• Status
    Not open for further replies.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    “butt” when you cause others issue with your actions in some fashion you are going outside the lines.
    My freedoms stop where yours start. Easy to twist this up and yes I get it’s but I would never do this to my neighbors.
    Just because you “CAN” does not mean it’s OK to **** up every one else.

this can be discussed in both sides of the fence. Kind of iffy.
    You're correct, to a point. However, with the example given, there is no real, honest way to justify another person or group of people having more freedom to pick the color of a neighbor's house than that neighbor does. IMO, freedom ends at the property line. Seeking to control a property that doesn't actually belong to you is hardly different than trespassing in my opinion. Forming a group of similar minded individuals and wrapping it in the trappings of an officialdom with an HOA doesn't lessen the trespass either. Also, while garish paint schemes, maintenance, etc. may be the reasons given for the formation of an HOA, it never ends there. There is always mission expansion as some members discover that they enjoy the control. "The issue is never the issue, the issue is always control."

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You're correct, to a point. However, with the example given, there is no real, honest way to justify another person or group of people having more freedom to pick the color of a neighbor's house than that neighbor does. IMO, freedom ends at the property line. Seeking to control a property that doesn't actually belong to you is hardly different than trespassing in my opinion. Forming a group of similar minded individuals and wrapping it in the trappings of an officialdom with an HOA doesn't lessen the trespass either. Also, while garish paint schemes, maintenance, etc. may be the reasons given for the formation of an HOA, it never ends there. There is always mission expansion as some members discover that they enjoy the control. "The issue is never the issue, the issue is always control."

Yep.

Like people complaining online about strange guys driving around the neighborhood taking pictures of houses. After some back and forth, it turns out its a HOA board member actively LOOKING for violations.

They arent content to sit and address concerns as they are brought up by neighbors. They have to seek out violators and flex their muscles.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I had a job in a run down part of Prestwick a few years ago, in Avon. I kid you not, I no sooner backed my dump trailer in this guys driveway and the HOA Karen showed up. Asking me if I planned to leave trailer overnight and what I was doing. I replied that I doubt it, I am building a deck, but then I asked who she was? She said she was the HOA President...imagine her shock when I then walked her to this guys back yard. I politely asked her where the HOA property started and the homeowners ended. She very quickly showed me where his new deck could not intrude and the property lines. I then asked her when they planned on having dead trees on HOA common property removed and start maintaining it? She asked what I meant? I then explained to her the homeowners' insurance company was requiring him to remove dead tree branches over his house, at a cost of $6000!

I told her he would be happy to know that it was an HOA maintenance issue and he can save $6000 since he now knows who owns the land. She was pissed. The homeowner ended up suing the HOA and forcing them to have the trees removed, and not just the few over his house......but all the dead trees that was dropping branches on his fence and property.

I just laughed....bet that nosey Karen wish she had minded her own business that day.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Everyone who is subject to an HOA who doesn't like the HOA should run for a position on the board. It should be your life mission to neuter the HOA as much as possible for as long as you live in that neighborhood. Be an anti-Karen.
    One should also know the covenants and bylaws backward and forward so as to flout and confound them at every turn while staying within the rules. Make holding the chains far more onerous than wearing them.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If you sign an HOA agreement then you agreed to be bound by it. But I do think HOA’s should be limited in what it can require.

I think the HOA I was a board member of specified in the covenants what changes could be made to bylaws that to add or remove bylaws without getting signatures from residents. So to change some bylaws the HOA had to get signatures of 75% of homes to agree. But there was no restrictions on what it could require as long as it wasn’t illegal.

I don’t think that requiring garage doors to be left open is a reasonable requirement and residents should have a cheap way to challenge that.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Everyone who is subject to an HOA who doesn't like the HOA should run for a position on the board. It should be your life mission to neuter the HOA as much as possible for as long as you live in that neighborhood.
    What most find when they get on the board is it is a thankless undertaking. They get the calls about those breaking the covenants from other property owners. They have to resolve disputes between homeowners. Most are not petty tyrants I have ever seen. That is why I said homeowners must get involved and keep the HOA what they want it to be.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Guys I know in the corporate world (and elsewhere) plan to relocate every 5-8 years. They buy a house knowing it's temporary and plan from the first day to get the best resale possible. An HOA is perfect for them.

