• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I'm not in the habit of taking people's firearms during routine traffic stops. Are you suggesting that I start doing this to run #s looking for stoilen guns?
    Kutnupe14 is certainly right. Most of us would be miffed if any traffic stop (only one I have had in the last 15 years was for a malfunctioning tail light) resulted in the officer taking our gun and running the serial number while we wait. All of my son and my firearms have been recorded on my computer, with 2 photo's of each gun taken with a paper beside the gun with the SN clearly visible. I then burned DVD's - one retained at my sons' home and one at my home. I have never lost a firearm and sure hope I don't. This thread has made me think about calling my Insurance agent and increasing my coverage for the guns.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I'm not in the habit of taking people's firearms during routine traffic stops. Are you suggesting that I start doing this to run #s looking for stoilen guns?

Obviously I am not talking about when someone is pulled over for a minor infraction, speeding, whatever.

But do you not do this if say you have someone pulled over and there is a couple bags of meth, a wad of cash and several firearms and the driver is a convicted felon?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    In 1994 I had four handguns stolen from my home. Once a year I receive a phone call from the Evv Police Dept. asking me if any had been recovered or should they remain in the system.

+1 for the EPD's attention and maintenance of the list.

-1 for the annual reminder that I used to own a Colt stainless Government .380, a Colt Officers Enhanced .45, a Colt Double Eagle officers model and a S&W 625 5" revolver that probably got tossed in the river or sold for $50.

Once a year the reporting agency has to audit all entered stolen property in order for it to remain in NCIC/IDACS. If it is not done the items will be removed. My wife has the pleasant task of doing this each year at her job.

osbornk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Marion, Va
    Had a house fire in '97... insurance payed 80,000+ for house repairs ...25,000 for contents
    But only 2,000 for guns/ refinishing.... have since bought more from NRA affiliate.
    (Don't need serial #) They did replace my reloading gear.

I think the adjuster may have misread the policy regarding the limit on guns. I handled claims for 32+ years and the average adjuster applies the gun limit on all claims. A careful reading of the typical policy has a limit on guns ONLY for theft. They are normally fully covered for fire and other types of losses. I did the same thing for years bu learned better when I started handling only large losses and arsons.

On handling arson claims, the first thing I looked for in the debris was for burned guns. If the owner was claiming that he had guns destroyed in the fire and there was no evidence of guns, it generally meant he was involved in the arson or it was at least not an accidental fire. Even crooks remove their firearms before they set their house on fire.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I would be interested to know how many ht guns that practice does find... :popcorn:

I recovered a stolen gun on a traffic stop in March of this year. The driver had a LTCH and informed me the gun was in the center console but I didn't remove it and run the serial # until after I arrested him for possession of cocaine. Like Kutnupe I am not in the habit of disarming people when I encounter them so my chances of finding a stolen gun are fairly rare.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I recovered a stolen gun on a traffic stop in March of this year. The driver had a LTCH and informed me the gun was in the center console but I didn't remove it and run the serial # until after I arrested him for possession of cocaine. Like Kutnupe I am not in the habit of disarming people when I encounter them so my chances of finding a stolen gun are fairly rare.

It was not a Springfield 1911 Range officer in a dark finish with little to no wear on it. I lost one when my service truck was broken into last Sept. They were after my Tom-Tom on the dash and the gun was an extra. I really, really, really hate a thief.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    It was not a Springfield 1911 Range officer in a dark finish with little to no wear on it. I lost one when my service truck was broken into last Sept. They were after my Tom-Tom on the dash and the gun was an extra. I really, really, really hate a thief.

No it was a Taurus semi-auto if I remember correctly. Stolen from a lady in Lawrence 5 years ago by her crackhead son. She was pretty happy when I called her and told her I had recovered it.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Once a year the reporting agency has to audit all entered stolen property in order for it to remain in NCIC/IDACS. If it is not done the items will be removed.

Really? I've never gotten a yearly call from my local police. Every once in a while they call me to tell me they've recovered one of my guns in Ohio or Mississippi or somewhere and to come down and pick it up.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Really? I've never gotten a yearly call from my local police. Every once in a while they call me to tell me they've recovered one of my guns in Ohio or Mississippi or somewhere and to come down and pick it up.

Because most places do it automaticly. The reporting agency gets notified when something they entered is recovered. It is called validation.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom