• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The best thing that ever happened to me Gander Mountain (Terre Haute, incidentally) was meeting the other customer to directed me toward INGO!

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I was never old enough to purchase guns when Poff's was around, but how was the shopping there? Prices, service, etc. My only experience with them was knowing the owners (my mom is friends with Bill's wife). I helped them move from the second to last store to the last store.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I bought my first pistol at Poffs North store on my 21st b-day. They were very nice, and in the years following, I never had a problem with them. I bought a couple things and was with friends when they made purchases, and it was all good.

Now, making the drive over to see Bob at PSS was a better deal, but I didn't always feel like cruising to Plainfield from Rockville.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I was never old enough to purchase guns when Poff's was around, but how was the shopping there? Prices, service, etc. My only experience with them was knowing the owners (my mom is friends with Bill's wife). I helped them move from the second to last store to the last store.

Prices were extortionary, selection was decent, and they weren't going to go out of their way do do anything that was not an immediate pay item--enough so to 'cure' me of shopping there. There is a good reason why they are no longer in business.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    If Gander Mountain, Dick's, and a whole slew of other "Outdoor" orientated chain businesses could keep their profit margins without engaging in firearms and firearms related items, they would.

miborovsky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2011
    The Dick's's (pl.) that I've been to (Indy area) have all had much better customer service than Gander Mtn. So, it's not necessarily a big store vs small shop thing.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN

They had a cornered market at that time...

cesna250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Warsaw
    Last evening, my Lady and I went to Gndr Mtn to check out camping items and to look for another badminton set(if it has been a while since you have played, I strongly suggest it. You have like a day and a half to get to a hit birdie and return. I brought a set to the last family gathering and it was a hit...)

While we were in there, I had to go back and check out the firearms. A gal was pacing in front of the display. After 5 min, the salesperson waited on her. She inquired about the process of purchasing a revolver and if she needed a "permit" to purchase. She prefaced these questions by stating that she does not have a clue about the process.

In a loud, booming voice he said " depends, are you asking if you need a "permit" to buy a gun or a "permit" to carry or a personal protection "permit"? And before she answers, he states that you do not need a "permit" to buy and to carry she would have to go to her local municipality.

She asked if it was possible to put a revolver in layaway. He told her, still booming, that 20 percent puts a firearm on layaway. She stands there for an ackward moment and thanked him and walked away.

I approached her when she was 20' away from the counter heading for the door. I told her that, while at some point she will have to contact local, to get online and go to ingov and start the application process there. That she will be able to schedule the fingerprinting through L1. That once the LLE gives the nod, should take 2wks +/- if all is as it should be. She told me that she moved here(TH) from a small town and felt unsafe in the bigger city. That she is a single mother and works nights. I reitterated ingov and told her that if she does decide to get a firearm, to get some training as well. I also told her before she buys that pink Taurus revolver there, to check out Topguns.

About half way through the conversation, my Lady had walked up and confirmed some of the details of her experience in getting her LTCH. The gal thanked us and went on her way.

I thought the salesperson was nowhere close to being as helpful as he could have been and as a human being and a gunowner, I felt ashamed. It was not a case of being terribly busy so he blew her off(which would have been a poor excuse); we were the only 2 at the display and there were 2 salespeople. I did not return to the counter, but then I knew better before I walked back there...
    Which GM was this???

Irishman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Bloomfield
    I must say that Troy that works the gun counter is a shooter with good knowledge and has been very helpful when I have dealt with him. The others that work the gun counter leave a lot to be desired, and their selection of ammo sucks!

GLOCK1982

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    PARKE CO.
    I detest Gander Mountain. I have had plenty of bad dealings in there over the years and a couple years ago I just swore the place off all together. If I cannot get what I need from one of the many small shops and businesses in the state, I order it. Keep the little guys in business, they built this country!!!!

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I detest Gander Mountain. I have had plenty of bad dealings in there over the years and a couple years ago I just swore the place off all together. If I cannot get what I need from one of the many small shops and businesses in the state, I order it. Keep the little guys in business, they built this country!!!!

That seems to be the better way to deal with GM. I have a favoured LGS to deal with, and have a very good relationship with the owner and his wife. They take care of me, and I help them out whenever I can, weather it be by giving them my business, sending them a new customer, or even jumping behind the counter and helping out with the store when they get really busy.
    There are a few other stores that I have found locally to deal with that carry the other supplies I cannot get at my favourite store, and anything else I can get on-line, and usually do so with a group of friends, so it keeps the cost of shipping down. Gander Mountain is just one of those places that I stop by when I am in the area, to waste some time. Ocasionnaly I will run into a good deal there, and I am not upset when I do find one, but as far as regular business, I see no reason to spend $45/box on ammo that I can buy at the local farm store for $25, or online for $15.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I must say that Troy that works the gun counter is a shooter with good knowledge and has been very helpful when I have dealt with him. The others that work the gun counter leave a lot to be desired, and their selection of ammo sucks!

Is Troy the one who does some comp shooting? If so, he has spent time with us when my Lady was looking to pick out a carry. He had patience with her and let her handle everything they had in the display and answered all her questions. This was not the guy referenced in the OP and in our experience, not typical service in that particular store.

As with most things, there are absolutely no absolutes...

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Is Troy the one who does some comp shooting? If so, he has spent time with us when my Lady was looking to pick out a carry. He had patience with her and let her handle everything they had in the display and answered all her questions. This was not the guy referenced in the OP and in our experience, not typical service in that particular store.

That would be Nick. He used to shoot steel challenge at Riley. I think he
    got promoted to the supervisor position shortly after I left Terre Haute a year ago.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana

Yes, mainly steel challenge at Riley. He's not that much into the run & gun of USPSA. He also has a gun business on the side and is a class 3 dealer. The last I heard before the big run on guns he was getting ready to open his own gun shop but would have had trouble getting inventory to start with this year so he has postponed it.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Was in Gander a while back with a buddy when they first started carrying the dreaded black rifles. We were looking at a couple Bushmasters and the older gentleman(using the term loosly) behind the counter was offended that a "Hunting Store" even carried those type of guns. We both just looked at each other and smiled and walked away.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    Not sure if the kid still works there that I had an issue with. It was about a year ago, maybe a bit more, but I was considering my first pistol purchase and was looking at "pocket" guns. Some had a magazine extender on them, some didn't. I commented that I didn't really like the "feel" of the ones without the magazine extender and a few seconds later a female rep entered the area. This guy looked at her and said, "did you know the pinky finger is the strongest finger on the hand?" I looked at him, handed the gun back to him and walked away. He cost the store a sale with that comment. It had nothing to do with strength of grip, it was all about whether the gun felt natural in my hand. Now I do my gun buying at Carson Arms, over on Davis Ave.

HalfCocked

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well this may be an apples and oranges kind of thing but I worked in a woodworking store. We did not work on commission. Folks would come in and want to see a particular piece of equipment. They would ask a ton of questions, even try it out, or want a demo. In the end, often after an hour or more they would leave saying they could get it cheaper on the internet and not have to pay sales tax. After that happens a few times a day your helpful attitude starts to go south.

Top Bottom