• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I think that's a false equivalence. I do think people have bought into the whole, "I'll abolish the IRS", and everyone knows he won't/can't do that. But in that sense he's like every politician who's ever run for office. They've all promised things they know their base wants that they know they can't deliver.

Trump is orders of magnitude beyond that. Cruz has never said that he could shoot someone in the middle of the street and not lose any voters. That's because it wouldn't be true. But Trumpers were actually proud to stand up and agree with Trump! That's just not normal candidate support. That's way beyond. I have voted in every general election since Reagan and I've never seen anything like the "fierce loyalty" that Trump gets.

So you can say Cruz also has some unreasoned support. But it's not cultlike in the same sense as Trump supporters.

I'm guessing that you don't spend much time among hard-core evangelical Christians? The cult-like following of Cruz has nothing to do with abolishing the IRS, and more to do with his shades-of-theocracy persona. He panders to that crowd with his Tent Preacher shtick, and some are eating it up, in very cult-like fashion.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I guess what I'd really like to know from you Trump supporters, will you stand up and complain at Trump when he goes against what he promised you, or will you go along with it to avoid the dissonance of buyer's remorse? I've seen people who've been very conservative in their comments shift along with Trump. That just scares the **** out of me.

Some people don't want to ever admit they were wrong. That's what's going on.

They roll with the flow, and change their views/beliefs along with the leader.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I guess what I'd really like to know from you Trump supporters, will you stand up and complain at Trump when he goes against what he promised you, or will you go along with it to avoid the dissonance of buyer's remorse?

Yes, I would complain. But I'm also realistic. The wall is the promise, but I'd bet the reality is simply an increase in enforcement action and deportation. The wall may or may not get built, but the fact that Trump has brought the issue to the forefront increases my hope in positive steps on immigration policy. No candidate delivers 100% on their campaign promises. Ever. But there will be no buyer's remorse, because the only other car on the lot is the 2016 Hillarymobile, and I sure as hell ain't buying that one.

(Don't try to sell me the Cruz DeVille. The engine appears to be shot in that one.) :):

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I guess what I'd really like to know from you Trump supporters, will you stand up and complain at Trump when he goes against what he promised you, or will you go along with it to avoid the dissonance of buyer's remorse? I've seen people who've been very conservative in their comments shift along with Trump. That just scares the **** out of me.

I will be the first to call him a ****ing cork sucker if he pisses me off.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I will be the first to call him a ****ing cork sucker if he pisses me off.

BTW, Carly is coming to the rescue of Teddy later today!

carly_fiorina_for_america_3_inch_round_button-r60f3fba8114d4245bb5e1ee79d1fe79e_x7j1f_8byvr_324.jpg

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    We're talking about the attitude/behavior/response of the supporters, not of the candidates themselves.

I understood your post. I see political supports of Cruz, some of Trump, but others with a religious zealotry. They will believe anything to damn Cruz yet nothing to denounce Trump. I'm not that bought in to any human. No matter how much some would like to beat that drum he will not be the god-emperor. If elected he could die of a heart attack during the swearing in.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    My first thought was of McCain and Palin. WTF have the Republicans been smoking?

I dont think shes a bad choice. For me, the timing is a bit goofy. At this point I am beginning to believe Trump very well may get to 1237 so I dont believe the pick matters at all.

Trump will need a strong VP pick to go up against the Clinton/Warren ticket.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I dont think shes a bad choice. For me, the timing is a bit goofy. At this point I am beginning to believe Trump very well may get to 1237 so I dont believe the pick matters at all.

I thought Bernie was going to pick fauxahontis

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

What does Fiorina bring to the table? Does Cruz think that she could actually pull in some CA delegates for him? Is he really that desperate, or does he honestly think that she adds to his hypothetical ticket?

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    Carly is an articulate voice for common sense and conservative ideas. And she is a feirce critic of the Hildebeast. She will score points as a critic of the past seven years, especially of Hillary as Sect. of State.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Carly is an articulate voice for common sense and conservative ideas. And she is a feirce critic of the Hildebeast. She will score points as a critic of the past seven years, especially of Hillary as Sect. of State.
    Carly would make a great surrogate. Not such a great candidate. Too much baggage.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    A skeptical person would weigh those positions against what they were before he ran for President.

A gullible person would buy them at face value from the salesman.

We should not get in the habit of linking a candidate's website as truthful information from a candidate. It's a marketplace to sell words to people.

Something something mote in Trump supporter's eye something something in thine own eye. Thou something ...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I understood your post. I see political supports of Cruz, some of Trump, but others with a religious zealotry. They will believe anything to damn Cruz yet nothing to denounce Trump. I'm not that bought in to any human. No matter how much some would like to beat that drum he will not be the god-emperor. If elected he could die of a heart attack during the swearing in.

Perhaps if the anti-Trump camp spent a little less time denigrating the Trump camp for failing to recognize that they, the opposition, know what's best for everyone in all cases; perhaps it would have been more effective. Use that purported sense of honesty and rationality and think back to who first lowered the level of discourse with Trumpers, Trumpkins etc etc. How's that Ad Hom thing working for you?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Something something mote in Trump supporter's eye something something in thine own eye. Thou something ...

That's not an argument. Do you really believe that shtick works?

1) how does asserting hypocrisy in any way refute the statements ? By invoking that defense aren't you tacitly admitting that you haven't skeptically investigated trump's current positions against his previous positions? That you gullibly bought them at face value from a salesman? But then that's okay because Cruz people do it too?

2) He wasn't even being hypocritical. He made some criticisms that a reasonable person should make. You can't expect to get out of it everytime someone gives valid criticism of Trump by saying Cruz people do it too. That's an excuse, not an argument. Certainly the same thing should apply to Cruz fans. But G isn't a cruz fan either. Him not accusing the Cruz side of the same thing isn't hypocricy.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Perhaps if the anti-Trump camp spent a little less time denigrating the Trump camp for failing to recognize that they, the opposition, know what's best for everyone in all cases; perhaps it would have been more effective. Use that purported sense of honesty and rationality and think back to who first lowered the level of discourse with Trumpers, Trumpkins etc etc. How's that Ad Hom thing working for you?
    Yes. I started using the term "Trumper" as a contraction of "Trump supporter". I have to admit that after the first time using it, I did feel a certain satisfaction. It seemed fitting after seeing legitimate criticism after legitimate criticism get denied, ignored, marginalized by Trump supporters.

Top Bottom