The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Once again, Babylon Bee, but it's hard to tell it's not actually truth

https://babylonbee.com/news/we-are-...aWi0MYXOtxzyT1tnIvDkYigOR2p9iFvS_aqK1xSoyTdAI
    'We Are Living In A Totalitarian Nightmare,' Says Protester Freely Without Any Fear Of Government Retribution

WASHINGTON, D.C.—During a recent string of protests in Washington, one protester told reporters that "we are living in a totalitarian nightmare just like in The Handmaid's Tale," making the statement with absolutely no possibility of the government kidnapping and torturing her for her outspokenness.

The woman drew on her guaranteed free speech rights to state that "this government is like something out of a totalitarian dystopia," as police stood by guarding to ensure her and her fellow protesters' right to protest was protected.
    "Women literally have no rights," she said. "And we're losing more each and every day." She also said that her uterus has fewer rights than guns, though she admitted her uterus doesn't need a license, government registration, or a background check.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    "Women literally have no rights," she said. "And we're losing more each and every day."

wait.gif

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If you are serious, give him a line item veto

Huh?

Like, serious about veto/override? I'm pretty sure that's something we can agree exists. ;)

In terms of line-item veto, that's usually one of those things that people favor when "their guy" has it, but are against it when "the other side's guy" has it.

I can see the value of it, but IMHO that just injects another layer of politicking that undermines the power of the legislative to reach beneficial compromises. IMHO, the current system of checks and balances could be better improved by rescinding direct election of senators.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Huh?
    IMHO, the current system of checks and balances could be better improved by rescinding direct election of senators.

So I've not thought about this one a lot, but how does taking the power away from constituents, and giving more power to politicians (to choose senators), help the process? Not being snarky, just seems counter-intuitive to the power of the people being governed. Are people too stupid to choose wisely? Big city domination? Just curious to your point.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So I've not thought about this one a lot, but how does taking the power away from constituents, and giving more power to politicians (to chose senators), help the process? Not being snarky, just seems counter-intuitive to the power of the people being governed.

Yes, yes it does seem counterintuitive. :D

So, Senators are elected every 6 years, right? And, we know from experience *coff* Lugar *coff* that incumbent senators get re-elected more often than not. (Looks like Donnelly will probably appreciate this, too.)

But, governors are generally elected every 4 years. Back when senators were appointed, there WAS alot more smoke-filled room type negotiation for who would be senator, and fairly routinely, governors would appoint themselves senator. But, it meant that the office was more reflective of the voting blocks of the states. There was more riding on the vote for governor (and lt. governor) because that person would also decide the senator.

It also meant that the senators were more beholden to the politicians back home. If a senator strayed too far from the will of the governor, there was a chance they wouldn't be re-nominated. Because the senate is not population based, each senator wields more power; each governor then also wields more influence on behalf of the state within the federal government.

I will readily admit that it isn't a panacea for "drain the swamp." But, in terms of checks and balances, IMHO direct election of senators diluted the balance of power rather than improving it. And I think that's something that the original architects intuited, and that the politicians who implemented it knew that it would protect those in power.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    So I've not thought about this one a lot, but how does taking the power away from constituents, and giving more power to politicians (to choose senators), help the process? Not being snarky, just seems counter-intuitive to the power of the people being governed.
    Our government was to be one of divided sovereignty with the state governments and federal government each being sovereign in different areas. The fed said got the enumerated powers laid out in the constitution, everything else remained with the states.

Unsurprisingly, the Feds (under the auspices of federal judges) have never failed to grab more power whenever possible, hence the current state of affairs where growing a garden for your own consumption can be federally regulated as commerce "among the several states".

One of the big checks on the destruction of state sovereignty was that the state governments had a federal voice through election of senators to represent those governments. When that was taken away, it removed the last meaningful check on federal usurpation of state sovereignty.

An additional problem is that the framers designed the Senate and House to be elected by different people because they didn't want them to agree upon much. It was meant to be a limitation on the ability of the federal government to get out of control by making bodies with different interests have to agree before federal law could be passed. That has also been taken away.

mmpsteve

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    And if the governor appointed himself Senator, would the Lt. Governor then become Governor automatically?, and then appoint his own Lt. Governor? Just seems like a lot of opportunities for backroom, smoke-filled deals being made, and I'm not so sure I agree with that any more.

Yes, yes it does seem counterintuitive. :D

So, Senators are elected every 6 years, right? And, we know from experience *coff* Lugar *coff* that incumbent senators get re-elected more often than not. (Looks like Donnelly will probably appreciate this, too.)

But, governors are generally elected every 4 years. Back when senators were appointed, there WAS alot more smoke-filled room type negotiation for who would be senator, and fairly routinely, governors would appoint themselves senator. But, it meant that the office was more reflective of the voting blocks of the states. There was more riding on the vote for governor (and lt. governor) because that person would also decide the senator.

It also meant that the senators were more beholden to the politicians back home. If a senator strayed too far from the will of the governor, there was a chance they wouldn't be re-nominated. Because the senate is not population based, each senator wields more power; each governor then also wields more influence on behalf of the state within the federal government.

I will readily admit that it isn't a panacea for "drain the swamp." But, in terms of checks and balances, IMHO direct election of senators diluted the balance of power rather than improving it. And I think that's something that the original architects intuited, and that the politicians who implemented it knew that it would protect those in power.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    And if the governor appointed himself Senator, would the Lt. Governor then become Governor automatically?, and then appoint his own Lt. Governor? Just seems like a lot of opportunities for backroom, smoke-filled deals being made, and I'm not so sure I agree with that any more.

Depends on the State and it’s constitutional provisions for filling vacancies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmpsteve

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    I need to think about your post, but unfortunately, Gotta get to work, to pay the man.

Our government was to be one of divided sovereignty with the state governments and federal government each being sovereign in different areas. The fed said got the enumerated powers laid out in the constitution, everything else remained with the states.

Unsurprisingly, the Feds (under the auspices of federal judges) have never failed to grab more power whenever possible, hence the current state of affairs where growing a garden for your own consumption can be federally regulated as commerce "among the several states".

One of the big checks on the destruction of state sovereignty was that the state governments had a federal voice through election of senators to represent those governments. When that was taken away, it removed the last meaningful check on federal usurpation of state sovereignty.

An additional problem is that the framers designed the Senate and House to be elected by different people because they didn't want them to agree upon much. It was meant to be a limitation on the ability of the federal government to get out of control by making bodies with different interests have to agree before federal law could be passed. That has also been taken away.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Please don't get me wrong on this: there is room for reasonable people to disagree on this. :)

I remain convinced, though, that the original scheme was "better" and would like to see an incremental approach to going back to that.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I think that appointment stuff was more appropriate back when people had some honesty and integrity. These days it would just open the door for corruption and selling appointments like they do in Illinois.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Please don't get me wrong on this: there is room for reasonable people to disagree on this. :)

I remain convinced, though, that the original scheme was "better" and would like to see an incremental approach to going back to that.

I agree with this. As an aside, I was under the impression senators were appointed by the state legislatures? Perhaps I was mistaken... wouldn't be the first time, and likely not the last.

The old style did a lot to keep special interest money out of the senate. If you wanted to buy off senators you had to go to each state and buy THEM off. You couldn't just go to one place and buy several senators.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think that appointment stuff was more appropriate back when people had some honesty and integrity. These days it would just open the door for corruption and selling appointments like they do in Illinois.

Uh... there was never honesty and integrity in politics. :D Well, never as much as we'd like. :)

I agree with this. As an aside, I was under the impression senators were appointed by the state legislatures? Perhaps I was mistaken... wouldn't be the first time, and likely not the last.

The old style did a lot to keep special interest money out of the senate. If you wanted to buy off senators you had to go to each state and buy THEM off. You couldn't just go to one place and buy several senators.

Indeed, my memory was a bit off. The constitution called for the state legislatures to choose:
    https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/Direct_Election_Senators.htm

But, IIRC, in practice, states were allowed to come up with their own processes for nominations, with governors usually making the nomination.

Its good to be reminded once in awhile that, as bad as things are now, the good old days weren't all so good. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Day_of_the_Indiana_General_Assembly

mmpsteve

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    Fargo, sir, I don't mean to belabor the point, and I'm as big a states rights person as anyone, and think the Commerce clause was one of the big blunders in the Constitution, but can you explain what you meant here:

I don't understand what you mean by our ability to elect senators to represent our state was taken away.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't think there's much direct buying of politicians in dc unless you are mega rich. Beltway law/lobby firms do the legwork for a fee and provide a useful cutout.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Fargo, sir, I don't mean to belabor the point, and I'm as big a states rights person as anyone, and think the Commerce clause was one of the big blunders in the Constitution, but can you explain what you meant here:

I don't understand what you mean by our ability to elect senators to represent our state was taken away.

I think he meant when the state legislatures lost the ability to "elect" senators to represent the state governments, not "our" ability to elect senators (to represent "us").

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom