• Status
    Not open for further replies.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    So people are duped into buying property with an HOA? My experience has shown the opposite of what you described. Most neighborhoods HOA get more lax over the years…
    Short sighted would be more accurate. If that is your experience, that makes both the acceptance more understandable and the necessity less so.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    If it is in the covenants when one buys or is legally changed then that is what was agreed…
    If it was in the ccrs when bought I'll agree, heck I'll even agree that they agreed it could be changed. That doesn't mean they agree with the change. If your local board made that change, would you agree with it?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    No, it appears you like to tell your neighbors what they can/can't do.

Perhaps lenders, I'll need a cite for most of the country.
    Since most newer neighborhoods have homes twenty feet apart I like to have agreement as to how we will live. An agreement that we will mow our grass, not park boats and RV’s permanently, raise livestock, or many others. When one has $250,000 to $500,000 invested the knowledge that a neighbor cannot paint their house pink is comforting to me.

You guys are welcome to do you.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Since most newer neighborhoods have homes twenty feet apart I like to have agreement as to how we will live. An agreement that we will mow our grass, not park boats and RV’s permanently, raise livestock, or many others. When one has $250,000 to $500,000 invested the knowledge that a neighbor cannot paint their house pink is comforting to me.

You guys are welcome to do you.
    Like I said, it appears you like to tell people what they can/can't/must do to their own property. There is a word for someone like that...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Lived in HOA neighborhoods for too long to remember. Truly never met what you call a Karen…
    Hey. Branch out. Go rural. You may never want to go back. Of course you won’t get to tell people what colors they can paint their homes. So that might be a drawback for some people.

You have had an extraordinary experience if you’ve never encountered a Karen on an HOA board. Like police jobs attract jackboot types, HOA’s attract Karens. I think your experience, assuming no biases that might prevent you from noticing, is not the norm, but the exception.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Like I said, it appears you like to tell people what they can/can't/must do to their own property. There is a word for someone like that...
    It appears you do not understand the contract that is an HOA. Agreement of how we will live is not telling anyone anything, it is an agreement as to how we will live. There is a difference.

The difference between my thinking and most of INGO is I believe this is an agreement and INGO believes someone is telling them what to do, even though they agreed to do it if they have an HOA. I also believe most of the negative comments do not even live in an HOA. LOL

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    HOA’s are a choice. Stop comparing them to dictatorships and gov overreach.

You can choose to live under a HOA, or not. Nobody is forcing you, like they would under a dictatorship.

My wife and I bought a townhouse condo several years ago. There was a HOA for the community. We looked it over before we signed papers and decided we could live with it. It was a contract that I entered into willingly. I also decided to be involved, so that the HOA wasn’t overrun by Karen’s and I joined the HOA board.

I’m not a big fan of HOA’s, but I do see some benefit in certain settings. Probably when I buy my next house, I will look for something where the neighbors aren’t so close, and there isn’t a HOA. But again, that will be my choice. Nobody is forcing anyone to join a HOA.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Hey. Branch out. Go rural. You may never want to go back. Of course you won’t get to tell people what colors they can paint their homes. So that might be a drawback for some people.

You have had an extraordinary experience if you’ve never encountered a Karen on an HOA board. Like police jobs attract jackboot types, HOA’s attract Karens. I think your experience, assuming no biases that might prevent you from noticing, is not the norm, but the exception.
    A Karen can't just get on the board they have to be elected. During our neighborhoods last meeting we had candidates come up and tell a little about themselves and why they wanted to be on the board, there were two that talked a bit Karen-ish and they didn't get voted on, you can control who gets to be on there and it's not a lifetime appointment lol.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It appears you do not understand the contract that is an HOA. Agreement of how we will live is not telling anyone anything, it is an agreement as to how we will live. There is a difference.

The difference between my thinking and most of INGO is I believe this is an agreement and INGO believes someone is telling them what to do, even though they agreed to do it if they have an HOA. I also believe most of the negative comments do not even live in an HOA. LOL
    Once again. Can the board change that agreement? If the board does change that agreement is that not telling someone how to live?

It is an agreement, I'll agree. I'll disagree that if that agreement changes it remains an agreement. And you might be right on those disagreeing, I don't and haven't lived in an HOA. I do have friends and family that do and have heard from them. A person does not have to experience something to have an opinion or knowledge of said thing.

Here is something a family member experienced. When moving into the HOA, off street but street adjacent parking was allowed with no limits as long as there was a parking space that was not lawn ie gravel/asphalt/concrete/railroad ties(yes seriously his driveway was railroad ties, when it needed repaired I won't even go into the hoops required by the HOA). Later it was changed where street adjacent parking was allowed for residents vehicles with a HOA sticker, but required a permit for visitors during certain months, at the time each household could apply and pay for a number of yearly permits, then that was changed to weekly then daily permits. Then residents vehicles were required to have a permit, sticker or no. Not what was agreed to when moving in.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    At this point I am not replying anymore unless it is a new point we have not covered. I know CM wants is to not keep beating the dead horse threads, so I acquiesce to him. Yes, I surrendered my freedom to keep this up to keep in CM’s good graces… LOL

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Not that I am aware of in HOA in our area without member approval.
    What % is required? And is that of all members, or just members attending? If a member doesn't approve are they still bound by it? If so wouldn't that be changing the agreement without their consent, aka telling them how to live?

And wait, wouldn't that be a democracy? And aren't democracies bad? You know that whole tyranny of the majority thing.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Every HOA is different, but in most the board cannot randomly change the bylaws. In our HOA, any change to the bylaws must be announced and voted on by the members of the HOA. The board approves measures, legal documents, approves spending within the budget, etc.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom