That didn't last long. ABC Cancels Roseanne after tweet about Obama aid.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    It's not easier for them to stop being idiots, so probably easier to adjust one's own sensitivity to words.

That said. It was said on twitter. Easy enough to let her know it's out of bounds. As for the cancellation, ABC has a reputation to protect. No one wants to be associated with an idiot.

didnt say it would be easy for them to stop being idiot. Said it was easier to ride herd on them.

Ive got a kid who looks nothing like me or her mom. It’s important to me to demonstrate to her that sitting quietly and “knowing her place” isn’t an acceptable future.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    didnt say it would be easy for them to stop being idiot. Said it was easier to ride herd on them.

Ive got a kid who looks nothing like me or her mom. It’s important to me to demonstrate to her that sitting quietly and “knowing her place” isn’t an acceptable future.

I dunno. I wouldn't say "know her place" is the same thing as adjusting one's own sensitivity to words. I'd say it's good for someone not to have the passive attitude to "know her place". Certainly stick up for yourself. But also that's not saying to encourage people to put other people in their place. I think we have way too much of that going on now, especially on twitter. It's actually easier to adjust one's own sensitivity to words.

You try to control other people and it turns out they kinda don't like that any more than you do. You can't control people. You can control yourself. Fix what's within your own power to fix. And with few exceptions that pretty much constrains what you can fix to you.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I guess I’m missing the distinction between “knowing one’s place” and “adjusting one’s own sensitivity”.

I think everyone should know their place, and their place is what they want to make it. The important thing is to teach your kids that THEY get to choose their place.

I'm not sure if I taught my daughter that, or if she taught me that, now that I think about it.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    It's not easier for them to stop being idiots, so probably easier to adjust one's own sensitivity to words.

That said. It was said on twitter. Easy enough to let her know it's out of bounds. As for the cancellation, ABC has a reputation to protect. No one wants to be associated with an idiot.

I guess I'm not seeing the distinction between "ride herd" and "putting people in their place".

I didn’t make a distinction.
    But I think one exists.
    And we’re talking about racist idiots, right?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think everyone should know their place, and their place is what they want to make it. The important thing is to teach your kids that THEY get to choose their place.

I think he was getting at people thinking they shouldn't say something because it's not their place. But that wasn't what I was getting at. I was getting at not perpetuating the really bad discourse we have going on with each other. We don't have to try to put everyone in their place who says stupid **** on the internet. That's what we've been doing and it just causes more stupid **** to be said. Turns out, my parents were right.

Of course, with Roseanne, it's more the issue that ABC understandably had to protect their reputation. Would have been nice if they could have figure a way where they could distance themselves from Roseanne, while not having to ****can everyone else involved with the show.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I looked over all the "offensive" tweets that I could find on this stupidity.
    On the surface, I found nothing racist AT ALL. If you want to compare people to monkeys, fine. My kid is a monkey at times. My kid looks like a monkey at times. My kid acts like a monkey [STRIKE]at times[/STRIKE] all the time. If that person that's being compared is black and the intent was racist, oh ya, that's not good and should be dealt with accordingly. Is that what happened? IDK?

Not knowing any background about this lady person, and just by looking a her, why would anyone even think she is black in color at all? They wouldn't. That's why this was so totally confusing to me. I still don't get the connection with those muslin brotherhood dirtbags?? Yes they are, look them up.

I don't know Barr's intent was with said tweet nor do I care. She does not matter. What she says does not matter.

I do think that too many angry people out there are Loaded, Cocked and Ready to be OFFENDED.... just waiting to Shoot at a moments notice at anything around them. That to me is an atrocity that needs to stop if we, as a society, are going to survive.

Those here who think my post is offensive, bag up, I'm not being racist, I'm not being a bully, I have no intentions to be offensive. I just refuse to be a snowflake.
    This PC **** has got to stop.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    On the surface, I found nothing racist AT ALL. If you want to compare people to monkeys, fine. My kid is a monkey at times. My kid looks like a monkey at times. My kid acts like a monkey [STRIKE]at times[/STRIKE] all the time. If that person that's being compared is black and the intent was racist, oh ya, that's not good and should be dealt with accordingly. Is that what happened? IDK?

Not knowing any background about this lady person, and just by looking a her, why would anyone even think she is black in color at all? They wouldn't. That's why this was so totally confusing to me. I still don't get the connection with those muslin brotherhood dirtbags?? Yes they are, look them up.

I don't know Barr's intent was with said tweet nor do I care. She does not matter. What she says does not matter.

I do think that too many angry people out there are Loaded, Cocked and Ready to be OFFENDED.... just waiting to Shoot at a moments notice at anything around them. That to me is an atrocity that needs to stop if we, as a society, are going to survive.

Those here who think my post is offensive, bag up, I'm not being racist, I'm not being a bully, I have no intentions to be offensive. I just refuse to be a snowflake.
    :+1:

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    No Jamil. Close, but I’m not quite describing my thoughts as well as I’d like.

Having grown up in the south in the time that I did, “knowing one’s place” means knowing what parts of town you aren’t welcome in. Or what stores really don’t care for your business if you’re a person of color, or not talking back or speaking up when confronted with overt institutional racism.
    It appears to have improved over the years, but it’s still there. I think that improvement has come from people seeing BS and calling it out.
    I don’t think improvements are the result of people NOT saying something in the face of overt racism.

Just my position. Not asking you to agree, but I hope I’ve stated it more clearly.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Never said anything "racist". Xenophobic and insensitive, maybe. Her lineage leans communist, ideologically. She was born in Iran. She is short. Where did I bring up anything else?

Did not know who her parents were, genetically speaking, until this thread, honestly. Assumed she was full-on Persian, hence the reference to Zoroastrianism. That way, I wouldn't offend other People of the Book.

Happy to be ripped or labeled for what I am, but repeating "racist" over and over when I backed up what I said, which was not racially-oriented, is just plain silly.

One of the things that's off is making a big deal out of VJ being born in Iran. She was born in 1961 so would have grown up under the Shah's regime. You do know that there are plenty of good capitalist Iranian expats who fled the revolution and are living happily in the US, no?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    There’s an actor on Sons of Anarchy I kept telling my wife looked just like a monkey. I wasn’t being mean, just observational. And certainly not racist.
    also, I honestly don’t know why it’a Considered racist to say that. Is this some holdover from 100 years ago again?

If only there were some way, available to everybody participating in an online forum, to look stuff like that up

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I can only believe that your experience with Black people is somewhat limited. I have people in my family that have her skin tone, and very similar features. The "black" diaspora is very diverse. When I was a kid, I used to tease my mother, grandmother, and sister because they weren't dark enough. I used to call them "orange" or "peach." For some reason, the women in my family are very fair. It is apparent that you may have passed by a bunch of black people without ever even knowing.

Edit: Actually, I'm going to revisit this. If Roseanne had called Jarret a "coon" would you feel exactly the same way, as you do with her saying "monkey?" That it is no offensive?

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just checking in... has anyone fallen to the Kut bait yet?

. . . Fine, dropping in this thread to comment.

While I do believe Kut has the tendency to stoke discussions that pertain to race...

This particular topic... has nothing to do with him. Kut hasn't baited anything here. Quite the contrary... there are people completely ignoring a blatant racist tweet, trying to excuse it with ignorance and "color-blind" sorts of comments.

Maybe you haven't caught up with the thread. That'd make sense, given how ... inaccurate... your post is with relation to the current conversation going on.

Top Bottom