• ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I'll post it for you verbatim:

Assisted GPS is fake GPS, using wifi and 3G towers. just like the old first gen iphone... that's not GPS.

Not according to Wikipedia:

Conventional or "Standalone GPS" operation uses radio signals from satellites. In very poor signal conditions, for example in a city, these signals may suffer multipath where signals bounce confusingly off buildings, or be weakened by passing through walls or tree cover. When first turned on in these conditions, some non-assisted GPS navigation device may not be able to work out a position due to the fragmentary signal, rendering them unable to function until a clear signal can be received continuously for up to 40 seconds (the time needed to download the GPS ephemeris.)
    An A-GPS system can address these problems in several ways, using an assistance server or other data from a network.
    Assistance falls into two categories:

• Using information known to the assistance server but not the phone.
      • It can supply orbital data and/or almanac for the GPS satellites to the cell phone, enabling the cell phone to lock to the satellites more rapidly in some cases.
      • The network can provide atomic time (Accurate Time Assistance)
      • The device capturing a snapshot of the GPS signal, with approximate time, for the server to later process into a position.[2]
      • Accurate, surveyed coordinates for the cell site towers allow better knowledge of local ionospheric conditions and other errors affecting the GPS signal than the cell phone alone, enabling more precise calculation of position. (See also Wide Area Augmentation System and Cellhunter)
    • Calculation of position by the server using information from the phone.
      • The assistance server has a good satellite signal, and plentiful computation power, so it can compare fragmentary signals relayed to it by cell phones, with the satellite signal it receives directly, and then inform the cell phone or emergency services of the cell phone's position.
    As an additional benefit, in some A-GPS device implementations, the amount of CPU and programming required for a GPS phone is reduced by offloading most of the work onto the assistance server. For modern hardware this is not a major consideration but many 20th century GPS navigation devices used Intel 80386-class 16 MHz CPUs or similar hardware.
    A typical A-GPS-enabled cell phone will use a data connection (Internet or other) to contact the assistance server for A-GPS information. If it also has functioning autonomous or standalone GPS, it may use standard GPS, which is sometimes slower on Time To First Fix, but does not depend on the network, and therefore can work beyond network range and need not pay fees for data traffic.[3] Some A-GPS devices do not have the option of falling back to standalone or autonomous GPS.

All this says is that assisted GPS speeds up contact by using terrestrial networks for fixes when possible. The last sentence is the only thing that may bear on A-GPS devices being "not true GPS".

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    Meh, I'm uninterested. I could spend that kind of cash on a laptop that I could actually do more than play video or view websites on.

I'm not a diehard Anti-Mac guy, but they've always been priced higher than what I'm willing to pay for what they can do for me. A comparably priced PC is usually more powerful and versatile...I just have to know a bit more about it to use it effectively.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I will have the 64GB with 3G support, and I will like it.

Why?

Because I drink the Apple Kool-Aid and it is GOOOOOOOOOOD.

They are innovative, fun, sexy, trendy, and pretty much every other term that you all relate to guns around here.

No different than someone wanting a XD or Glock or M&P.

To each their own.

I can afford them, and we will own at least two of them.

I don't care if the 1st Gen has quirks. I will love it for what it does. When 2nd Gen comes out, I will pass the old one along, and buy the newer model.

That's how I roll.

It is not meant to be your ONLY device. I will ditch my iPhone, but a qwerty phone for calling and texting, and give up the data features of the iPhone.

This thing is gonna be the berries.

I just hope Otterbox is working on a case for it!

Today's 1:00pm press conference was better than a nooner with supermodel.

IBTL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Lafayette
    OR - yo uforgot you could spend the same $500 and get a nice netbook with Windows 7 (which is awesome) that blows away the iPad in every aspect... it's super easy to do.

And you maccies are still on the virus kick? I've not had a virus in the last 15 years... solid windows use... :D

but like you said, to each his own :ingo:
    ]

I want to see it!!! I want to see it!!! Show me an awesome touchpad netbook for $500!

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    :D
    ]

I want to see it!!! I want to see it!!! Show me an awesome touchpad netbook for $500!

Yeah- Apple has the touchpad thing down... If that is worth the crippling of the device to a person, then I guess it's worth it. Lack of a touchpad has never stopped me from getting anything done... but having an iPad instead of a real netbook would certainly stop me from being able to do certain things. I know that's probably out of the realm of comprehension for an Apple Cult follower :D

Here's what I really wanted Jobs to show us- the following would had have me sooo hooked:

1) A device that ran the full-blown Mac OS!
    2) A foreward facing camera
    3) USB port(s)
    4) Actual GPS
    5) Flash compatible
    6) Non-proprietary CPU
    7) A screen that went edge-to-edge

Yes, as much as I love to pick on the nutty, illogical "cult" Apple followers, I have the iPhone and I love it. Since it does everything the iPad does and more, and I'm not a person who needs an e-Reader, I could never justify the leap to this device.

Apple really is a great company too. Innovation in the true American style. Their software is second to none as far as usability and just flat out good design. They sell more products on the basis of vanity and status than any other competitor... that's genious marketing in effect. Like the Jedi mind trick... it just doesn't work on me though. :D

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Seems like a toy to me.

As a business owner, is it useful?

Exactly. I think when you get past the bling-factor of it, you'll find that you get more for your money elsewhere in a micro computing device. Even though I do need a portable computer in my job, no way could I justify it

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Here's my deal. Putting aside my hate for Apple. This "iPad" device is not practical. I have a Dell Latitude XT, it's a TRUE tablet. My screen swivels and sets down and covers the keyboard, screen up. I can write on it with my pen or use my finger(s) (yay multi-touch!!!) to move things around/write/etc...) I've got NORMAL usb ports, analog video out. It's laptop that I can write on! Oh and it's only 1" thick! Super thin! I got it used (but looks brand new) for a whopping $600. Killer deal, and I can do so much more than this "iPad."

This iPad is just an oversized iTouch! I see no practical reason to own one for a business. For personal reasons, why not get a netbook or a cheap laptop! Or find yourself a real tablet!

:twocents:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Yep and yep. The thing has limitations, no doubt. But I think it will prove useful enough to some that it won't be a flop. I see it doing good things for me, but recognize that others have different wants & needs.

Top Bottom