• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    In 1994 I had four handguns stolen from my home. Once a year I receive a phone call from the Evv Police Dept. asking me if any had been recovered or should they remain in the system.

+1 for the EPD's attention and maintenance of the list.

-1 for the annual reminder that I used to own a Colt stainless Government .380, a Colt Officers Enhanced .45, a Colt Double Eagle officers model and a S&W 625 5" revolver that probably got tossed in the river or sold for $50.

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    In 1994 I had four handguns stolen from my home. Once a year I receive a phone call from the Evv Police Dept. asking me if any had been recovered or should they remain in the system.

+1 for the EPD's attention and maintenance of the list.

-1 for the annula reminde r that I used to own a Colt stainless Government .380, a Colt Officers Enhanced .45, a Colt Double Eagle officers model and a S&W 625 5" revolver that probably got tossed in the river or sold for $50.

Maybe it is just the smartass in me, I think my reply would be have you guys caught the person(s) whole stole them yet....

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    I'm with Jermy. Thought it was their job to "recover" the stolen items. I'm sure it isn't at the top of their list. I guess if they do find it that means all the other crimes are solved.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Atleast you get a phone call. I haven't heard anything about the 2 stolen out of my apartment. (One I highly doubt I will as I could not get one number of the serial number off the picture I had... lesson learned)

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I'm with Jermy. Thought it was their job to "recover" the stolen items. I'm sure it isn't at the top of their list. I guess if they do find it that means all the other crimes are solved.

I suspect the annual check is to see if maybe a gun wasn't stolen but possibly misplaced. :dunno:

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I bet they continue to call because it's also 4 guns that were stolen instead of a single firearm.

TMD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Owen County, IN
    In 1994 I had four handguns stolen from my home. Once a year I receive a phone call from the Evv Police Dept. asking me if any had been recovered or should they remain in the system...

I feel for you, bud. I get that same phone call every year from the Owen County Sheriff concering my Bersa Thunder, Mossberg 500 and WASR-10. I know who broke into my house, as does the Sheriff, but knowing and legally proving are unfortunately two different things in this case. Damn felon brother-in-law.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Not being snarky, honestly curious here: Do those of you who have had firearms stolen have homeowners insurance that cover them?

We not only have renter's insurance that covers theft, but I took out a rider specifically for firearms coverage.

TMD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Owen County, IN
    Not being snarky, honestly curious here: Do those of you who have had firearms stolen have homeowners insurance that cover them?

We not only have renter's insurance that covers theft, but I took out a rider specifically for firearms coverage.

In my case my homeowners insurance covered everything from reimbursing my replacing the damaged doorjamb to the original purchase value of the guns stolen.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just an idea. In an organizer I write down all the makes, models, and serial numbers. So if any of you scuba guys find them at the bottom of Reiden Lake, maybe I can recover them.

I e-mail them to myself. That way if there is a fire or something, I can access them from anywhere. I used to keep an index card in a bank lock-box, but no longer bother to keep a lock-box.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I just took out an additional policy too. My homeowners would have only covered up to 5,000 I think. It's pretty reasonable too (gun policy). :yesway:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

Unfortunately, at the time I had just moved into a duplex I owned and was changingmy insurance from a typical homeowners to seperate RE and renters ins. hadn't quite gotten to it and thus the loss was not covered. I did make a claim to the NRA which paid $1,000 for theft loss very quickly

How does anybody expect the EPD to find some stolen guns? Should they go door to door with search warrants or just kick them open with their jack boots?

No, but if they run a serial number from a gun at a traffic stop or something, maybe it will pop up.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Had a house fire in '97... insurance payed 80,000+ for house repairs ...25,000 for contents
    But only 2,000 for guns/ refinishing.... have since bought more from NRA affiliate.
    (Don't need serial #) They did replace my reloading gear.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No, but if they run a serial number from a gun at a traffic stop or something, maybe it will pop up.

I'm not in the habit of taking people's firearms during routine traffic stops. Are you suggesting that I start doing this to run #s looking for stoilen guns?

Top Bottom