• ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    This is clown world level nonsense.

Evolution is a scientific theory. There is no worship involved. There are no services, and no bake sales to buy new DNA sequencing equipment. Nobody is threatening to throw you in a pit of fire if you don't accept a scientific theory.

I'm agnostic, but lean heavily towards suspecting that we evolved from a common ancestor of other primates, since our DNA matches over 98% of Chimpanzee and Bonobo DNA. We can observe that. Seems more legit than boom boom 7 day magic from a god who saw fit to create childhood luekemia along with the puppy dogs and flowers, and every animal species in the world living within walking distance of an old man with a big boat.
    We disagree on this, and that's fine you were created with free will.

So you blame God for mankind's sin?
    Because of sin, and free will comes disease, and the choice of man to do evil, or good.

If you want an explanation of Noah's ark pm me.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Because of sin, and free will comes disease, and the choice of man to do evil, or good.

If you want an explanation of Noah's ark pm me.
    No thanks. You'll just **** me off with the word games, not to mention the astounding arrogance one must have to actually believe that, out of all of the thousands of years that humans have existed, that you, right here in the middle of a cornfield in a nation barely 200 years old, just happen to have the unerrant truth about it all and have a personal relationship with the entity that created it.

Mankind's "sin" causes childhood diseases? You can **** right off with that nonsense.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    No thanks. You'll just **** me off with the word games, not to mention the astounding arrogance one must have to actually believe that, out of all of the thousands of years that humans have existed, that you, right here in the middle of a cornfield in a nation barely 200 years old, just happen to have the unerrant truth about it all and have a personal relationship with the entity that created it.

Mankind's "sin" causes childhood diseases? You can **** right off with that nonsense.
    Why do you get so upset. You say what you believe I say what I believe. Leave it at that.
    Just because I disagree with you doesn't make me angry or dislike you. I would hope that you feel the same.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Here's something to illustrate the difference between religious faith and a faith in natural causes and effects, yet both lead to the same answer.

Some religions believe that wiping your ass with your right hand is an abomination, and makes their god(s) angry. This likely started from an observation that people who wipe their ass and then eat with the same hand, usually right hand, tended to get sick and sometimes die. Nevertheless, their religion provided the right answer to help them survive. Don't eat food with ****ty hands.

Okay, so knowledge of biology gave us a better reason not to eat with ****ty hands than it pisses the gods off, so they punish you with sickness. **** has dangerous bacteria that can pass to your food and make you sick. Both ways of knowing, religion, and science, came up with the right answer: don't eat food when your hands are ****ty. Wash them first. Or, believe the gods will make you sick and never eat with the same hand that wiped your ass.

So. Does our faith in that natural explanation for why we shouldn't eat with ****ty hands make it a religious belief? Of course not. So why would one think that belief in the theory of evolution is a religious kind of faith? First, it's not that kind of belief. When new information becomes available, the "faith" changes with the new information. Can you say that about religious faith?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So not a Calvinist? :):
    This is a misunderstanding. How is he blaming God for mankind's sin. Non-religious people don't really think in terms of sin.

And non-religious people also don't think in terms of sin causing disease. But certainly poor choices can lead to disease. For example, wiping your ass with the same hand you eat with isn't a sin. But it can lead to disease if you don't wash your hands thoroughly after taking a ****.

Ooh. How about this one. Don't touch your phone until you've washed your hands after ****ting. The problem with that. Say you're watching Hickok45 while on the ****ter, and it's time to wipe. Make sure you use your off hand to skip commercials. Inevitably the "cardio doesn't burn fat" dude will show up as soon as you start wiping. Instinctively you'll frantically try to skip it. Just don't skip with the ****ty hand.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    And you think the founders had this more general definition in mind when they wrote the BoR?
    Come on. The Founders would be crapping on all of this.

Their understanding is clear.

The religion the State was barred from establishing would have been a state sanctioned Christian religion.

They would have laughed at us for having government run schools, but to think they didn’t want the God of the Universe to be exalted is foolishness.

They may have asked why we would have argued for the 10 commandments in a silly government run school, as they would have assumed everyone in this country would have assumed its veracity.

But for the small minority that didn’t, they wouldn’t have state sponsored church presiding over things.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Come on. The Founders would be crapping on all of this.

Their understanding is clear.

The religion the State was barred from establishing would have been a state sanctioned Christian religion.

They would have laughed at us for having government run schools, but to think they didn’t want the God of the Universe to be exalted is foolishness.
    Uh. They had public schools in the colonies as early as 1600s, by mid 1600s even tax subsidized public schools.

They may have asked why we would have argued for the 10 commandments in a silly government run school, as they would have assumed everyone in this country would have assumed its veracity.

But for the small minority that didn’t, they wouldn’t have state sponsored church presiding over things.

The establishment clause does not say it prohibits the establishment of a state Christian sect. It says religion without qualifiers. Christianity has always been the dominant religion in the US. It was not the only one.

I'm going to ask you the same question I asked others. In your zeal to put the 10 commandments in public schools, would you prohibit other religions from posting their important religious beliefs?

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Uh. They had public schools in the colonies as early as 1600s, by mid 1600s even tax subsidized public schools.

The establishment clause does not say it prohibits the establishment of a state Christian sect. It says religion without qualifiers. Christianity has always been the dominant religion in the US. It was not the only one.

I'm going to ask you the same question I asked others. In your zeal to put the 10 commandments in public schools, would you prohibit other religions from posting their important religious beliefs?
    My view is this has nothing to do with religion at all.

This is our God’s Words.

Period.

Why would I want some Satan inspired confusion to be posted in a school??

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Evolution is a scientific theory. There is no worship involved. There are no services, and no bake sales to buy new DNA sequencing equipment. Nobody is threatening to throw you in a pit of fire if you don't accept a scientific theory.

I'm agnostic, but lean heavily towards suspecting that we evolved from a common ancestor of other primates, since our DNA matches over 98% of Chimpanzee and Bonobo DNA. We can observe that. Seems more legit than boom boom 7 day magic from a god who saw fit to create childhood luekemia along with the puppy dogs and flowers, and every animal species in the world living within walking distance of an old man with a big boat.
    Why don’t elephants build houses? Why don’t they drive cars? What exactly failed in their evolution?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My view is this has nothing to do with religion at all.

This is our God’s Words.

Period.

Why would I want some Satan inspired confusion to be posted in a school??
    Simple. Because. IT'S NOT YOUR SCHOOL!

If you want a school where you can post your God's words, then post them in your private schools. If you get to post them in public schools, then so do other religions. It's just what it is.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    When I looked the most honest answer was that the definition is, wait for it, controversial. Go figure.

Well. It's hard. Apparently. There are so many religions that differ greatly. Like I said, I think rather than defining it, it's better to describe it with concepts that are common to pretty much all of them.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Well. It's hard. Apparently. There are so many religions that differ greatly. Like I said, I think rather than defining it, it's better to describe it with concepts that are common to pretty much all of them.
    And that commonality is found in much taught in public schools today, climate change, and you name it has tenants similar to most definitions of “religion”…

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What harms atheists if Christian’s ( and others) say they are religious?
    Because that argument is only posed to get Christianity into public schools under the guise of equality.

Even a a Christian, I acknowledge it's a very lame argument.

Evolution is a scientific theory based upon a logical conclusion of what is observable, when you exclude a wooden reading of a religious text and divine intervention (or allow it if you're a theistic evolutionist). Is it right, is it wrong? I really don't know.

And that brings up another point - there's a lot people who you can classify as theistic evolutionist, even ones that identify as Christians (mostly mainline).

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Welp, there it is. Four minutes into Thursday, and I'm sure I'll not read something this stupid the entire rest of the day.

Holy ****!

I'm out...I just can't.

:rolleyes: :):
    Evolution either works or it doesn’t? Just where did the missing link DNA come from? Why does science not know where all the DNA came from? If macro evolution occurred where did the DNA come from? Arrogance is believing micro evolution is proof of macro evolution…

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And that commonality is found in much taught in public schools today, climate change, and you name it has tenants similar to most definitions of “religion”…
    Much of the climate change debate is politically motivated on both sides. That's not the same as religion. But, in the alternate definition of religion where even consumerism can be a "religion", a lot of climate change zealots behave like it's a religion. And really, I suppose you could say it's that way on both sides.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Evolution either works or it doesn’t? Just where did the missing link DNA come from? Why does science not know where all the DNA came from? If macro evolution occurred where did the DNA come from? Arrogance is believing micro evolution is proof of macro evolution…
    What do you mean it works or it doesn't? Lots of evolutionary changes didn't work.

Last I heard, evolution was a theory. Thus there is no concrete repeatable proof it is correct. It is merely the best explanation based upon known data. Scientists are always looking for more data to prove it, or in some cases to disprove it I imagine.

Top Bottom