• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hawg9259

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    brazil
    yes he is, nick also does shoot steel challenge now and then, and is the mgr now but troy is the one that has shot since the early 90s and does class 3 stuff and was the mgr there.
    Is Troy the one who does some comp shooting? If so, he has spent time with us when my Lady was looking to pick out a carry. He had patience with her and let her handle everything they had in the display and answered all her questions. This was not the guy referenced in the OP and in our experience, not typical service in that particular store.

As with most things, there are absolutely no absolutes...

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    I won't go to Gander Mountain in Terre Haute (or any GM for that matter) for anything firearms related. Only thing I've purchased there recently is a mad bomber hat to keep my noggin warm during this hellacious winter. They are way over-priced on everything firearms related, and it's almost a battle in itself to get anyone at the counter to take you seriously... Sad.

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    x3, where i purchased my hand gun. I would get the rifle I want to get there, but I can get it cheaper through someone else (which is rare since they are pretty good on prices).

X4. The only firearm store I have been to (other than GM) in Terre Haute is Top Guns. They seem to be very reasonably priced on everything and the salespeople are very knowledgable and friendly. I purchased my first handgun here a few weeks ago and have been back the last 3 weekends with some buddies. Trying to get some friends involved in shooting/carrying as well.

Anyway, they will be getting all of my business for the foreseeable future. The only reason I'll step foot in GM is for the slim chance they have some .22LR's available to scoop up for my father.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    A.) Some gun-counter-guys are not "gun guys"
    B.) Some people in retail do not belong there, interacting with the public
    C.) Some men don't think women are important enough to deal with
    D.) People can be jerks

Any combination of any (or all) of the above might be what you were encountering.

I've been in the Gander in this area (Fort Wayne) and gotten decent service at the gun counter once (the most recent visit---thanks Jack!!).
    Conversely, same Gander has been worse than you described every time prior at that same department (about four or five times--two Daves, a Mark, a Tom and a Harold?Harry maybe?).
    It's more of a "people" thing than a specific retailer name thing.

^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've had crappy service from lots of places. Gander does not have a corner on the market for crappy sales people. I've also had great service from lots of places, Gander Mountain included. One of the worst shops in town for service is Elmore's in Greenwood. But, once you get to know the folks there, they can be great. Still, the tone of the shop is that if you are not a uniformed cop, they have little time for you. The gun shop that gets most of my business, The Outdoorsman, is just down the street from them. Their list prices can be high but they will dicker. The thing I like about the place is how they treat folks they've never seen before.

Any shop can employ a moron.

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    This isn't just a trend at Gender Mountain, but in much of retail. Circuit City decided to get rid of seasoned staff and keep the younger, less knowledgeable staff (to save money), and they lost a ton of market share, business, and eventually went bankrupt over it. Best Buy now seems to be following their example.

Companies would be WISE to hire folks with a GREAT DEAL of knowledge for such positions. In this day of online shopping, customer service can be the difference between getting the business, or losing it.

Bestbuy is is a showroom for online purchases. They just haven't figured it out yet.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    It seems to be the trend everywhere, just the past year 50% of the management was replaced with very young people (nothing wrong with that) except that all but one of the new hires are in that age range.

Top Bottom