• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Aren't there already regulations and recourse for thing of that nature though?
    In my suburb, it is prohibited by legislative action at the town level, not allowed anywhere. It is a fraught position legally because you are restricting an owners use of his property. It is usually underpinned by zoning language. In my town, everything outside of distinct commercial strips along arterials is zoned residential single family housing and that sort of business entity is considered commercial use of the property. There is a carve out for traditional (one year lease) rental of a property because that was necessary to get sufficient people to support the restrictions and does not have as deleterious an effect on neighborhood character, especially given what a property rents for in our town. In all, last time I knew the current figures, less than 1/2 of one per percent of residential properties were available as rentals

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I doubt member approval requires 100% agreement
    In reality it's very difficult to change anything within an HOA. For ours at least you need a certain number of members to show up even to have a meeting and after that you need upwards of 80% of the membership to agree to a change in the covenants. This in effect guarantees not much will get changed no matter how many Karen's get on the board.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    A friend of mine bought a house in downtown Indy in the early 80’s back when no one wanted to live there. most of the houses around him were drug houses or burnt out homes. He fixed his up and over the years it started being a desirable neighborhood to to live in. Next came the historic society with there rules. A couple of months ago he wanted to replace his wooden picket fence with the same height wrought iron fence. Before he could do it he had to pay $400 bucks for a application and send a letter to all of his neighbors (about 300 of them) with details of what he wanted to do and ask for permission to put up a fence.
    No thanks, I will live where I don’t have to beg to do anything on my property.
    Where I live, I too would have to get approval for a fencing project from my neighbors, but only the contiguous ones

What I gain in exchange for this is other regulations to smooth the rough edges off interactions between neighbors - specifically such things as the noise standard being if I think something is too loud, it is (no 'above 60 decibels within 50 feet of the residence for a period greater than 30 minutes' bull****) as well as my neighbor can install 'dramatic lighting' for his house if he desires but no more than 5 lumens can fall on my property. It might sound similar to an HOA but in practice, since it is administered by city town officials, it is far less petty and driven more by common sense. If I was to complain about someone having a sound system playing at a low level on their patio or perhaps having too many Christmas lights, a code enforcement official would take the complaint, research the situation and almost certainly nothing would come of it. A 'reasonable person' standard applies

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Since most newer neighborhoods have homes twenty feet apart I like to have agreement as to how we will live. An agreement that we will mow our grass, not park boats and RV’s permanently, raise livestock, or many others. When one has $250,000 to $500,000 invested the knowledge that a neighbor cannot paint their house pink is comforting to me.

You guys are welcome to do you.

Careful. We may make a libertarian out of you yet! :):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It appears you do not understand the contract that is an HOA. Agreement of how we will live is not telling anyone anything, it is an agreement as to how we will live. There is a difference.

The difference between my thinking and most of INGO is I believe this is an agreement and INGO believes someone is telling them what to do, even though they agreed to do it if they have an HOA. I also believe most of the negative comments do not even live in an HOA. LOL
    It is an agreement to let an HOA board tell you what you can do.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    The death from a thousand cuts from overzealous little Napoleons is often worse than the rando situations like this.

I can rattle off a half dozen petty complaints against the HOAs just from my AO.

A preview includes:
    "You didnt ask to put a raised bed between your sidewalk and house. Rip it out, submit professional elevations and we will consider your request." (She told them to pound sand because its just 2 landscape timbers tall and a trunkload of soil. they relented after a scolding)
    "you didnt paint that new mailbox post using Sherwin Williams #2345 beige" (homeowner used the equivalent color from his neighbor accounting for fade to make it match perfectly)
    "you didnt purchase the replacement mailbox and have it replaced by our vendor. Rip it out and contact Bob at..." (it was the exact same post style and box type/size. "Bob" is the friends with the board and they knew he didnt do the job )

All of these included threats of fines if not done.

Sounds like my aunt's place. put up a railing around her porch. they threw a caniption fit about it saying it was built wrong, not to code, not approved, etc (it was perfectly fine). They were upset because she didn't use the head administrator's buddy. She didn't use him because she talked to neighbors and found he did a porch across the way which was very much not built right. She spent a while running HOAs and does legal stuff at a bank so she knows how to read a contract and her HOA is basically toothless aside from harassment.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Every HOA is different, but in most the board cannot randomly change the bylaws. In our HOA, any change to the bylaws must be announced and voted on by the members of the HOA. The board approves measures, legal documents, approves spending within the budget, etc.
    Ok, so don't compare to government.

Let's see. There is a group of people in charge, laws, voting, legal documents, taxes, budgets, enforcement and punishments.

I don't know sure sounds a lot like governing.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    It is an agreement to let an HOA board tell you what you can do.
    Yes and no. It is an agreement to abide by the bylaws of the HOA. In some, the board has broad discretion to enforce the bylaws. More commonly, the board is limited by the agreement.

Either way, the agreement was entered into willingly by both parties. I recommend to anyone wishing to buy a home in a HOA to research these details prior to entering the agreement.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    When you choose to live on top of each other, you take your chances. Rural living tends to not have these problems. Life is about choices.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    We find that houses in HOAs have prices that are on average at least 4%, or $13,500, greater than observably similar houses outside of HOAs.

This only matters if you are a seller. Are your intentions to live there and raise a family, or are you a property profiteer? I have a hundred reasons that are more important in my home buying choices than what I can sell the house at later.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This only matters if you are a seller. Are your intentions to live there and raise a family, or are you a property profiteer? I have a hundred reasons that are more important in my home buying choices than what I can sell the house at later.
    Their homes are the largest form of savings for most people for retirement or to pass on to their children…

Many families make hundreds of thousands of dollars on their homes in their lifetimes…

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Shadow, they are coming for your peace now that wuwho flu taught them they can work anywhere and your solace is about to end…
    I’m rural enough that if I chose to move, I can be in a place without the type of internet access those you describe would need to work from home. I can drive less that 10 miles from my home and have no cell or any type of internet other than satellite.

Lpherr

In a blue bubble
    Along the same lines; I wouldn't purchase a historical property, for these exact reasons.
    Most historical properties are governed. There are strict regulations on everything associated with the property, and
    everything requires going through a committee for approval. Maybe this is different depending on location, but my in-laws
    had to deal with this on an inherited property. They unloaded said property, very quickly.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    HOA’s are a choice. Stop comparing them to dictatorships and gov overreach.

You can choose to live under a HOA, or not. Nobody is forcing you, like they would under a dictatorship.

My wife and I bought a townhouse condo several years ago. There was a HOA for the community. We looked it over before we signed papers and decided we could live with it. It was a contract that I entered into willingly. I also decided to be involved, so that the HOA wasn’t overrun by Karen’s and I joined the HOA board.

I’m not a big fan of HOA’s, but I do see some benefit in certain settings. Probably when I buy my next house, I will look for something where the neighbors aren’t so close, and there isn’t a HOA. But again, that will be my choice. Nobody is forcing anyone to join a HOA.
    No, I wouldn’t classify them as dictatorships, but they do serve as a governing body with certain powers granted to them in the HOA agreement. I’m in the camp that says I would rather not live in such a neighborhood. Over the years I have lived in neighborhoods with HOAs, I’ve served on the board of an HOA. You’d be hard pressed to convince some of these people that it’s not a dictatorship.

While there is a choice whether you do or don’t, any new neighborhood is under tremendous pressure to have an HOA. If you want to live that suburban life you don’t have a choice other than to do your homework to know what the bylaws are and how easy it is for the board to create ridiculous rules.

If the proportion of Karens in the neighborhood is a majority and they’re representation on the board is the same, yer gettin’ nonsense like the garage door open rule. And there’s not a whole lot you can do about it. Also, with social media like nextdoor, those bitches will shame neighbors into supporting all kinds of stupid rules.

When I was on an HOA board, they could change the bylaws fairly easy. Changing bylaws required signatures. So the karens—most of the board was Karens—would canvass the neighborhood to get the required signatures to do whatever they wanted. I only lived in that neighborhood for 5 years.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom