Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Banning an activity in the house

Banning firearms in "common areas"
    Both valid IMO.

1. The first article refers to townhouses. They share common walls. If the smoke can enter another unit, then it is completely valid. I live in a townhouse, and our association has a similar rule for that exact reason.

2. Common areas are owned by the association, and as a property owner they can place stipulations, just like a local business can post no guns signs.

I see no problems here.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The biggest naysayers value their rights and freedoms the supporters are more interested in living their lives the way others want them to and conforming
    And there are options for both ways of thinking. I am not trying to change anyones mind about what is the right living situation for them, just trying to add understanding to the thinking that no HOA is pure heaven and an HOA is pure hell. The Eagles said “every form of refuge has its price”…

If I’m in a subdivision I want a strong HOA that keep the neighborhood clean tidy. If I go for that rural farm/compound I would want no deed restrictions at all.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Banning an activity in the house

Banning firearms in "common areas"
    Condo buildings are a different animal. I am discussing single family homes HOA’s…

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You guys realize that the few internet articles you find and are all smug about come from literally millions of HOA’s around the country.

So you want to take the freedom of the developer. that owns the most lots in the subdivision, to be sure the idiots don’t make the place look like a dump?

There is a reason most people are very happy to have an HOA, they have a significant investment, too much to leave to the lowest common denominator next door.
    Just pointing out one of millions of viewpoints. Don't make a pile of poopy to me one way or the other. My one experience in an HOA was horrible with a very us vs them atmosphere and I won't do it again.

I've experienced and read too many horror stories including evictions of the rightful owners to see any shred of decency in them. If you've had nothing but good experiences with them I'm happy for you. Me personally? NEVER again.

"Few", just googling "bad hoa experiences" renders 20 million + links while googling "good hoa experiences renders 36+ million of course on the first page only one of the links renders positives all of the others are negatives.

That's the great thing about the internet though, there's always a way to support whatever view you have.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Was just reading that the average HOA fee nationwide is $2800 per year , and that homes in HOAs sell on average for 4%/$13500 more

Sounds like 5 years is breakeven and longer than that and it's a net loss. It can't be that people like to pay to be told what to do, so I guess they pay so they can tell OTHER people what to do

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Was just reading that the average HOA fee nationwide is $2800 per year , and that homes in HOAs sell on average for 4%/$13500 more

Sounds like 5 years is breakeven and longer than that and it's a net loss. It can't be that people like to pay to be told what to do, so I guess they pay so they can tell OTHER people what to do
    Not for single family home neighborhoods in Indiana. Then there is the issue of what amenities are being paid for. A pool and clubhouse? Golf course? Neighborhood parks? Tennis courts? What exactly is the fee for? Then if condos are added the cost of all exterior maintenance must also be added, lawn care, snow removal, siding, roofs, the list goes on.

These averages are almost meaningless…

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Average sale price? Seems likely to be more correlation than causation.
    I'll post the article if I can find it again without too much work. Another interesting correlation was that HOAs were more prevalent where zoning laws were considered weak. People were more willing to put up with them when they thought other controls on behavior would be less effective

I was flabbergasted that anyone would bend over and pay that kind of money for nothing - like having condo fees on a house

I could not find, within the level of time I was willing to devote to it, either national or state level counts of the number of legal complaints against HOAs

For some reason that information doesn't appear to be collated

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I was flabbergasted that anyone would bend over and pay that kind of money for nothing - like having condo fees on a house
    Some care a lot more than you do. That folks like the entrance to the neighborhood and other common areas to be well maintained, that they enjoy shared amenities like pools, basketball and tennis courts is certainly not getting nothing. But INGO struggles to grant them the freedom to do so without ridicule…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I could not find, within the level of time I was willing to devote to it, either national or state level counts of the number of legal complaints against HOAs
    And what would that prove? That is the venue for disputes. Millions and millions live in neighborhoods with HOA‘s. The number of suits would need to be massive to be proportional to the residents…

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    No matter how hard you wish this would go away and here it is back again. 22 pages on HOAs.

Im about to go to the pineapple on pizza thread just to get the hell away from it...

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I know, right. It just follows you everywhere you go…
    Isn't this a topic because YOU started the thread knowing it would be a mess Are you Eddie Haskell? I think the ones with their panties knotted up are the ones who want to control their neighbors. If you have not come out of the closet you would make a great Liberal, among their traits are hypocrisy

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom