• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I like the civil discussion. So far, it's not Mac vs. PC.

I agree with about everything I am reading, other than it will be a flop. I might second guess that statement.

I have owned an iPhone since the first day they came out. I stopped at the 3G model, because the 3GS didn't have anything I couldn't live without. I put up with the pains of ATT Edge for 3 years before I got 3G in Bloomington. 3G is better than EDGE, but still not really sufficient for HSD. I ran a speedtest on my iPhone this morning on the 3G network, and I got nearly 3 MB down and about 500 up. That is slow broadband these days, but still sufficient to use email and simple browsing.

I don't use an e-reader (yet). Not something I am interested in even in the slightest. However, I use email, texting, video, photo, and surfing regularly. So the iPad loses for me there.

As stated earlier, it also loses in the ability to multitask. That is pathetic. The whole purpose of a Netbook style computer is to be able to take it on the run, and pack it in a small footprint, and I should be able to use multiple applications at the same time. If I am driving down the road, and I need to look something up, I can pull over and do business on a semi-full-functioning computer. I can do it on my iPhone to an extent, but it is difficult, just for the way I have to achieve my goal, and the limitations of the OS. Ever tried to browse this forum on an iPhone? It can be done, but it's not fun.

I said before the release if it was under $1000 I would likely buy it if it did everything I needed it to do. But it doesn't even come close to what I need.

As much as a fan of Apple products that I am, this FAILS.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I like the civil discussion. So far, it's not Mac vs. PC.

I agree with about everything I am reading, other than it will be a flop. I might second guess that statement.

I have owned an iPhone since the first day they came out. I stopped at the 3G model, because the 3GS didn't have anything I couldn't live without. I put up with the pains of ATT Edge for 3 years before I got 3G in Bloomington. 3G is better than EDGE, but still not really sufficient for HSD. I ran a speedtest on my iPhone this morning on the 3G network, and I got nearly 3 MB down and about 500 up. That is slow broadband these days, but still sufficient to use email and simple browsing.

I don't use an e-reader (yet). Not something I am interested in even in the slightest. However, I use email, texting, video, photo, and surfing regularly. So the iPad loses for me there.

As stated earlier, it also loses in the ability to multitask. That is pathetic. The whole purpose of a Netbook style computer is to be able to take it on the run, and pack it in a small footprint, and I should be able to use multiple applications at the same time. If I am driving down the road, and I need to look something up, I can pull over and do business on a semi-full-functioning computer. I can do it on my iPhone to an extent, but it is difficult, just for the way I have to achieve my goal, and the limitations of the OS. Ever tried to browse this forum on an iPhone? It can be done, but it's not fun.

I said before the release if it was under $1000 I would likely buy it if it did everything I needed it to do. But it doesn't even come close to what I need.

As much as a fan of Apple products that I am, this FAILS.

Along those lines- have you see the multitasking palm's new phone does? Insane for a handheld!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc2HJADfx0c
    Palm Pre Plus shows off multitasking upgrade with 50 simultaneous apps (video) -- Engadget

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Impressive I guess, but I don't use Verizon or Sprint, and I'm not a big fan of Palm OS.

I am wanting to get away from the smallness of the PDA. I don't mind carrying a netbook or tablet style machine, and a separate voice/texting phone.

I have sausage fingers and it makes pinching, flipping, and scrolling difficult sometimes.

I guess I will just sit around and wait to see what Google produces with it's Android OS. I really despise Windows anything.

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This is the device my grandmother should be using, instead of manipulating me into spending my time unsnarling her crap on every holiday and vacation trip back to visit the family. It's the device my other relatives could use instead of doing the same thing.

Exactly. I just got my grandfather an iMac because I was tired of him calling me to fix his Dell. Windows kept asking him questions that he didn't know how to answer. Now the only icons on his doc are Firefox and Mail. He's surfing with the best of them now.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ipad.jpg

:dunno:

:laugh:

IBTL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Lafayette
    Once you have flash you can get Movies, Tv shows and other media for free. Not to mention apps and games. If Apple allowed flash they wouldn't have any control over their device any more. Right now if you want content you get it from itunes. If you have a flash browser you can get it any where. Your device would be free and not restricted, in other words it would go against everything Apple stands for. So I honestly don't think you will ever see flash for the iphone/ipad type devices.

In other news Blackberry and Android both will have flash browsers and other flash support features soon. Actually both company's have been working on it for months now. I for one can't wait. :yesway:

Me too. I hate that Apple restricts their products like this! I really want Google to throw out something to compete against Apple. I really think this iPad has clout, but it will take someone jailbreaking it for me to be certain of buying one.
    :+1:

IBTL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Lafayette
    Impressive I guess, but I don't use Verizon or Sprint, and I'm not a big fan of Palm OS.

I am wanting to get away from the smallness of the PDA. I don't mind carrying a netbook or tablet style machine, and a separate voice/texting phone.

I have sausage fingers and it makes pinching, flipping, and scrolling difficult sometimes.

I guess I will just sit around and wait to see what Google produces with it's Android OS. I really despise Windows anything.

I was thinking about this, too. I have massive hands! I want to see how this thing feels. I'm curious about the keyboard interface, as well as the multi touch interface..

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I have an ipod and a macbook pro both which I love. Im a Apple fan as well, to me this ipad doesnt seem very practical to me it seems to be a fancy PDA. I have no reason to buy one is it cool? Sure. Is it flashy? Yes Is it practical? Not for me maybe for others.

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Up to 30 days standby time on the battery life. That's pretty sick in my book.

Don't believe it for a second. It is a given that any claimed battery life of a device is always exaggerated.

All manufactures do it. like my Blackberry, it claims to have 6 hours talk time and 15 days of stand by. Yet that's never happened The talk time is less then half what they claim, so I assume the stand by time is the same. I plug it in pretty much ever 12-16 hours. Just because I use it constantly.

The only way I would ever go 15 days without using my Blackberry is if I were dead. or in prison, So by then stand by time would be the least of my worries.

But I do see how it might be possible to at least test the stand by time on the iPad, I mean I'm sure most owners of the iPad will buy it. Play with it for a week and then routinely go 30 + days without touching it. :D

Last edited:
    Top Bottom