http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/the-apple-ipad/

2dl680w.jpg

Last edited:

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Besides a really expensive eBook reader. I'm not seeing why you'd choose this over an iPhone. Wonder if this will flop like the Apple TV :p I won't be buying it.

My name is Griffeycom and I'm a PC. :)

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Yeah I'd say that even the die hard Apple fans will have a hard time justifying buying this thing.

It is pointless. No multi - tasking even though it has the processor speed to do it. Apple wont let it so you have a reason to buy a new one next year lol. No Flash on the web browser is horrible. No camera, No GPS, You wont even be able to send SMS messages with it. Even though you will have a data plan on it.

It's like buying a suckier version of the iPhone with features removed, but it has been enlarged. I seriously see no reason why anyone would want this. It does less then most current smart phones do, You can't make calls with it so you will have to carry it and then on top of that you have to have your phone for calls. Now if your phone happens to be a smart phone then your phone already has everything the iPad does covered and more.

Honestly this thing would never leave anyone's house. There is no reason for it too. I will be shocked if this isn't a utter flop.

IBTL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Lafayette
    You guys are wrong. It uses GPS (check the apple website). If you are a college student and don't want to shell the dough for an iPhone or a macbook, you have another option. You can do much more with it than the ipod touch. You also get the option of using the data network or not. I only wish it ran OS X. Guess I have to wait for someone to jailbreak it.

My point:

Sometimes a handgun is best.
    Sometimes a shotgun is best.
    Sometimes a rifle is best.

You can use just one or you can use the right tool for the job.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    You guys are wrong. It uses GPS (check the apple website). If you are a college student and don't want to shell the dough for an iPhone or a macbook, you have another option. You can do much more with it than the ipod touch. You also get the option of using the data network or not. I only wish it ran OS X. Guess I have to wait for someone to jailbreak it.

My point:

I did check the apple website, it doesn't use GPS. Read carefully what they say there...

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I'll post it for you verbatim:
    Wi-Fi
    Digital compass
    Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
    Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

Assisted GPS is fake GPS, using wifi and 3G towers. just like the old first gen iphone... that's not GPS.

alxjmrk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Indy, Nora area

My point:

+iRep

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    This isn't the right tool for any job though. A college student would still be better served with even one of the $300 netbooks. But they wouldn't be as trendy.

It's way to big to be a smart phone, yet it has none of features of a real lap top. It doesn't even have the features of my smart phone. If you desperately want a tablet you would be much better off with any of the other ones currently available. You can get tablets with windows 7, A real computer operating system. The iPad is just the OS from the iPhone with very few tweaks.

It's a holder for the crap you've bought off itunes and nothing else. Would anyone honestly carry this thing and say their iPhone? I don't see that happening. It does less then the iPhone so why have it on you?

So if it will be left in your house then why not have a normal sized computer? You get me? It don't do enough to be brought with you and it doesn't do enough to be used as a normal computer so what exactly is it meant for?

Last edited:

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I'll tell you what I do like about the iPad, and it's all the fluffy stuff that everyone likes: those beautiful apps, user inteface, and the appearance of the hardware.

For the exact same cost, you can get a netbook that isn't crippled like this thing is. Come to think of it, this really makes me want a netbook.

Something with USB, multitasking, flash, a keyboard, a full-blown OS, voip and video conferencing... more HD space, more processor speed, more OS options, I could go on :):

Last edited:

IBTL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Lafayette
    netbooks suck plain and simple. they have a tiny screen and poor battery life. why do ppl spend 300 bucks on an e-reader? won't a netbook do? nope. there is a niche out there. apple sees it and so do I. studies now show ppl view their technology(phones/ipod/computers) as a status symbol that's higher than their car or (forbid it) guns.

also, i have owned an iPhone for a couple years now and I love it. but I hate browsing the web, because the browser is so tiny! no w, i can read the web without zooming in and out. I will probably sell my iPhone and get this (anyone interested;)?).

i see ppl react to technology like this, "ahh! it's horrible!" then, ppl give it a second thought. then, some try it. then, they tell their friends and they like it. repeat the cycle a few times and suddenly, it's a sensation! great thing is that time will dicate how great a product is.

spend $300 on a crappy PC netbook(bleghh! viruses, Windows, and limited battery, oh my!) or an e-reader (black and white snooze machine) OR

spend $500 for a full-screen, blazing fast, HD movie-player, mp3 player, game-player, word processor, web surfer that doesn't get viruses and runs for 10 hours.

to each his own!!! :thatshot:

IBTL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Lafayette
    oh, and it DOES have GPS, lol. reeeeeaaaaadddd it. and it works great with the iphone. i don't understand how ppl complain about this! get a garmin phone if you want a dedicated gps platform. the iPhone works great at triangulating your position with whatever combination of radio frequencies, llke cellular, wi-fi, and yes, gps.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    oh, and it DOES have GPS, lol. reeeeeaaaaadddd it. and it works great with the iphone. i don't understand how ppl complain about this! get a garmin phone if you want a dedicated gps platform. the iPhone works great at triangulating your position with whatever combination of radio frequencies, llke cellular, wi-fi, and yes, gps.

Only a diehard mac fanboy would confuse tower trangulation to a GPS :D

But then again, details don't matter- we just want pretty status symbol :):

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    netbooks suck plain and simple. they have a tiny screen and poor battery life. why do ppl spend 300 bucks on an e-reader? won't a netbook do? nope. there is a niche out there. apple sees it and so do I. studies now show ppl view their technology(phones/ipod/computers) as a status symbol that's higher than their car or (forbid it) guns.

also, i have owned an iPhone for a couple years now and I love it. but I hate browsing the web, because the browser is so tiny! no w, i can read the web without zooming in and out. I will probably sell my iPhone and get this (anyone interested;)?).

i see ppl react to technology like this, "ahh! it's horrible!" then, ppl give it a second thought. then, some try it. then, they tell their friends and they like it. repeat the cycle a few times and suddenly, it's a sensation! great thing is that time will dicate how great a product is.

spend $300 on a crappy PC netbook(bleghh! viruses, Windows, and limited battery, oh my!) or an e-reader (black and white snooze machine) OR

spend $500 for a full-screen, blazing fast, HD movie-player, mp3 player, game-player, word processor, web surfer that doesn't get viruses and runs for 10 hours.

to each his own!!! :thatshot:

OR - yo uforgot you could spend the same $500 and get a nice netbook with Windows 7 (which is awesome) that blows away the iPad in every aspect... it's super easy to do.

And you maccies are still on the virus kick? I've not had a virus in the last 15 years... solid windows use... :D

but like you said, to each his own :ingo:

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Apple people will buy anything with a "i" infront of it. I don't get it, but to each there own. I'm sure it will sell very well.

The virus argument crap is awesome. Every time I hear it I smile. Apple has made a multi billion dollar empire based on the fact that don't think their target market is smart enough to use a PC without it exploding in their faces lol.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom