• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    And I think that says something good about you as a person, that you can appreciate and respect a place that is different.

Frankly, it would be great if everyone could respect and appreciate everyone else. "So you're different from me and have different viewpoints...that just makes it awesome."

But I'm saying that not everyone is like that. Donald Trump, like a lot of New Yorkers, has no respect for Indiana or the people who live here.

"How stupid are the people of Iowa!" declared Trump.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/po...ting-carson/o3RJKigUQyqzjU9U8skVuO/story.html

Guess what? He thinks you're stupid too. And don't think he doesn't think that of any Hoosier who disagrees with him.

My point: Trump is first and foremost a New Yorker. He will support policies (like the gas tax) that take advantage of Indiana to subsidize New York...because he doesn't respect us or think we're important.

How does that make him better than Cruz? Ted openly bashed New York. Does that make him first and foremost a Texan who doesn't care about the rest of the country? By your logic Cruz is just as guilty. Being from NY myself, I was a bit offended.

Webster-dl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    How does that make him better than Cruz? Ted openly bashed New York. Does that make him first and foremost a Texan who doesn't care about the rest of the country? By your logic Cruz is just as guilty. Being from NY myself, I was a bit offended.

I hear you. But the issue is that the way NYC does things...using the government to bully people, allowing the "special people" to have special privileges (aka corruption) including being above the law...and being OK WITH IT...that is not how the rest of America sees things.

But it is how Donald sees things.

Webster-dl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    As someone who espouses christian values is it not a pretty unchristian thing to judge an entire state full of people you have never met before based just off a stereotype? I have been to New York and I have to say the people there were very nice especially to someone such as myself from a "Hick Fly Over State".

I personally could care about the pandering Cruz has done towards the evangelicals they are not my concern and are slowly getting pushed out of the party. If you want talk real issues I am more than happy to do so but this "Trump is from New York as president he will only have their best interests in mind" thing is purely conjecture and if it had any substance it would have been brought to light at a national level.

Why do you presume I "espouse Christian values", and what does that mean, in the context you were using it?

I haven't visited New York...I have LIVED there. I have spent a significant part of my adult life there. I have family from there. And I am happy to call some New Yorkers friends...

It doesn't change the reality of how a lot of New Yorkers...including Donald...see us.

There are "stereotypes", and then there are observations based on empiric evidence...even if it's anecdotal as mine is.

Webster-dl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    But here's the deal, and I think you hit on it well, Mr. Crail.

You say he won't use government to take advantage of Indiana for New York's benefit and won't govern as a "New York First" New Yorker. I say he likely will.

We don't really know who is right, do we? There is no real track record (not that Trump wants to admit to) of any real significance about WHAT he would do. He hasn't put his money where his mouth is on a lot of issues...so we just don't know.

I would say: it is unreasonable to dismiss what I say just because you might find it uncomfortable. I might be right. I think I am.

If you can find the good data...use that to guide you. Until then, you have your optimistic viewpoint on Donald's character. I see something entirely different, and I am just trying to warn you what I see.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I hear you. But the issue is that the way NYC does things...using the government to bully people, allowing the "special people" to have special privileges (aka corruption) including being above the law...and being OK WITH IT...that is not how the rest of America sees things.

But it is how Donald sees things.

What's your proof?

Webster-dl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    What's your proof?

When you live there, you see it in everything they do. From the way your job is run, to the way EVERYONE'S job is run, to the way the state is run.

Here's an article: Congratulations, New York, You?re #1 in Corruption - POLITICO Magazine

From my personal experience: New York State government once threatened to arrest me...because I didn't fill out a survey. They use the government and threat of prosecution to bully people for even the smallest issues.

But if you have some connection? You are immune from the laws. New Yorkers see laws as only for "the other people"...the people that don't have a connection.

A simple one I saw every day...everyone feels a need to have a connection to a police officer...then you carry around a card they give you. If you are stopped for anything, you show the card and the cop lets you go. And so...because you have that card, the laws don't apply to you. It's not just that this happens occasionally, or is rare. It is an ACCEPTED way of doing things in New York. It is ingrained into how they see the world. The laws only apply to those who don't have a way to get out of following them...the "better" people.

And Trump is clearly a product of this culture. Look at his business practices. He regularly used his money to buy influence and to circumvent the law and abuse people. Look at how often he sues or threatens to sue someone...like every other day. And he thinks there is nothing wrong with buying his way out of following the law...because laws are for "other people".

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    When you live there, you see it in everything they do. From the way your job is run, to the way EVERYONE'S job is run, to the way the state is run.

Here's an article: Congratulations, New York, You?re #1 in Corruption - POLITICO Magazine

From my personal experience: New York State government once threatened to arrest me...because I didn't fill out a survey. They use the government and threat of prosecution to bully people for even the smallest issues.

But if you have some connection? You are immune from the laws. New Yorkers see laws as only for "the other people"...the people that don't have a connection.

A simple one I saw every day...everyone feels a need to have a connection to a police officer...then you carry around a card they give you. If you are stopped for anything, you show the card and the cop lets you go. And so...because you have that card, the laws don't apply to you. It's not just that this happens occasionally, or is rare. It is an ACCEPTED way of doing things in New York. It is ingrained into how they see the world. The laws only apply to those who don't have a way to get out of following them...the "better" people.

And Trump is clearly a product of this culture. Look at his business practices. He regularly used his money to buy influence and to circumvent the law and abuse people. Look at how often he sues or threatens to sue someone...like every other day. And he thinks there is nothing wrong with buying his way out of following the law...because laws are for "other people".

You're talking about PBA cards. And so what? I don't see a problem with them. You do realize it only works for minor traffic violations, right?

I really don't get what you're trying to say, them thinking they are above the law, and I've lived there. Trump is a private citizen and never held office in NY state. So really there is no connection to be made. Never in my 20+ years of living in the area have I come across people like that, aside from probable gang members walking down the street.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Your brilliant repartee leaves me speechless.

You obviously think you win bigly.

Another one for the ignore file...

When your post is completely in conflict with all facts and reality, that's the best response you can expect.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions

As for guns, he's the ONLY candidate in the race who has specifically addressed the 1934 NFA as rights suppression. And you honestly think someone who sees the NFA as rights suppression wants to take away your guns?

Last edited:

Webster-dl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    You're talking about PBA cards. And so what? I don't see a problem with them. You do realize it only works for minor traffic violations, right?

I really don't get what you're trying to say, them thinking they are above the law, and I've lived there. Trump is a private citizen and never held office in NY state. So really there is no connection to be made. Never in my 20+ years of living in the area have I come across people like that, aside from probable gang members walking down the street.

PBA cards...that's what they're called? ok.

I am surprised you don't see the problem. Laws are laws and who you know has nothing to do with whether you are guilty and should pay a fine or go to jail. It is just another part of the "special laws for special people". I think many people see the problem with that.

It's like a certain senator from california thinking that we don't have a right to carry concealed, but of course when she felt threatened it was entirely ok for HER to do it.

It may be that you won't understand my point...you may see nothing wrong with this, that some people have the laws applied to them a certain way, and others don't have to worry about the laws at all.

Here is how Donald sees it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...cb287e-5660-11e5-b8c9-944725fcd3b9_story.html

Atlantic City Condemnation - Vera Coking - Institute for Justice

He can't get what he wants? He uses the government to bully people out of their rights. Typical New Yorker.

Did Donald Trump?s foundation break the law with a shady contribution to the Florida attorney general? - Salon.com

he gets into trouble. He buys his way out...or tries to.

Inside Donald Trump's Empire: Why He Didn't Run for President in 2012 - The Daily Beast

Donald Trump breaks the law and associates with criminals...but it's ok, because the laws are for other people. He has money to buy his way out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...75b918-60a3-11e5-b38e-06883aacba64_story.html
    Officials with the New York State Organized Crime Task Force later said that Trump, while not breaking any laws, “circumvented” state limits on individual and corporate contributions “by spreading his payments among eighteen subsidiary companies.”

Trump doesn't think that the laws apply to him...only to other people. Like military men who "if I tell them to do it, they will do it" and women who have had abortions.

We may be at a fundamental impasse and may have to agree to disagree. I believe the law applies evenly to everyone, and no one should get a pass just because they are rich or connected. Many New Yorkers think that this is a perfectly normal system, that the rich and/or well connected don't have to follow the laws that are for "other people".

We may see things differently. That's cool. We can agree to disagree. Thanks for the discussion, I do appreciate it.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yes. He has bigly momentum.

Seriously..."momentum"? Means less than you think.

That's why you keep saying "mathematical impossibility"...when the reality is that this is very likely to be determined by Contested Convention. Your "mathematical impossibility" is just a pathetic attempt to deceive the voter by preying on their ignorance of election rules.

It's bigly dishonest...like your bigly leader's very good brain.

Now that's good to know!

Cruz: Wins for Rubio, Kasich 'mathematically impossible'
    By KATIE GLUECK 03/14/16 06:39 PM EDT

PEORIA, Ill.— Ted Cruz on Monday urged voters not to back John Kasich or Marco Rubio, saying only he could do what they couldn't: beat Donald Trump.
    “If you’re here today, or at home watching on TV thinking about supporting Marco Rubio or John Kasich, I say to you, they are good men but they do not have a path for winning,” the Texas senator said here at a rally at a civic center. “It’s mathematically impossible for them to win, so I say, ‘Come and join us, we welcome you with open arms.’”

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Now that's good to know!

Cruz: Wins for Rubio, Kasich 'mathematically impossible'
    By KATIE GLUECK 03/14/16 06:39 PM EDT

PEORIA, Ill.— Ted Cruz on Monday urged voters not to back John Kasich or Marco Rubio, saying only he could do what they couldn't: beat Donald Trump.
    “If you’re here today, or at home watching on TV thinking about supporting Marco Rubio or John Kasich, I say to you, they are good men but they do not have a path for winning,” the Texas senator said here at a rally at a civic center. “It’s mathematically impossible for them to win, so I say, ‘Come and join us, we welcome you with open arms.’”

But you see, Cruz is a TrueConservative®™ so that's okay.

And he's TrusTED®™. Nevermind that he was busTED because he cheaTED.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    So Every time I start thinking about having to vote for Trump, and trying to find some potential positives to make the prospect a little more palatable, you guys go and ruin it. For example:

Me: "We can't take you seriously." [You can't admit the truth when what you believe is demonstrably false. You rationalize and deny.]

Trumpers: " So what, we outnumber you!"

Really? WTF?

It's like a cult following. Seriously.

That was a swarmy reply to a person apparently self absorbed in an illusion of grandeur... you think anyone cares, or should care, if you take a group seriously? People like candidates for a variety of reasons. Some of those reasons make sense to most others, some do not. (see Clinton support, example in this thread: a supposed conservative willing to vote for Clinton over Trump? Hmm.)I don't like a large amount of what I see from Trump. I personally view him as a lesser evil, and a huge middle finger to the establishment. Many of you do not have a problem with business as usual and are content with how things have been for generations. Great. Support your guy and carry on. But the detractors through all of these thread have said the same tired crap without once acknowledging the same tired crap could be said for their chosen one.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I have not seen that. The only thing I'm giving a pass on is the constitution. I don't want a preacher for president, but the constitution is a shield he carries that would allow me to ignore whatever other message he has that I'm not interested in. I like that he has defended constitutional principles before the SC.

I like his consistency, in that he did what he told his constituents he was going to do. I like his 5 for Freedom plan to shut down the IRS, Dept's of Ed, Energy, Commerce & HUD. If he is consistent in keeping his word that's all I want.

On the other hand, I only count on the Donald to say s##t and do what he wants, as long as it's a deal he doesn't seem to care. When this election 'deal' is done he'll be as consistent as he feels like it that day.

Uhh yeah, before you condemn the Dept of Energy you might want to look into what it is they actually do and where their responsibilities lay. Bill Clinton made the epic blunder of appointing a Sec. of DOE that had no clue of their responsibilities, this isn't a group altering the angle of solar panels and hoisting windmills skyward.

The other agencies I'm sure hold some level of importance as well, but none are as striking as the DoE.

Top Bottom