• ...and so much more!
  • 38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    360 said:
    Polymer sucks for use in firearms. No way it is durable as steel. It'll never fly!!!

Red herring argument. I could suggest that any product wasn't going to do well and someone could use that argument. It's fallacious ;)

Like I said, I have an iphone. I'm not some Apple hater. I just don't see this thing filling a broad enough need to succeed well. If it does, I'll stand corrected.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I may eat my socks on this one. After reviewing the reviews today, I have learned that it will not allow multi-tasking, nor will it have anything better than the iPhone software. And still no flash. WTH? What good is it if I can't listen to Pandora and surf the web at the same time? Maybe after V3 comes around, it will be worth another look.

I may pass and end up buying another Asus EEE PC and pull the old Hackintosh on it.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I may eat my socks on this one. After reviewing the reviews today, I have learned that it will not allow multi-tasking, nor will it have anything better than the iPhone software. And still no flash. WTH? What good is it if I can't listen to Pandora and surf the web at the same time? Maybe after V3 comes around, it will be worth another look.

I may pass and end up buying another Asus EEE PC and pull the old Hackintosh on it.

What is the hackintosh?

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Jobs is very, very smart.

His goal here is not to make an awesome tablet computer at all... I have read a few articles that suggest he knows exactly what he's doing with the iPad. It's designed to be a money-making, content-consuming machine. Any "extras" were left out on purpose so as to

1) get me to buy a macbook
    2) cause me to use and depend on my iPhone
    3) or get me to buy an overpriced add-on

Also, they would sell a lot less apps if you had flash... because much of that stuff is available for free on the net in flash.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Jobs is very, very smart.

His goal here is not to make an awesome tablet computer at all... I have read a few articles that suggest he knows exactly what he's doing with the iPad. It's designed to be a money-making, content-consuming machine. Any "extras" were left out on purpose so as to

1) get me to buy a macbook
    2) cause me to use and depend on my iPhone
    3) or get me to buy an overpriced add-on

Also, they would sell a lot less apps if you had flash... because much of that stuff is available for free on the net in flash.
    I think it is Apple's goal to make Apps mainstream. They are nice and convenient, but it is beyond me why the mobiles don't support flash. That is just DUMB.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I honestly think you guys are approaching this product from the wrong perspective. I don't think it's intended to be a competitor to the netbook. Based on the business model and form factor, I think it's more of a competitor to the Kindle -- and as a Kindle owner and user, I think it's going to crush the Kindle. I know that as soon as I have one, my Kindle is probably going up on craigslist.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I honestly think you guys are approaching this product from the wrong perspective. I don't think it's intended to be a competitor to the netbook. Based on the business model and form factor, I think it's more of a competitor to the Kindle -- and as a Kindle owner and user, I think it's going to crush the Kindle. I know that as soon as I have one, my Kindle is probably going up on craigslist.

Actually, I completely agree... This is a BMW of the e-readers.

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I honestly think you guys are approaching this product from the wrong perspective. I don't think it's intended to be a competitor to the netbook.

I dunno Jobsy was the one that bad mouthed net books first thing, Even though all net books can do a lot more then the ipad will ever be able to do. Honestly compare them and a net book is so much better for the money. I mean lets say you buy the highest memory model iPad, You will eventually want the dock and the keyboard and don't forget the camera attachement. After you've bought all that stuff your $1300-$1500 ipod touch still wont be able to do many of the things a $200-$500 net book will do. If you are a Mac Person you can buy a Mac book pro for $1400. Which would you be better off with?

See Apple is smart and they understand the masses. They know the masses will not educate themselves. The masses see those price points and they think it's pretty reasonable. But Apple will make all the money back on very overpriced accessories that other company's would have included.

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Also to touch on the idea of if being a ereader. The main features that makes a ereader an ereader is eink and a very large battery life. Two things the iPad don't have. Besides Steve himself said "People do not read anymore" he later said "People don't read for long periods of time in one setting" and that "People will always be near a plug in while they are reading" :dunno:

How's that little fellow know all this stuff about people? I don't think he is right with those statements, ereader owners read books a week every week. That makes eye strain and battery life a real issue. I think this is more of Apple making the product THEY want to make and then telling everyone to be happy using it the way they ALLOW them to use it.

In my opinion the ipad can kinda surf the web and it can kinda be a ereader. But it can't do either of those as well as it should be able to. The only real thing it does is let you buy crap off itunes that can easily be found for free else where. In the end I think that's what it's all about. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My dad loves his Kindle. It's going to around for (a little) awhile.

But I have been wanting an iTouch for awhile now. Just for home use. So maybe this big iPad will be more of what I will like. Too big to carry around - but good for the home network.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I dunno Jobsy was the one that bad mouthed net books first thing, Even though all net books can do a lot more then the ipad will ever be able to do. Honestly compare them and a net book is so much better for the money. I mean lets say you buy the highest memory model iPad, You will eventually want the dock and the keyboard and don't forget the camera attachement. After you've bought all that stuff your $1300-$1500 ipod touch still wont be able to do many of the things a $200-$500 net book will do. If you are a Mac Person you can buy a Mac book pro for $1400. Which would you be better off with?

That's the thing, it's not a netbook, and I really don't think it's intended to be. Jobs badmouthed netbooks because netbooks are nothing more than really cheap laptops. And it's not like I don't know, because I own a netbook running Windows 7, with a camera, and it's not that wonderful. Even without the iPad, I took my account off it and gave it to my wife to use as a sittin-on-the-couch-watchin-TV-and-browsing computer.

The iPad is best thought of as an appliance rather than a computer. This guy has it right:

For years we've all held to the belief that computing had to be made simpler for the 'average person'. I find it difficult to come to any conclusion other than that we have totally failed in this effort.

Secretly, I suspect, we technologists quite liked the idea that Normals would be dependent on us for our technological shamanism. Those incantations that only we can perform to heal their computers, those oracular proclamations that we make over the future and the blessings we bestow on purchasing choices.

Ask yourself this: in what other walk of life do grown adults depend on other people to help them buy something? Women often turn to men to help them purchase a car but that's because of the obnoxious misogyny of car dealers, not because ladies worry that the car they buy won't work on their local roads. (Sorry computer/car analogy. My bad.)

I'm often saddened by the infantilising effect of high technology on adults. From being in control of their world, they're thrust back to a childish, mediaeval world in which gremlins appear to torment them and disappear at will and against which magic, spells, and the local witch doctor are their only refuges.

With the iPhone OS as incarnated in the iPad, Apple proposes to do something about this, and I mean really do something about it instead of just talking about doing something about it, and the world is going mental.
    As computers go, this is not the device for those of us who are comfortable farting around with Windows and all of its eccentricities, or even those of us who are fine with doing the same on Mac OSX (I'm both).

This is the device my grandmother should be using, instead of manipulating me into spending my time unsnarling her crap on every holiday and vacation trip back to visit the family. It's the device my other relatives could use instead of doing the same thing.

And as I said, it's more of an appliance than a computer -- by which I mean, it is a device with a limited set of purposes, rather than a general "everything but the kitchen sink" computer. I actually agree that there's a method to Apple's madness, but I disagree as to what it is.

Apple's genius in everything they've done so far is not the features they've copied from the Windows world, it's what they've taken away. It takes considerable effort and talent to add features to a program or operating system, but it takes far more to intelligently prune things.

I happen to agree that Flash is probably something they shouldn't have pruned, but a lot of what they take away is stuff that we're only convinced we need because everyone else has it. I went bonkers over the built-in camera on my iMac, and insisted I have one on the Toshiba netbook. Know how much I use them? About once a year. It's only after you live without for a while that you really understand your needs, and Apple's approach to computing has always been to try and understand that better than the Windows world does.

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN

But I have been wanting an iTouch for awhile now. Just for home use. So maybe this big iPad will be more of what I will like. Too big to carry around - but good for the home network.

Where I really think this could have some potential at is video games. But again it's to big to carry around and it's all touch screen which sucks for games.

But what if they made an analog controller for it. Or if they made the games compatible with the keyboard. If they fixed the control issue and developers continue to make high quality games for it I think this thing could be awesome. I wish they would focus a little more on it being a gaming system.

Last edited:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma

I love my Kindle too. I just think it's going to be destroyed by the iPad.

As for the iPod Touch... I had one until I got my iPhone, which is the same size, and have used both now for about 2.5 years. Without having ever tried the iPad, I'll tell you that if you don't need the "stick it in my pocket" portability, you definitely want the iPad. The screens on the iPod Touch and the iPhone are frickin' tiny, and they are not a joy to browse with.

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I think it is Apple's goal to make Apps mainstream. They are nice and convenient, but it is beyond me why the mobiles don't support flash. That is just DUMB.

Once you have flash you can get Movies, Tv shows and other media for free. Not to mention apps and games. If Apple allowed flash they wouldn't have any control over their device any more. Right now if you want content you get it from itunes. If you have a flash browser you can get it any where. Your device would be free and not restricted, in other words it would go against everything Apple stands for. So I honestly don't think you will ever see flash for the iphone/ipad type devices.

In other news Blackberry and Android both will have flash browsers and other flash support features soon. Actually both company's have been working on it for months now. I for one can't wait. :yesway:

Top Bottom