For me personally it's out of the question. If you plan to live in your home long term the HOA may be fine when you buy but who knows what it will be in 10 years.

We bought a house in the country so there is no HOA but in fact there is no zoning either. I can do anything I want with my property but a factory or land fill could move in next door. I like it that way.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    In compliance with the thread title I tell @Ingomike HOAs are very awful. Many examples given in this thread.

I say again, HOAs are horrible.
    Compared to the millions of HOA’s in this country the number of articles and first hand accounts is very low. If HOA’s were that big of an issue to folks Rafael Sanchez and his ilk would be all over it every day.

As bug said, INGO doesn’t like to be told they can’t do something. LOL. I guess I don’t either but I try to temper that with the trade offs of the agreement as to how we will live. I have told the story before of my friends that had a house in the eastern burbs of Indy in a neighborhood that did not have covenants, the guy behind them paved the entire yard, ran a 24 hour wrecker service, ran diesel trucks all night, within 10 feet of my friends bedroom windows.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What most find when they get on the board is it is a thankless undertaking. They get the calls about those breaking the covenants from other property owners. They have to resolve disputes between homeowners. Most are not petty tyrants I have ever seen. That is why I said homeowners must get involved and keep the HOA what they want it to be.
    So 51% Karens?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I had a job in a run down part of Prestwick a few years ago, in Avon. I kid you not, I no sooner backed my dump trailer in this guys driveway and the HOA Karen showed up. Asking me if I planned to leave trailer overnight and what I was doing. I replied that I doubt it, I am building a deck, but then I asked who she was? She said she was the HOA President...imagine her shock when I then walked her to this guys back yard. I politely asked her where the HOA property started and the homeowners ended. She very quickly showed me where his new deck could not intrude and the property lines. I then asked her when they planned on having dead trees on HOA common property removed and start maintaining it? She asked what I meant? I then explained to her the homeowners' insurance company was requiring him to remove dead tree branches over his house, at a cost of $6000!

I told her he would be happy to know that it was an HOA maintenance issue and he can save $6000 since he now knows who owns the land. She was pissed. The homeowner ended up suing the HOA and forcing them to have the trees removed, and not just the few over his house......but all the dead trees that was dropping branches on his fence and property.

I just laughed....bet that nosey Karen wish she had minded her own business that day.
    You know there are reasons for the covenants and the questions, the same people complaining about the trees that need cut are usually the one that are late paying or don’t pay their fees.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If you sign an HOA agreement then you agreed to be bound by it. But I do think HOA’s should be limited in what it can require.
    Ultimately signing the deed is signing the HOA agreement.

The seller should provide the all HOA documentation.

The title search should indicate if there are any recorded covenants.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    One should also know the covenants and bylaws backward and forward so as to flout and confound them at every turn while staying within the rules. Make holding the chains far more onerous than wearing them.
    This is very true, when we moved in years ago we were told a lot of dont's by the builders rep on the property (no work trucks, no parking on the street, no hot tubs among a few things). As people moved in they were all told the same thing and it became accepted. We find out years later as the residents recently took ownership of the HOA that many things we were told really weren't in the covenants but just what the builder wanted to promote.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is very true, when we moved in years ago we were told a lot of dont's by the builders rep on the property (no work trucks, no parking on the street, no hot tubs among a few things). As people moved in they were all told the same thing and it became accepted. We find out years later as the residents recently took ownership of the HOA that many things we were told really weren't in the covenants but just what the builder wanted to promote.
    They do that a lot. They print up HOA rules that are not actually in the covenants. Seen neighborhoods live years and years following the printed rules that were not actually covenants because of that printed list of rules. LOL

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom