The 2017 General Political discussion thread, Part 2!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Sorry but building a wall around the entire country and ignoring all around us will neither completely solve our immigration issues nor fix our trade issues. It's also not going to enhance our economic situation to completely withdraw within our own boarders. In fact isolationism is only going to make us weaker. I really hope we don't get passed by on all of this, I really do. But time will tell, it most certainly will. Ten or fifteen years from now when we look back at choices we made now I really hope we're not regretting those same stupid choices to ignore everyone else because we thought we were to good for everyone else but ourselves. I wonder how helpful they will be then or how weak we are because we cut our own nose off to spite ourselves.

There you go again with that binary choice. Your primary concern is that we might get left out of something. Do you really believe that it is better to take a f**king than to decline to participate?

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    There you go again with that binary choice. Your primary concern is that we might get left out of something. Do you really believe that it is better to take a f**king than to decline to participate?

Well sometimes there are worse circumstances than the ones you currently find yourself in. Maybe I'm wrong and we're not being left out. Unfortunately it appears that's the direction this is headed in. So if that's the case I guess your getting what your looking for. So if that's the case I guess all we have to do is wait and see what our economy and the position in the world we find ourselves in. We'll see, just remember what you asked for and be prepared for any and all results of those choices.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    We are moving more and more to a service economy. Multi-nationals are no longer "American" companies. Bankers never have been.

This seems to be a classic "hard goods" economic discussion at a time where hard goods demand is changing with younger generations.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    We are moving more and more to a service economy. Multi-nationals are no longer "American" companies. Bankers never have been.

This seems to be a classic "hard goods" economic discussion at a time where hard goods demand is changing with younger generations.

Thank you very much for pointing out the core problem. You maintain an economy by adding or creating value. Service does not do either one.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Drees,

In your knee-jerk haste to #Resist Trump, did you (or Kut) even read the link you posted on page 57? It's a bilateral agreement (the sort which Trump claims he favors), a deal which no less a globalist than Obama himself attempted to negotiate with Europe, but failed.

In the wake of that failure - and especially Brexit - the EU needed a "win," badly. The Japanese are assisting them in "saving face" by giving them one. Shin Abe having also failed similarly (and needing a "win" of his own). Politicians like these need us to keep drinking the Kool Aid (ie., reading the NY Times).

So much fail...where to start:

1. The big concession being publicized on the Japanese side is reducing tariffs on European food items, the chief example given being cheese.

Uh, hello: Japanese are mostly LACTOSE INTOLERANT...

2. EU will drop the 10% tariffs on imported Japanese autos. It would actually benefit Europe MORE (like America) if the Japanese autos were built IN EUROPE...but the Nihongians have apparently figured out they would rather employ their own (!) people and (hello) not deal with European labor regulations.

So the conclusion would be: this is a really inconsequential agreement, tossed up on the eve of G20 to give the Globalists the appearance of a "win," after getting their azzes handed to them this year. But to the extent you are inclined to look into it more deeply and find something, that "something" appears to be more of the usual sort of Asian mercantilism: more reaming of the European worker at the hands of cagey Asian businessmen, and enabled by the desire of European bureaucrats to show some kind of "work product" to justify their salaries.

Twang (works for Japanese automaker here...where 70+% of Japanese cars sold here are built here, including 1 in 5 of all vehicles exported from the US...thanks to judicious application of good old American Protectionism*)

(...just including that since you (both) predicted economic doom from America not being "included" in deals like this).

*and exchange rates

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    2017-07-03-pbs-nh-poll_graphic.jpg

Ah. So the media can at least say they're not least trusted.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I remember all the big media gasbags and their predictions about Ronnie and Gorby, things didn't work out the way they predicted.

Same gasbags predicted Trump would never win, missed on that one too.

I'll wait and see what actually happens.

You mean you don't trust the all-knowing talking heads on the news?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You mean you don't trust the all-knowing talking heads on the news?

I'll never forget John Chancellor on the news solemnly telling the American public that because of sadam's "triangle" defensive trenches the gulf war would produce horrendous American casualties on the order of WW1. Big media stars read their lines, just like actors.

I also never forget president carter telling us all the world would be out of oil in 2011.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You are arguing against yourself. If we shut out imports (which is not necessarily the goal as equal terms would be a vast improvement) there will be no one leaving to make cheap goods overseas. It is possible to maintain a decent standard of living without this nonsense, and besides, in case you hadn't noticed, our standard of living is decreasing already. The difference is that you don't see it so much right now given the number of people maintaining the standard of living on credit for which their parents paid cash. It becomes a game of quenching thirst by cutting your own throat to drink your own blood. If you honestly believe that importing cheap foreign goods at a net loss is good for us, there really isn't anything I can do to help you.

#Mindblown

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Huh. Maybe Trump should draw a red line not to cross that he has no intention of enforcing. Dems seemed to be quite happy with that policy.

Lol! Here's another...

Or maybe a big, red button to indicate a radical change, or "reset", in direction... but this time get the Russian translation for "reset" correct... that was the problem. :rolleyes:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom