I could go back to shooting and fishing.

I'm not sure you can pay her price. She only takes souls as payment.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    We don't really have a general "economy" thread... so just dropping this here anyway, could be election-related?

Major CEOs that stepped down in the past month:

Disney, Mastercard, LBrands, Uber Eats, Hulu, MGM, IBM, LinkedIn, Salesforce, Morgan Stanley, Nestle, co-founder of BlackRock...

Also notable:

Decline in valuations in past 2 days:

Apple: -$110 billion
    Microsoft: -$80 billion
    Google: -$66 billion
    Amazon: -$61 billion
    Facebook: -$38 billion
    Tesla: -$19 billion
    Alibaba: -$18 billion
    Netflix: -$9 billion
    Uber: -$8 billion

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Anyone interested in talking about the victorious presidential campaign that is suing a prominent newspaper for defamation for an opinion piece?

Not the candidate, apparently, but the campaign.

Notwithstanding the technical legal issues (like "standing"), is this a good thing for the 1A? Granted, the 1A forbids the gov't from doing things, not a private entity. Just an interesting interaction because the candidate won national office, so is a (significant) part of the government.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Anyone interested in talking about the victorious presidential campaign that is suing a prominent newspaper for defamation for an opinion piece?

Not the candidate, apparently, but the campaign.

Notwithstanding the technical legal issues (like "standing"), is this a good thing for the 1A? Granted, the 1A forbids the gov't from doing things, not a private entity. Just an interesting interaction because the candidate won national office, so is a (significant) part of the government.

At first I thought maybe you were talking about this...

[h=1]Obama demands pro-Trump group stop using his voice to attack Biden[/h]
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/20...mp-group-stop-using-his-voice-attack-n1143776

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Actually I did. But at any rate, care to elaborate on what you were talking about?

Trump's campaign suing the NY Times over one of their Russia Russia Russia! opinion pieces. Links abound.

ETA:
    I don't care that it is Trump's campaign. Any campaign that did this would be problematic IMHO. Trump just happens to be the first (to my knowledge).

The Obama thing is meh to me. Its like when musicians get upset that candidates are using their music. Whatevs.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Trump's campaign suing the NY Times over one of their Russia Russia Russia! opinion pieces. Links abound.

ETA:
    I don't care that it is Trump's campaign. Any campaign that did this would be problematic IMHO. Trump just happens to be the first (to my knowledge).

The Obama thing is meh to me. Its like when musicians get upset that candidates are using their music. Whatevs.

I hadn't heard anything about Trump's campaign suing the NY Times. That seems kinda "meh" too. As you said, the campaign is not part of the government. Obama however, was a very big part of the government, even though he no longer is. So in my view, they're about on equal footing.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I hadn't heard anything about Trump's campaign suing the NY Times. That seems kinda "meh" too. As you said, the campaign is not part of the government. Obama however, was a very big part of the government, even though he no longer is. So in my view, they're about on equal footing.

Seriously?

So Carter and Trump are on the same footing in terms of influence?

Dude. The POTUS, while in office, authorized his campaign to sue a newspaper for publishing an opinion.

Had Obama done that to Brietbart, the Birthers-now-Trump-supporters would have been apoplectic. (And I'd have been the same level of uncomfortable as I am now.)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

ETA:

Is this a good thing for free speech? I don't see how you could argue that it ISN'T free speech that's happening. So which part of free speech do you restrict. The right for someone to write an op-ed piece fabricating "news", or, restrict someone's right to claim some kind of damage by it? I haven't read what the op ed said, and I haven't read anything about what the law suit alleges, or exactly who is suing. But, the idea itself doesn't bother me as long as it's not wasting the money I pay in taxes. The courts are free to rule that the law suit is nonsense. So this subject is pretty meh to me.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Seriously?

Dude. The POTUS, while in office, authorized his campaign to sue a newspaper for publishing an opinion.

Had Obama done that to Brietbart, the Birthers-now-Trump-supporters would have been apoplectic. (And I'd have been the same level of uncomfortable as I am now.)

Meh.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Is this a good thing for free speech? I don't see how you could argue that it ISN'T free speech that's happening. So which part of free speech do you restrict. The right for someone to write an op-ed piece fabricating "news", or, restrict someone's right to claim some kind of damage by it? I haven't read what the op ed said, and I haven't read anything about what the law suit alleges, or exactly who is suing. But, the idea itself doesn't bother me as long as it's not wasting the money I pay in taxes. The courts are free to rule that the law suit is nonsense. So this subject is pretty meh to me.
    Fair enough, I guess.

The legal parts of it are interesting in an inside-baseball kind of way.

The policy issue is that this is akin to a SLAPP suit. (Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation.) Whether they win or lose isn't as important as making it expensive for the other guy to exercise a right.

Trump campaigned on limiting the 1A, and he's testing a new way of doing it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Seriously?

Creating fake news this morning? They knowingly published false information about the President and administration, that their very own reporting makes clear was not true.

Where in the constitution does the President lose the rights enjoyed by all citizens? If the jury decides for them, and it is a tough legal road so be it. Like the KY kids suing, maybe the lying media will try to get it right.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Where in the constitution does the President lose the rights enjoyed by all citizens? If the jury decides for them, and it is a tough legal road so be it. Like the KY kids suing, maybe the lying media will try to get it right.

Remember that when a Dem does it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Remember that when a Dem does it.

I would add, there is a balance and we are out of balance with the legacy media in its death shivers. And while I do not want to change the legal standards for defamation etc. I can understand why a guy so relentlessly attacked by the legacy media would.

Analysis of legacy media coverage of Trump shows 96% negative, maybe a suit or so like this will make them a little more careful in what they publish...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Creating fake news this morning? They knowingly published false information about the President and administration, that their very own reporting makes clear was not true.

It's an op ed. It's opinion. That some people take it as "news" is the fault of the idiots who take it as news.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

I'm not sure I agree with suing a paper for the content of an opinion article. If it had been posted as news and was knowingly false, that would be a different beast altogether.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I would add, there is a balance and we are out of balance with the legacy media in its death shivers. And while I do not want to change the legal standards for defamation etc. I can understand why a guy so relentlessly attacked by the legacy media would.

Analysis of legacy media coverage of Trump shows 96% negative, maybe a suit or so like this will make them a little more careful in what they publish...

I would be fine if the media went back to the fairness doctrine. However, that doesn't apply to opinion pieces. If they're clearly in the opinion section of a news paper, or a clearly opinion oriented political show on air or streaming, they have every right to make their opinions known. Sean Hanity surely can't be considered hard news. He's a pundit expressing opinions. So is Rachel Madcow.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Seriously?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...rolling-for-lent-2020-02-26?mod=mw_latestnews
    What the pope wants Catholics to give up for Lent: trolling

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom