The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No he was talking about the "go back to where they came from" comment made by Trump.

Oh, that. Why are we still taking about that? Why is the default assumption that the primary impetus is race or racism? He could just as easily recommended that a given smarmy whining Brit go back to where zhe came from, not withstanding that only one of the four Horses' ass of the Apocalypse is from a different country. Maybe xenophobia, but even that infers assumptions.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You don't understand - Trump critics "cannot possibly read his mind" even when he says what's on his mind and acts in ways consistent with what he says.

But, Trump supporters can glean all they need to know about a politician from what party he or she belongs to.

Welcome to 2020, which will seem a whole lot like 2016.

This argument line is significantly weakened by those same Trump critics being unable to divine what Trump really means when he consistently pushes for something like border security and immigration reform. Then it devolves into mind-reading about how he doesn't really mean it and it's all a cynical play to his base or he's going about it the wrong way or by the wrong means. It seems a selective 'blindness of convenience', shaded in only one direction and used to alibi continuous criticism of him regardless of what he does because these people think somehow his being president reflects on them. Perhaps they should just vote Democrat; again, since it seems likely they already did so

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Oh, that. Why are we still taking about that? Why is the default assumption that the primary impetus is race or racism? He could just as easily recommended that a given smarmy whining Brit go back to where zhe came from, not withstanding that only one of the four Horses' ass of the Apocalypse is from a different country. Maybe xenophobia, but even that infers assumptions.

That kid seemed to think it was exactly that.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Oh, by the way; feeding into the narrative that all Republicans are secretly or overtly racist - Reagan is now a racist based on one shred of evidence [I apologize that it's CNN, perhaps wear gloves or wash your hands really good after clicking]

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/31/opinions/reagan-nixon-racist-phone-call-joseph/index.html
    Reagan's racist call with Nixon echoes strongly today

And some perspective, since we can't really expect any from the usual suspects

https://spectator.org/on-ronald-reagans-racism/
    On Ronald Reagan’s ‘Racism’
    A single mistake does not a racist make.

If the usual suspects can't parse your every current action in racist terms, they will comb your entire past - even if you're long dead - to make the case you are [racist, misogynistic, anti-LGBTQ+ etc]. Your actual deeds that cannot be construed as [pick one] will be ignored or downplayed as mere semblance and showmanship - not the real you [only the usual suspects are erudite and pure enough to discern the real you, of course]

You really do have a permanent record

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Spent some time recently with extended family. Several of them are former Trump supporters. They can't really articulate much in terms of policy, but mostly reflect that he's a just a jerk. Their support was grounded in the obscure concept of making America great, but - their words - he just tries to divide us.

My "support" (such as it is) is grounded in the not so vague concept that the leftists are worse than a loudmouth jerk of a somewhat right-leaning populist.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    My support for Trump stems from the fact he is the best thing to happen to America in quite a while. I could not care less what he tweets or says or that he offends dumocraps. He is doing his best to save America from them. I pray it is enough.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Oh, by the way; feeding into the narrative that all Republicans are secretly or overtly racist - Reagan is now a racist based on one shred of evidence [I apologize that it's CNN, perhaps wear gloves or wash your hands really good after clicking]

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/31/opinions/reagan-nixon-racist-phone-call-joseph/index.html
    Reagan's racist call with Nixon echoes strongly today

And some perspective, since we can't really expect any from the usual suspects

https://spectator.org/on-ronald-reagans-racism/
    On Ronald Reagan’s ‘Racism’
    A single mistake does not a racist make.

If the usual suspects can't parse your every current action in racist terms, they will comb your entire past - even if you're long dead - to make the case you are [racist, misogynistic, anti-LGBTQ+ etc]. Your actual deeds that cannot be construed as [pick one] will be ignored or downplayed as mere semblance and showmanship - not the real you [only the usual suspects are erudite and pure enough to discern the real you, of course]

You really do have a permanent record

"...Strapping young buck."
    -RR

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1157351233646223360

Don Jr said:
    No we just get daily death threats and exploding packages of white powder sent to our homes you piece of garbage.

EA-8z2rW4AAYiHR

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Because its all about the base, about the base...
    DJT Campaign email said:
    It’s true - the Mainstream Media is absolutely OUT OF CONTROL.

They’ve spent YEARS spewing LIES to the American people to try to take me down. They no longer care about accurate reporting and it’s getting worse by the day.

They are truly the Enemy of the People!

Outlets like CNN and MSNBC can’t accept the fact that the WITCH HUNT they pushed for OVER TWO YEARS turned out to be a total farce, and now they’re spiraling out of control. No wonder their ratings are so terrible!

Since the media won’t tell the truth about all of our great accomplishments, it’s up to real American Patriots, like YOU, to hold them accountable.

This is your chance to let the mainstream media know that we are FINISHED putting up with their constant lies and attacks.

The duty of the media is to accurately inform the public, and our current national media has COMPLETELY FAILED in that regard.

[take some survey and donate money in the process]

(Emphasis in the original.)

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The worst part about those emails is you know the people they target and get donations from are the least able to afford it. Like prosperity gospel preachers. Probably a lot of overlap.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The worst part about those emails is you know the people they target and get donations from are the least able to afford it. Like prosperity gospel preachers.

That's because the people of less limited means have already given significantly. If there were no limits, I could give up to the 50% of my tax level and break even, because of how much those taxes won't go up to fund all the free **** when the Democrats lose

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My Dad's nickname was Buck. When I was growing up it was a compliment to call a young man a strapping young buck. There was absolutely NOTHING racist about it.

"Buck" has been a euphemism for "black guy" since at least Reconstruction. Geographically, it is probably most common in the South, and among older generations it is/was common.

I'm not sure how old you are, but... well... I don't think the timing matches up.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    "Buck" has been a euphemism for "black guy" since at least Reconstruction. Geographically, it is probably most common in the South, and among older generations it is/was common.

I'm not sure how old you are, but... well... I don't think the timing matches up.

Maybe some places but definitely not in Minnesota. And yes, I am an old fart.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Maybe some places but definitely not in Minnesota. And yes, I am an old fart.

Well, I can certainly relate that the most extensive use of the term involved seasons and tags, in that part of the country.

But, do you remember Reagan using the phrase? If so, what did you think?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom