• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    #1. I work in aviation. Fly through many large hub airports on a yearly basis. You are giving the TSA so much more credit than they deserve for being on "heightened alert". Made me chuckle.

#2. Based on the above I see no difference between an airport and a marathon when it comes to the general awareness of people. I see suspicious package delays quite frequently pre-Boston. Usually someone forgets a bag while eating etc. People do notice things left behind that should be taken.

What kind of cynical person thinks like you?

In a situation like an airport, when awareness is automatically heightened, I understand and agree. But with almost 30000 runners, probably triple that in support people and 500000 (yes half a million) spectators milling around in semi-organized chaos, do you REALLY think someone is going to notice 2 men with backpacks. REALLY?!?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    next up...The Kentucky Derby and a number of other events next week, including a marathon in Louisville this Saturday.
    They would never hit the Derby. The Sheiks like their horses too much.

#1. I work in aviation. Fly through many large hub airports on a yearly basis. You are giving the TSA so much more credit than they deserve for being on "heightened alert". Made me chuckle.

#2. Based on the above I see no difference between an airport and a marathon when it comes to the general awareness of people. I see suspicious package delays quite frequently pre-Boston. Usually someone forgets a bag while eating etc. People do notice things left behind that should be taken.

:wavey:

People notice in airports because they've been conditioned to notice...at the airport.

People don't notice the big ugly firearm on my hip when I'm standing 24" from them. I don't have much faith they will be able to keep track of multiple bags and their owners in a large crowd situation and to say definitively that the one sitting on the ground doesn't belong to any of the bystanders in its immediate vicinity because they know that that backpack was owned by someone not currently in the area.

Most people simply don't have that level of SA.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    with the north american islamic society located on the aproach to Indpls int. airport over at plainfield its not a question of if but when.

with the North American Islamic Society setting on the aproach to indpls international airport its not if but when.

Last edited by a moderator:

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville

I'm cynical?? Because I think a person from Indiana at a large event is no more likely to notice a randomly "forgotten" backpack than someone in that same situation in Massachusetts??? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

And I said nothing about the TSA. Last time I traveled, the airport was bombarded by announcements about "unattended baggage". Does it happen? I'm sure it does. But I doubt any less frequently in Indiana than in the Massachusetts, New York or any other state that is "unfriendly to personal protection."

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Glad a couple folks remember the bombing in Salem (1988 I think). A few years earlier a former Washington County Sheriff was shot and killed coming out of church. Before that? Morgan's Raid in 1863??

Indy 500 is 250,000 people in a very small place and a soft target from the air. We learned that airplanes are weapons several years ago.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Operant Conditioning

What you get in, lets say, a states citizenry is a group of people who have been conditioned by the laws, respect towards all freedoms, and attempts at restricting those freedoms. If personal freedom is restricted by the state (negative stimulus) and reliance on .gov is pushed by the state (positive stimulus) you end up with a group of people who rely on the government for everything. This decreases personal responsibility.

Since the freedoms in Mass and IN are much different I believe that IN residents are more likely to pay attention to their surroundings since they have been conditioned to do so by the lack of freedom restricting laws here relative to Mass.

Does that mean that I am sure someone would have noticed? Nope. We could never be sure. I do believe it is more likely an IN resident would notice though.

Mind you, that the conditioning by the state is only one factor, albeit a large one, that goes towards an individuals conditioning when it comes to their level of situational awareness.

But now I can't get the vision out of my head of a helpful Hoosier walking up to white hat guy saying "Sir you left your bag!!".

I'm cynical?? Because I think a person from Indiana at a large event is no more likely to notice a randomly "forgotten" backpack than someone in that same situation in Massachusetts??? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

And I said nothing about the TSA. Last time I traveled, the airport was bombarded by announcements about "unattended baggage". Does it happen? I'm sure it does. But I doubt any less frequently in Indiana than in the Massachusetts, New York or any other state that is "unfriendly to personal protection."

Southwind

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    SW Indiana
    In Indiana the conversation would go like this:

Bad Guy -- "Sir, would you mind keeping an eye on my backpack while I try to find a restroom?"
    Hoosier -- "Why, of course, son. Take your time, it will be right here when you get back"

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Yah guys don't tell the terrorist where a lot of people will be gathered, not like its not in the media and god forbid we let them in on secrets like the Indy 500 and other large events, they would have never figured it out... get over yourself!

There's more than general info being posted here... so, get over yourself!

Last edited:

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Blowing up hilljack Hoosiers doesn't have the same value to the terrorist agenda as blowing up the sauve and cultured dwellers of the big urban centers.

In short: we are perceived as lesser citizens than the movers and shakers in New York and Boston.

And I think you give too much merit to the Indiana press; I can picture the Indiana Daily Stupid offering milk and cookies to the bombers, just as long as they weren't white Christian males..........

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think Indiana is still as much at risk as anywhere. We still have high profile events here with large crowds. I just don't believe the terrorists agenda benefits them as much committing acts here in America anymore as much as it does in foreign countries where political ransoms or fear of the people could effect changes that benefit the terrorist agenda.
    Here in the U.S. an attack just makes us pissed and wanna hunt them down and kill them.
    Don't be fooled by the lack of attacks since 9/11. It would not be hard at all for them to strike if they wanted to. Right now they are more focused on gaining high level positions in countries like Egypt so that they can have whole armies at their disposal.
    But we cannot become complacent because there are still many different crazy people in this world who would love to harm us or gain fame no matter how negative.
    Be vigilant!

bottlemaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Fairmount.in
    What you might not be thinking about is that we have 200,000 thousand Muslim
    Living in Michigan most are probably good people but if you have only 1/2 percent that is bad people radicalized Muslim , you could load a truck with 30
    men I live in a small town of 2900 you could drop 15 at one end of town and 15 men at the other end with automatic weapons and before you could come to your senses they could wipe out the whole town. In this town there's about 15 or 20 people that are armed but they are spread over a wide area and probably
    against auto weapons wouldn't do much good maybe they could take care of themselves but not other people....... it could happen.
    bob

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    What you might not be thinking about is that we have 200,000 thousand Muslim
    Living in Michigan most are probably good people but if you have only 1/2 percent that is bad people radicalized Muslim , you could load a truck with 30
    men I live in a small town of 2900 you could drop 15 at one end of town and 15 men at the other end with automatic weapons and before you could come to your senses they could wipe out the whole town. In this town there's about 15 or 20 people that are armed but they are spread over a wide area and probably
    against auto weapons wouldn't do much good maybe they could take care of themselves but not other people....... it could happen.
    bob

And if 1/2 of one percent of the people in your town are redneck idiots (which seems likely) you have 15 people there who need to be monitored!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think it can happen anywhere. Sure, there are some advantages to be had here, but being a state that embraces firearms would not make a difference in a Boston style attack. Our best defense is the fact that Hoosiers are so dang friendly, any would be bomber would abandon their plans to do harm after the second round of corn-hole.

Top Bottom