Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    To joining the Tea Party?

A law change would require a substantial acquiesence by the GOP members of Congress and loss of control of both houses. If you assume that is going to happen, then you may be correct.

Good to know you'll be supporting the person that would be signing such laws into effect.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Only if the boys on your side of the aisle pass the bill out of committee and get it to the floor for a vote, AND THEN VOTE IT IN.

With all the gun law activity and gun confiscation leanings by the GOP leadership in the past, there is an awful lot of cognitive dissonance on the part of some of you.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Two of these guys were Republicans:

And then there was this:

I'm betting Cruz, Paul, and Jindal, would be 99.999999% reliable on guns.
    The others would be less likely... I'd put Carson, Fiorina, Rubio at 85%.

On the other hand, your boys and girls I'd put at -10%.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The president is the tail wagging the congressional dog. The dog has to make the first move.

No, you're wrong. No law can go into effect until a bill comes out of congress but the president is not some powerless eunuch. He can propose, champion, and bully pulpit legislation.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If the current president is unsuccessful in modifying the gun laws, it would seem reasonable to assume that the next president will not do so.

Remind yourself of that when you're stopping by Walmart to pick up two or three bricks of .22LR for the weekend with the kids.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Certainly. We both took Civics.

But, to blame the democrats for gun law changes is a bit weak. Prior history shows quite a bit of GOP involvement in that process and would be required in any future endeavor. You can't "blame it on the libs".

There is broad, cross-aisle support for requiring background checks outside of family transfers. I don't know if it will happen, but that is the likely bone that the GOP will throw if necessary. Beyond that, I worry more about the composition of SCOTUS in the next 8 years as we see retirements.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm betting Cruz, Paul, and Jindal, would be 99.999999% reliable on guns.
    The others would be less likely... I'd put Carson, Fiorina, Rubio at 85%.

On the other hand, your boys and girls I'd put at -10%.

Carson has change his stance on guns twice since last week, webb was alright on guns, even despite having the dreaded D next to his name. Id take webb over christie, jeb, trump

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Remind yourself of that when you're stopping by Walmart to pick up two or three bricks of .22LR for the weekend with the kids.

What exactly does that prove? That we're easy spooked into irrational frenzies? Individual states are much more likely to move on gun legislation than the feds are.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

But, to blame the democrats for gun law changes is a bit weak. Prior history shows quite a bit of GOP involvement in that process and would be required in any future endeavor. You can't "blame it on the libs".

There is broad, cross-aisle support for requiring background checks outside of family transfers. I don't know if it will happen, but that is the likely bone that the GOP will throw if necessary. Beyond that, I worry more about the composition of SCOTUS in the next 8 years as we see retirements.

A number of issues have become more partisan over the years...2A is one of them. No doubt there are still a few republicans that would support various so called common sense measures--there are progressives in all of the parties. But you could probably fit the staunch pro-2A, shall-not-be-infringed-means-shall-not-be-infringed democrats in congress in a Smart car.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Carson has change his stance on guns twice since last week, webb was alright on guns, even despite having the dreaded D next to his name. Id take webb over christie, jeb, trump
    You can't have Webb.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    What exactly does that prove? That we're easy spooked into irrational frenzies? Individual states are much more likely to move on gun legislation than the feds are.

Aint that the truth. At least on the federal level it's much harder to sneak and pass legislation overnight like the NY SAFE act.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Aint that the truth. At least on the federal level it's much harder to sneak and pass legislation overnight like the NY SAFE act.

Correct. When you choose to live in liberal states, you get liberal laws. That's why I live here, and obviously why I'm arguing with you about this national election.

We are only a few million illegal alien voters away from losing the 2A altogether. ;)

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The president is the tail wagging the congressional dog. The dog has to make the first move.

Oh I forgot congress appoints members of the Supreme Court .............. wait......

You know.. Those guys and gals that "interpret" what the words mean.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Alpo, I'm not picking on you, it's just that you've said a lot that begs for a reply.

And yet you are visiting a democrat thread. Interesting how this side is more courteous to you GOP boys on your thread.

Mediocre intellectual reasoning can result in such logic gaps.

It does not follow that democrats and guns are mutually exclusive.

I think there is a fair number of moderate democrats who own guns. Undoubtedly these make up the majority of the fabled 90% of gun owners who support universal background checks.

If the current president is unsuccessful in modifying the gun laws, it would seem reasonable to assume that the next president will not do so.

Talk about does not follow.

To joining the Tea Party?

A law change would require a substantial acquiesence by the GOP members of Congress and loss of control of both houses. If you assume that is going to happen, then you may be correct.

One doesn't need to join the Tea Party to support a few common interests, such as opposing gun control, over-regulation, over-taxation, large government, positive rights, etc. I"m not a joiner by nature and the Tea Party has become way too evangelically Sara Palin for my likes.

Only if the boys on your side of the aisle pass the bill out of committee and get it to the floor for a vote, AND THEN VOTE IT IN.

With all the gun law activity and gun confiscation leanings by the GOP leadership in the past, there is an awful lot of cognitive dissonance on the part of some of you.

Well, I'm glad you've come out of the closet. You didn't seem all that comfortable with the "I'm a conservative Republican" claim you once made in a thread long past. And that's okay. Be who you are. I'd rather INGO not be an echo chamber. Dissenting viewpoints are valuable.

And as far as the GOP on gun control, I kind of agree. Most of them only say they support the 2A because they know most of their constituents do. There's not that problem on your side of the isle because, unless they're from a fairly red district, Democrats are generally very comfortable being openly anti-gun.

Yeah, we can mostly blame it on the libs, but they're not alone. Many moderates favor gun control too. And even some conservatives. But you'll find a vastly larger group of 2A supporters among conservatives. If a majority were conservative we'd probably not hear much at all about gun control. Ever. Except for the few liberals. And that Limey bastard.

Point taken on SCOTUS. Bernie, Hilary, and the other clowns will appoint Ruth Bader Ginsburg clones to the bench. Maybe Web won't mean to do that, but it'll happen anyway.

Top Bottom