The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Well, I can certainly relate that the most extensive use of the term involved seasons and tags, in that part of the country.

But, do you remember Reagan using the phrase? If so, what did you think?

Nope, I don't remember ever hearing about it.

Yes, bucks are revered around here even though a nice doe will probably be better eating. That is until the darn things start playing on the highways.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    "Buck" has been a euphemism for "black guy" since at least Reconstruction. Geographically, it is probably most common in the South, and among older generations it is/was common.

I'm not sure how old you are, but... well... I don't think the timing matches up.

Oddly enough, in a cursory google search of the meaning of 'young buck' (first three pages) I can't find a single entry that mentions anything about race. All of the definitions speak to young man or teenager. Even the definitions on Urban Dictionary only refer to a black man when they speak about David Darnell Brown whose stage name is Young Buck

Who knew the dictionaries had been so thoroughly infiltrated

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Oddly enough, in a cursory google search of the meaning of 'young buck' (first three pages) I can't find a single entry that mentions anything about race. All of the definitions speak to young man or teenager. Even the definitions on Urban Dictionary only refer to a black man when they speak about David Darnell Brown whose stage name is Young Buck

Who knew the dictionaries had been so thoroughly infiltrated

I've heard the expression (and used it like nonobaddog said - to describe a strong young man), as in, "man, I could use a couple of strapping young bucks to help me move this hide-a-bed" (or do other heavy work). The only time I've heard it in a racial context was when it was followed by the n-word. Then, the "strapping" part was usually left off. Guess it must be a regional/contextual thing. :dunno:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I doubt if Reagan meant anything racial either, just an expression. But here it is 40 years later and the left is still regurgitating it when convenient. I guess that won't go away either since the left must create and nurture racism any way they can to keep the blacks in line and voting dumocrap.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I doubt if Reagan meant anything racial either, just an expression. But here it is 40 years later and the left is still regurgitating it when convenient. I guess that won't go away either since the left must create and nurture racism any way they can to keep the blacks in line and voting dumocrap.

Yep. Mom's advice still rings true... "If you keep picking at that, it will never heal."

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I've heard the expression (and used it like nonobaddog said - to describe a strong young man), as in, "man, I could use a couple of strapping young bucks to help me move this hide-a-bed" (or do other heavy work). The only time I've heard it in a racial context was when it was followed by the n-word. Then, the "strapping" part was usually left off. Guess it must be a regional/contextual thing. :dunno:

I was born in suburban Philly, and though we moved to upstate NY we were back there a lot. From my aunts and uncles and my parents contemporaries I heard a fair amount of pretty racist dreck, but I never heard 'young buck' or 'strapping young buck' used at all. I have very limited experience in the south, though. Most of my exposure has been as a professional engineering consultant and the social dynamic is likely different and more formal

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Good point. I spent most of a year at Ft Gordon in Georgia and heard all sorts of racist crap from every angle too and never once heard the term "buck" used. Then I went to Germany, also in the Army and heard the same racist crap from every angle and about many races but never once heard the term "buck" used. Seems like it might be just a bit contrived.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Good point. I spent most of a year at Ft Gordon in Georgia and heard all sorts of racist crap from every angle too and never once heard the term "buck" used. Then I went to Germany, also in the Army and heard the same racist crap from every angle and about many races but never once heard the term "buck" used. Seems like it might be just a bit contrived.
    What about a "buck private"? ;)

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Buck_Owens-14-800x400.jpg
    buck-henry.jpg-11239.jpg
    a4cb7a9985a4683cecb45020fa8233f3.jpg

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This is just a lie, though. Consumers are paying more due to tarrifs, China isn't paying a cent of them. He knows it's a lie, and hopes people are too stupid to research his claims.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1157633906025402368

Trump said:
    Things are going along very well with China. They are paying us Tens of Billions of Dollars, made possible by their monetary devaluations and pumping in massive amounts of cash to keep their system going. So far our consumer is paying nothing - and no inflation. No help from Fed!

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom