• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RTM15

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    I detest Gander Mountain. I have had plenty of bad dealings in there over the years and a couple years ago I just swore the place off all together. If I cannot get what I need from one of the many small shops and businesses in the state, I order it. Keep the little guys in business, they built this country!!!!

I couldnt agree more. I to have had the same issues. My boss sent a corporate complaint to them and all they could do is give him 5% off for his terrible experinece.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Well this may be an apples and oranges kind of thing but I worked in a woodworking store. We did not work on commission. Folks would come in and want to see a particular piece of equipment. They would ask a ton of questions, even try it out, or want a demo. In the end, often after an hour or more they would leave saying they could get it cheaper on the internet and not have to pay sales tax. After that happens a few times a day your helpful attitude starts to go south.

The lady in the op was in there to buy a pistol in the only place in town that she was aware sold guns. She had one that she had picked out and inquired specifically about it. She was not test driving for an internet buy.

He came off arragant, brash, loud, lofty and did not expand on any answers he did give. He cost himself a sale. No doubt...

While he might not work on commission, you can bet that somebody, somewhere, is monitoring or tracking sells per salesperson.

From a corp perspective, an emphasis might be placed on moving high profit pieces. One cannot disregard money that can be made in ancillary sales such as ammo in this case. If I were her, based on no other experience other than the one posted, I would not give them a dime unless the cost of gas and the value of my time was greater than the difference in cost. Even then I would have to ponder just how much of a difference is acceptable...

Last edited:

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    The TH Gander MTN is just plain awful. Generally speaking, most of the people working in the firearms section have no clue what's going on. My issue with them stems from trying to place on hold an M91/30 ex-PU so I could run and grab the cash. The dude behind the counter asked why I wanted that one so bad. I told him that it was an ex-sniper and that I collected the rifles. He asked and I quote: "What, are you looking to be some Enemy at the Gates?". I said: "Pretty much" and walked away. A fellow INGO member Clay ended up with the rifle after I tipped him off, but I though it was pretty pitiful that an employee would insult a customer for buying a relatively collectible firearm.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    I have lived in the terre haute area for 6 years now. I have learned to avoid all store employees. They dont know jack and they cant even spell discretion let alone define it.

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I'll vouch for Troy at the Terre Haute Gander Mountain. He's a shooter and will help any way he can. Gander came to town and basically put Poff's out of business. Now I don't see how they sell any guns. They'll have $599 on a Glock you can buy at Top Guns for $499. Ammo is crazy high too. Top Guns (south 3rd) and Carson Arms (Davis Ave.) are now much better options on the south end.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I bought a Beretta at G/M cuz it was on sale for less than I found even online. The salesman kept pushing the extended warranty for $$$$$. I told hin the factory was 1 year and as soon as I mailed the warranty card back to Beretta (within 30 days of purchase) they would extend the 1 year to 3 years for free. So much for informed help............ Research before you buy.

Whitey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Connersville
    Some people has the Barney Fife syndrom behing the counter. Then some people are very pleasent to deal with. I have found this in several sporting and gun shops. you just dont do bisiness with the Barney's.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Not in defense of the salesfolk in question............but when you are behind the counter is does get a bit old.

Every solder (or ex soldier) was a sniper.
    Non soldiers want sniper rifles to shoot 1000 yards, have a budget of 400 bucks.
    No bowhunter shoots an arrow less than 300 FPS.
    Massive bloodtrails from perfect hits go miles.
    Taurus and Glock are the best things ever, for any purpose.
    Merely walking through a gun or bow shop's front door is like taking 300 level physics classes.

It gets really old, esp when folks treat you like crap on the phone, or face to face, often lying. Many will lie to pit shop against shop, to save $10. Even had other shop owners call demanding to know what was quoted to a customer, or what we had..........never answered their questions. Yup, some shop owners are friggin' morons. Love it when they close their doors 2 yrs later (and a few did, geee wonder why).

But...............I and my coworkers never were rude to them, the lying and or idiot customers, or other shop owners.

We kept our comments among ourselves, after the doors got locked.

If some sales person made the "enemy at the gates" comment to me I'd heel pivot and march my ass right to management.

They need to know, as the moron is costing the company money. I'm sure somebody else who understands guns and sales is needing a job.

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    I didn't read all of the responses, so if this is a repeat question, I appologize, but which gander mountain are you talking about? I have had any problems with the one in Greenwood other than their gun prices are high and they have eliminated the middle isle. I complained about the isle and they said that was a corporate decision. I buy all sorts of stuff there and would say I get great help when needed. I have also had them match prices from other places (not on guns).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not in defense of the salesfolk in question............but when you are behind the counter is does get a bit old.

Every solder (or ex soldier) was a sniper.
    Non soldiers want sniper rifles to shoot 1000 yards, have a budget of 400 bucks.
    No bowhunter shoots an arrow less than 300 FPS.
    Massive bloodtrails from perfect hits go miles.
    Taurus and Glock are the best things ever, for any purpose.
    Merely walking through a gun or bow shop's front door is like taking 300 level physics classes.

It gets really old, esp when folks treat you like crap on the phone, or face to face, often lying. Many will lie to pit shop against shop, to save $10. Even had other shop owners call demanding to know what was quoted to a customer, or what we had..........never answered their questions. Yup, some shop owners are friggin' morons. Love it when they close their doors 2 yrs later (and a few did, geee wonder why).

But...............I and my coworkers never were rude to them, the lying and or idiot customers, or other shop owners.

We kept our comments among ourselves, after the doors got locked.

If some sales person made the "enemy at the gates" comment to me I'd heel pivot and march my ass right to management.

They need to know, as the moron is costing the company money. I'm sure somebody else who understands guns and sales is needing a job.

I have done this very thing in the past as to informing management of Morons on the staff. It was ignored and comments made as to my knowledge at which time I spun around and vacated before punching a few butt heads. Never again to spend any money's with them. It is a waste of energy to complain any more. It falls on deaf ears for the very reasons you mention and they are in fact true. Having dealt with the general public for years one will grow weary.
    That said, know your product, have some factual info at the ready or go sell under wear. Folks will bend you over backwards to save $4.00. For some reason it makes them feel like they stuck it to the man.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    I have done this very thing in the past as to informing management of Morons on the staff. It was ignored and comments made as to my knowledge at which time I spun around and vacated before punching a few butt heads. Never again to spend any money's with them. It is a waste of energy to complain any more. It falls on deaf ears for the very reasons you mention and they are in fact true. Having dealt with the general public for years one will grow weary.
    That said, know your product, have some factual info at the ready or go sell under wear. Folks will bend you over backwards to save $4.00. For some reason it makes them feel like they stuck it to the man.

Although I do agree with you, and as someone stated earlier in the thread people will lie to your face to get a deal. Working in a local pizza shop when I was 16, we would have all sorts of morons come in. Some would complain about prices and ask for discounts because they could get it cheaper at pizza hut, or ceasers.

I remember one time someone ordered one of our deserts with nuts in it. Since we served both I made sure they specified which one they wanted. It was a couple and she must have said "with nuts" three times to my face.

After she takes it out to the table and her significant other had taken a couple bites, nuts included, she comes up to us and says that we made a mistake and put nuts in it, and that she wanted another one without nuts. Our policy was to get all the food back (This even included $22 pizzas if need be) and give the customer a replacement.

She said that that was absurd, and she wanted another one without nuts, to keep the one she had (which she had returned to her SO who was eating it as we spoke), and wanted a discount on her entire order for wasting her time or something or the other.

Also had people try to get replacement pizzas cause they had the wrong topping AFTER they had already eaten it all.

When it comes to management all they can really go on is lost sales, because their enough bad and lying customers out there that they always have to take the word of their employee. He most likely thought you were going to demand a discount because of this comment that the employee "apparently" said. :dunno:

So goes the life of a store manager.

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    The rule used to be "the customer is always right". You don't see this practiced so much anymore. And in some cases for good reason - the customer is a knucklehead. The bad behavior goes both ways nowadays and basically reflects an overall decline in our society.

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Wow 7.62! When I saw your avatar I thought I replied to myself. Glad to see you support the NRA.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    A fellow INGO member Clay ended up with the rifle after I tipped him off, but I though it was pretty pitiful that an employee would insult a customer for buying a relatively collectible firearm.

yup, I did, and thanks again for that!!

Gander has gone down hill since they re-arranged everything. Troy is no longer the manager, and he was a pretty good guy. They moved all the guns behind the counters, and got rid of their gun smiths. They started giving less money for trades, hence they have very few guns coming in, which IMO was where the deals were. So to me gander is pretty worthless even as a place to look at guns.

himant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    It seems to be a crap shoot, ive been to the GW gander and its a 50/50.. sometimes the guy is great sometimes not so much,,but the biggest complaint is waiting for someone to get to you,,when they come they stay with you till your done,,seem to be just a little understaffed is all.

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Troy is no longer the manager, and he was a pretty good guy.

Has Troy left GM or is he just not the manager any more? I agree he's a good guy. If he has left, do you know what he's doing now?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Im not sure, I know he ceased to be the 'firearms manager' a while back, because he told me that, but I haven't talked to him since then to know if he's even still there.

Top Bottom