The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Insult to Cummings aside, I am inclined to agree. Baltimore's ills, as I would say with most cities with issues, stems from the local government, not federal elected representatives. The can get the money sent to places that are in need, but don't have much of say in how it's administered.
    If they can get the funds appropriated then they sure as hell should have a critical voice in how those funds are administered if there is never any benefit to the constituent or misuse of those funds.

Trump engages with a critical voice and it’s considered to be racist. Many look past that and are able to see that there is some amount of merit to that criticism and those that are on the receiving end shoul nt be immune from it because of race.

That’s why I believe Trump’s criticism of Cummings isn’t a racial thing. He’s saying to Cummings that maybe he should be more engaged in the criticism of how things are handled on the local level in his district.

Trump pointed out that Cummings was so quick to be critical about the way things are handled on the federal level with the condition of the illegal detainees but doesn’t seem to engage with the same level of concern with how conditions are for his own constituents concerning the mismanagement on the local level in his own district.

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    That wasn't said, nor implied. I have no issue with Black Republicans nor conservatives, in fact I consider myself a Black conservative that's voted Republican more than Democrat. My issue is with the ignorant or opportunists Black people that support Donald Trump. By the way, which people did I specifically mention in this thread? I cannot recall calling anyone out here.

Unless Dr. Sowell has changed his mind since retirement he supports Trump. The last time I read one of Dr. Williams' columns he did as well. Likely because both are wise enough to put a higher importance on actions/policies than words and tweets. That doesn't mean they, or anyone else, always likes his words or tweets, it just means his actions are far more important. I think your hatred of Trump has made you irrational on any subject having to do with him and frankly, I find your comments quoted again below far worse than anything Trump has said or tweeted.

By the way, which people did I specifically mention in this thread? I cannot recall calling anyone out here.

Jericho Green is entitled to his opinion. He's another one cut from the same cloth as Diamond and Silk and Candace Owens. People that know full well their opinions will be seized upon, by those looking for reinforcemnet. There have always been those willing to do whatever to work in the house.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I can't help but think that. They're people that have no sense of history.

Watch this clip, and tell me what you think of this young man talking.

I guess we're talking about the Baltimore/****hole thing? I think the young man is inferring some meaning that isn't really that obvious. But I don't blame him for that. The tweet is inartful, crass, and whatnot. I call Baltimore a ****hole, because it's a ****hole. But I'm not the president. There's nothing inherently racial in it, but I can see why a young black man, given the hyperbolic reporting about race the past few years, might interpret it as a dogwhistle. I really don't see how Trump needs to court white nationalists. He doesn't need them to beat bat **** crazy democrats. He just needs to look saner than them, which isn't really all that hard to do given the bunch running. So I think this young man is mistaken about the motives.

Baltimore is not a ****hole because the people running the city are black. It's a ****hole because they're all far left Democrats, and there is no one on an opposing side to hinder their "progress" in adopting policies which keep people in poverty and dependent on them. And I don't mind the president taking Elijah Cummings to task for it, because he's a major player in the Democratic machine that keeps people dependent. I think it would have way more impact if Trump used language that would appeal to more people, such that it would be harder for people like this to take it as a dog whistle.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I guess we're talking about the Baltimore/****hole thing? I think the young man is inferring some meaning that isn't really that obvious. But I don't blame him for that. The tweet is inartful, crass, and whatnot. I call Baltimore a ****hole, because it's a ****hole. But I'm not the president. There's nothing inherently racial in it, but I can see why a young black man, given the hyperbolic reporting about race the past few years, might interpret it as a dogwhistle. I really don't see how Trump needs to court white nationalists. He doesn't need them to beat bat **** crazy democrats. He just needs to look saner than them, which isn't really all that hard to do given the bunch running. So I think this young man is mistaken about the motives.

Baltimore is not a ****hole because the people running the city are black. It's a ****hole because they're all far left Democrats, and there is no one on an opposing side to hinder their "progress" in adopting policies which keep people in poverty and dependent on them. And I don't mind the president taking Elijah Cummings to task for it, because he's a major player in the Democratic machine that keeps people dependent. I think it would have way more impact if Trump used language that would appeal to more people, such that it would be harder for people like this to take it as a dog whistle.

No he was talking about the "go back to where they came from" comment made by Trump.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Unless Dr. Sowell has changed his mind since retirement he supports Trump. The last time I read one of Dr. Williams' columns he did as well. Likely because both are wise enough to put a higher importance on actions/policies than words and tweets. That doesn't mean they, or anyone else, always likes his words or tweets, it just means his actions are far more important. I think your hatred of Trump has made you irrational on any subject having to do with him and frankly, I find your comments quoted again below far worse than anything Trump has said or tweeted.

Jericho Green is entitled to his opinion. He's another one cut from the same cloth as Diamond and Silk and Candace Owens. People that know full well their opinions will be seized upon, by those looking for reinforcemnet. There have always been those willing to do whatever to work in the house.

Uh what? Dr. Sowell supports Donald Trump? Where in the world did you get that? I've heard plenty of criticisms of Donald Trump by Sowell. So I guess now Sowell is not longer someone you consider worthy of listening to? As far as approaching any of the people I called out, we would have to arrange a time for that to happen, because I'm not going to learn to tap dance just so I can talk to them.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    67497325_2430597897030352_5318694655334809600_n.jpg

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    He is merely one corrupt, enept politician, a dime-a-dozen type. This really speaks to the incredible ignorance of the voters there.

I agree, you can extend that to nearly every rep though. Reminds me of the quip about congress having a 17% approval rating yet everyone thinks their particular congressman is one of the good ones. There are only a handful of actual good ones.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Insult to Cummings aside, I am inclined to agree. Baltimore's ills, as I would say with most cities with issues, stems from the local government, not federal elected representatives. The can get the money sent to places that are in need, but don't have much of say in how it's administered.

So if you're elected Representative or Senator, you have no bully pulpit from which to affect and shape events in your district/state? Who knew? You mean they couldn't use their influence on other members on, say, the appropriations committee to affect how appropriations are spent within the state they represent?

If those jobs are so powerless to affect conditions on the home front, why do those seeking them always promise to change those very conditions? Do they not realize they are lying and leading people on, or are they just cynical grifters. Why do they even run for such impotent positions?

Oh, that's right. (Net worth x 9) in only a single year

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So if you're elected Representative or Senator, you have no bully pulpit from which to affect and shape events in your district/state? Who knew? You mean they couldn't use their influence on other members on, say, the appropriations committee to affect how appropriations are spent within the state they represent?

If those jobs are so powerless to affect conditions on the home front, why do those seeking them always promise to change those very conditions? Do they not realize they are lying and leading people on, or are they just cynical grifters. Why do they even run for such impotent positions?

Oh, that's right. (Net worth x 9) in only a single year

If this is the argument you're going to make, theres damn near not any Rep or Senator that isn't to blame for the ills of even one city in their state. Mike Pence had Muncie in his congressional district, didn't he? Was he as equally corrupt and "enept" as Cummings?
    And if you don't mind, please give me an example of a Rep of Senator in Indiana using the bully pulpit to steer the direction of local politics.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm not from Indiana, don't follow your politics very closely, but actually I would accept your argument. Trump is in office precisely because too many representatives of both parties were more focused on doing good by doing well - the political equivalent of the 'gospel' of prosperity. Except where the good of the nation supersedes, one's representatives should absolutely be doing what's in the best interest of the people they represent. And that would include on occasion telling them that free **** isn't the answer; rolling up your sleeves and making a place for yourself in the world is, because the geese laying the free **** eggs eventually tire of the workload.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    And yes, free trade globalist Republicans are absolutely culpable for the hollowing out of American manufacturing and the cutting off of the first couple steps on that ladder to prosperity that people of minimal means and education relied on
    They should hunger for success for everyone they represent and should realize that policies that weaken America will never benefit their constituents in the long run

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    All these liberal congressdroids are bought and paid for. They are told how to vote and they vote as a block the way they are told. They are promised personal wealth and they jumped at it. It is a tiny step to lose your integrity if you never had any.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Uh what? Dr. Sowell supports Donald Trump? Where in the world did you get that? I've heard plenty of criticisms of Donald Trump by Sowell. So I guess now Sowell is not longer someone you consider worthy of listening to? As far as approaching any of the people I called out, we would have to arrange a time for that to happen, because I'm not going to learn to tap dance just so I can talk to them.

Seems pretty clear to me that Dr. Sowell doesn't care for Trump's words or probably him as a person but supports his policies(except tariffs) and certainly prefers him to a Democrat.

A discussion of "Words vs. Deeds" before the election.

From shortly after the Election.

In support of Trump's Tax Cuts post inauguration.

In support of General Mattis and other Trump nominees.

In support of Betsy DeVos.

But really, that is not the point, the point is your own disgraceful comments, which you... is it tripled?? down now on in this response.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    All these liberal congressdroids are bought and paid for. They are told how to vote and they vote as a block the way they are told. They are promised personal wealth and they jumped at it. It is a tiny step to lose your integrity if you never had any.

No need for the 'liberal' qualifier. Both sides of congress perfectly fit your description.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    That is almost true but there are a handful of conservative congressdroids that still vote as if they had a functioning brain so it is not quite perfect.

Ah so all Democratic and 98% of Republicans fit. Actually Amash isn't a Republican anymore so it'd be 99%. Thomas Massie and ?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Seems pretty clear to me that Dr. Sowell doesn't care for Trump's words or probably him as a person but supports his policies(except tariffs) and certainly prefers him to a Democrat.

A discussion of "Words vs. Deeds" before the election.

From shortly after the Election.

In support of Trump's Tax Cuts post inauguration.

In support of General Mattis and other Trump nominees.

In support of Betsy DeVos.

But really, that is not the point, the point is your own disgraceful comments, which you... is it tripled?? down now on in this response.

It is the point. I made mention of pro-Trump Black people being either ignorant or opportunists. You presented Thomas Sowell as a rebuttal. It seems fairly clear that you haven't really looked into what Sowell thinks concerning Trump.

Thomas Sowell on Trump before the election:
    If ever there was a time when we needed a serious, mature President of the United States, with a depth of knowledge and a foundation of personal character — a grownup in the White House — this is that time. But seldom a week goes by without Donald Trump demonstrating, yet again, that he is painfully lacking in all these prerequisites.
    Instead of offering coherent plans for dealing with the nation's problems, Trump skips that and boasts of the great things he will achieve. Those who dare to question are answered with cheap putdowns, often at a gutter level.
    A man in his 60s, who is still acting like a spoiled adolescent, is not going to grow up in the next four years. And, as President, he would have the lives of us all, and our loved ones, in his hands, as well as the fate of this great nation at a fateful time.There are signs that some people are belatedly waking up to the dangers that Donald Trump represents. We can only hope that the voters in Wisconsin are among them — and that voters in New York, California and elsewhere wake up before it is too late.

Thomas Sowell on Trump's Trade War:
    Oh my gosh, an utter disaster. I happen to believe that the Smoot-Hawley tariffs had more to do with setting off the Great Depression of the 1930s than the stock market crash. Unemployment never reached double digits in any of the 12 months that followed the crash of October 1929, but it hit double digits within six months of passage of Smoot-Hawley, and stayed there for a decade.

Thomas Sowell on Trump saying we're being "ripped off" by trade surpluses:
    [FONT=&amp]It’s pathetic. The very phrase “trade surpluses” gives half a story. There are countries that supply mainly goods, physical goods, and there are other things like services that other countries provide, and the United States gets a lot of money from providing services. To talk about one part of the trading and ignore the other part fails to understand that money is money no matter whether it’s from goods or services.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]When you set off a trade war, like any other war, you have no idea how that’s going to end. You’re going to be blindsided by all kinds of consequences. You do not make America great again by raising the price to Americans, which is what a tariff does.[/FONT]

Thomas Sowell is neither ignorant nor an opportunist. He plays it even and calls it as he sees it. I think it's a pretty fair bet, regardless of some of Trump's policies he agrees with, that he's not "pro" Trump.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom