The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Too early to make that claim methinks. We need another year or two.....and I'm giving you a mulligan on the data so far under Trump.

facebook.png

If Keynesian economics were correct, tax revenues should have been horribly low. But okay. We'll see how it goes. The thing that's going to bust this nut is boom/bust. Eventually it has to end. It's not sustainable.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Why? I have a theory. Let me see if I can work it out here. My theory is that Postmodernism flipped (swapped) the shame triggers. What I mean by that, people feel ashamed for breaking the social rules. That circuitry is pretty much built in though not always activated.

Traditionally in the West, personal responsibility, self-reliance, charity, couth behavior, treat others like you want to be treated were the values. You fall short of those and you felt shame.

So now that the values have been effectively deconstructed, one side holds the other to different standards. To the right, who have not yet given up on traditional values, the left should feel ashamed of violating the right's values based on personal responsibility. But the left doesn't hold those values. They won't feel shame for breaking them, they'll likely feel pretty good about it.

To the left, the right should feel ashamed of violating the left's values based on collective responsibility. But, like the left, they're not going to care about breaking the left's values, and will probably feel pretty good about it.

This doesn't explain Trump, but it explains a lot of why neither side feels ashamed of what the other side accuses. For example, I don't feel ashamed of my white male privilege, and I don't think people should feel shame for that. It's possible they should feel shame for lying on applications, claiming they're a protected minority class when they're not.

And if Warren did that, she should clearly feel shame if she's any sort of a decent person. Should it preclude a run for the presidency? I don't think she's a good candidate for many many reasons, none of which have to do with her declaration of minority status. I think she can be an effective senator and is probably at the level of her competence.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And if Warren did that, she should clearly feel shame if she's any sort of a decent person. Should it preclude a run for the presidency? I don't think she's a good candidate for many many reasons, none of which have to do with her declaration of minority status. I think she can be an effective senator and is probably at the level of her competence.

Have you ever heard her question appointment nominees? She really comes off as stupid. Surprising for a Harvard law professor. But she kinda sounds like she wrote a bunch of words on rocks, shook them all up, and then picked out some rocks randomly and said the words. I assume that she asks stupid questions, possibly also asks questions stupidly, because she's a partisan and just can't help herself.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Aw, come on. Explain why you're calling "mulligan" as it relates to all of the data that's been provided.

To be clear, you're basically asking why we can't draw conclusions about the impact on the economy of the first year of changes to the tax code?

Is that really what you're asking?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Because the real impacts of changes in tax law take time to filter through the whole economy. If supply side trickle down works, it takes time to trickle. A couple of more years are necessary to assess the impact, even though the economists might be able to model expected results. The problem with the economists is that none of them agree with each other on any subject. :)

Edit: Thank you T. Lex. You can tell we aren't economists. We agree on the nature of the question.

EMDX6043

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2015
    Hammond
    I gather that you have a problem with the level of debt, so what would an acceptable level be?

I honestly don't know (percentage or otherwise), but gov't revenue is rising so I don't exactly see why that's necessarily bad. If revenue was plummeting, then yes, high levels of debt would be more concerning.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Interest related to the debt is the primary issue. Not so much a problem when borrowing rates are low, but factor in higher interest rates and the economy spends money on debt service rather than military or entitlements, etc. Everybody gets hurt. Print more money to pay off the interest and you get inflation. Fed restricts money supply, recession.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I, for one, am glad to see the old Alpo back.

All his general agreement with the INGO status quo in some recent threads was unsettling to my world order.

:ingo:

EMDX6043

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2015
    Hammond
    Interest rates are controlled by the Federal Reserve, so why would they effectively shoot themselves in the foot by raising the cost of borrowing money? That doesn't just make the govt spend more on interest payments, but everyone else.

Seems like higher interest rates can result in declining home buying, business expansion, or basically any activity that requires borrowing.

I guess I'm thinking out loud.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Interest rates are controlled by the Federal Reserve, so why would they effectively shoot themselves in the foot by raising the cost of borrowing money? That doesn't just make the govt spend more on interest payments, but everyone else.

Seems like higher interest rates can result in declining home buying, business expansion, or basically any activity that requires borrowing.

I guess I'm thinking out loud.

You need a macro-economic primer.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom