Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You're correct, to a point. However, with the example given, there is no real, honest way to justify another person or group of people having more freedom to pick the color of a neighbor's house than that neighbor does. IMO, freedom ends at the property line. Seeking to control a property that doesn't actually belong to you is hardly different than trespassing in my opinion. Forming a group of similar minded individuals and wrapping it in the trappings of an officialdom with an HOA doesn't lessen the trespass either. Also, while garish paint schemes, maintenance, etc. may be the reasons given for the formation of an HOA, it never ends there. There is always mission expansion as some members discover that they enjoy the control. "The issue is never the issue, the issue is always control."
    Well said and yes, I agree for the most part.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You're correct, to a point. However, with the example given, there is no real, honest way to justify another person or group of people having more freedom to pick the color of a neighbor's house than that neighbor does. IMO, freedom ends at the property line. Seeking to control a property that doesn't actually belong to you is hardly different than trespassing in my opinion. Forming a group of similar minded individuals and wrapping it in the trappings of an officialdom with an HOA doesn't lessen the trespass either. Also, while garish paint schemes, maintenance, etc. may be the reasons given for the formation of an HOA, it never ends there. There is always mission expansion as some members discover that they enjoy the control. "The issue is never the issue, the issue is always control."
    If a group of people agree that there will be no paint colors other than what the group agree the paint colors are, do they not have the freedom to make that agreement?

An HOA is voluntary, no one is ever forced to join one, shouldn’t people have the freedom to join one? Just as most here relish the freedom not to join one?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    BTW, my personal preference right now would be a well prepped cabin in the woods on the 200 acres I owned three miles from my nearest neighbors, and for sure no HOA.

But as long as I have to live in a subdivision I want some way to keep the outliers under control…

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If a group of people agree that there will be no paint colors other than what the group agree the paint colors are, do they not have the freedom to make that agreement?

An HOA is voluntary, no one is ever forced to join one, shouldn’t people have the freedom to join one? Just as most here relish the freedom not to join one?
    You're saying that someone can move into a neighborhood with an HOA, they could opt not to join, and thus not be subject to the rules and associated fees? That doesn't sound right.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

Sure, they can make the agreement... trying to enforce that agreement on those that did not agree is the problem.

No one has yet or is likely to say that anyone cannot join a HOA if they want to. Because most here do value their freedom, they've stated their desire to not live under an HOA and naturally, pushed back against the idea that they should live under one. Now that you mention it though, perhaps we should come together and agree that HOA threads are not allowed on INGO. HOA promotion could lower the value of the place after all. ;)

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    BTW, my personal preference right now would be a well prepped cabin in the woods on the 200 acres I owned three miles from my nearest neighbors, and for sure no HOA.

But as long as I have to live in a subdivision I want some way to keep the outliers under control…
    That right there say everything.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    It does, therefore I volunteer to join in a group that has agreed to live according to the covenants and if someone violates their agreement we have recourse. Not a thing wrong with that. Freedom to choose.
    Haha, The Freedom to control what others do on their property.

That's the definition of the American Dream.

No thanks.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

And what if the Board of that group of people vote and decide hot pink is the only acceptable color and any new construction/remodeling/repair must be in that color? Then along comes a hailstorm and damages just a couple pieces of siding, you now have the option of redoing the house hot pink or having a couple of patches of hot pink.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    As bug said, INGO doesn’t like to be told they can’t do something. LOL. I guess I don’t either but I try to temper that with the trade offs of the agreement as to how we will live.
    No, it appears you like to tell your neighbors what they can/can't do.
    To most of the country, and too lenders, it increases the value…
    Perhaps lenders, I'll need a cite for most of the country.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    If one lives in the neighborhood and signed a deed they agreed to the covenants and HOA..
    That they foolishly agreed to the covenants at the time of purchase does not mean that they will also agree with covenants enacted later by the HOA. A lot of things that sound like a good idea when you have control become a lot less so when others that disagree gain control. Or when the amount of control, or the things being controlled inevitably increase. Some have to learn this the hard way.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    And what if the Board of that group of people vote and decide hot pink is the only acceptable color and any new construction/remodeling/repair must be in that color? Then along comes a hailstorm and damages just a couple pieces of siding, you now have the option of redoing the house hot pink or having a couple of patches of hot pink.
    If it is in the covenants when one buys or is legally changed then that is what was agreed…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That they foolishly agreed to the covenants at the time of purchase does not mean that they will also agree with covenants enacted later by the HOA. A lot of things that sound like a good idea when you have control become a lot less so when others that disagree gain control. Or when the amount of control, or the things being controlled inevitably increase. Some have to learn this the hard way.
    So people are duped into buying property with an HOA? My experience has shown the opposite of what you described. Most neighborhoods HOA get more lax over the years…

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom