• ...and so much more!
  • gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    It was keyholing about 3 rounds from every mag. Started at about 450 rounds...

After reading this I wanted to see want my TX-22 with a rough barrel would do. I recently took it to the range, used Remington Thunderbolts to give it a good chance to lead up (and to get rid of them) and fired in the neighborhood of 150 rounds.

Put a bore scope in it tonight and took a few photos. These proceed in order from the middle of the barrel to just inside the muzzle.

OVA5xKg.jpg

AqGN2F3.jpg

2UgBSgr.jpg

You can see the rifling in the first photo and then it goes away. I do believe it's leading up.

I'll take it back out without cleaning and shoot it on paper to see if or when it keyholes.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Pretty much what I experienced with the original barrel in mine. The replacement barrel is not pristine, but it is far better and so far through several hundred rounds there's been no leading at all.

Taurus did not argue about the barrel. They simply signed me up for a replacement and when one became available it showed up in the mailbox.

I really enjoy the TX22, but I do believe Taurus did not do themselves any favors with the barrel issues or the sights. Just simply better control on supplier of the barrels, and probably no more than a few cents more on the rear sight and the firearm would have been much better received.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I ran 400rds through mine iirc on the same day I got it. Didn't have any problems. If the ammo shortage wasn't on I'd probably go out and run a brick through it to see if anything changes. Not right now though. I have grandchildren that can use that much in one range session. Got to save it for them :ar15:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Here are some pics of my TX22 barrels.

Original barrel after 500 rounds, mixed ammo, barrel cleaned:

Bad Barrel 01.jpg Bad Barrel 02.jpg

I don't think those concentric lines should be there, but the new barrel also has them.

New Barrel before any ammo shot thru it:

New Barrel Chamber 01.jpg New Barrel B4 Shooting 01.jpg New Barrel 02.jpg

You can see the poor machining, and this is the replacement that they sent me.

New barrel after 200 rounds of 40 grain LRN, barrel dirty:

New Barrel After 200 Rds 01.jpg

After 200 rounds the barrel is leaded in places so that you can't even see the lands.

In addition to the machining on the new barrel you can see in the pics, the chamber bore is not concentric with the barrel bore. I couldn't get a good pic of that, but you can see it when you look in the barrel from the chamber end. Despite that the new barrel is still shooting with no keyholing rounds after about 580 rounds through it. I have had zero malfunctions with the new barrel.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Mine has the rings as well although it might be worse overall than your original. I don't know what they are doing to get the rings machined in. Can't say I've ever seen that in another barrel although My Ruger MKIV has 3 rings in it that don't seem to catch lead. It's very accurate.

I'll attempt to get a replacement barrel and then see if I can find ammo that doesn't lead it up.

What ammo did you use in the new barrel? Did you have to return the original barrel to Taurus?

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Mine has the rings as well although it might be worse overall than your original. I don't know what they are doing to get the rings machined in. Can't say I've ever seen that in another barrel although My Ruger MKIV has 3 rings in it that don't seem to catch lead. It's very accurate.

I'll attempt to get a replacement barrel and then see if I can find ammo that doesn't lead it up.

What ammo did you use in the new barrel? Did you have to return the original barrel to Taurus?

That 200 rounds was CCI Blazer. I did not have to send the original barrel back.

I shot 100 rounds of CCI Clean last night, I'll get some pics later and post them.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Here are some pics of the new barrel after 100 rounds of CCI Clean.

usbcamera20200724231213.jpg

usbcamera20200724231202.jpg

usbcamera20200724231158.jpg

And the barrel after cleaning, complete with concentric marks.

usbcamera20200724231052.jpg

Are those poor machining or defects?

It leaded up less with the CCI Clean and was much easier to clean than after shooting LRN ammo.

Taurus got everything except the barrel right on this gun. I really like shooting it and it is the perfect size and configuration to use as a trainer for larger caliber semi-autos.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I went ahead and called Taurus today and have a backordered replacement barrel coming. Hopefully it will be better than the original but marvin02's experience doesn't promote high expectations.

As previously stated, a simply phone call with a complaint of excessive leading is all it takes. Their callback feature worked very well instead of being stuck on hold.

Since they are handing out replacement barrels so freely it is obviously a known and common problem. Seems like spending a few more cents or even dollars on machining the barrels correctly would make economic sense.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I received the replacement TX22 barrel today. Seems slightly better than the original except for a 1/4" section in the middle.

I simply don't understand why Taurus doesn't improve the machining of the rifling. It couldn't cost much per barrel and I can't see it effecting sales if a couple of dollars were added to the price. It would certainly improve word of mouth advertising.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I received the replacement TX22 barrel today. Seems slightly better than the original except for a 1/4" section in the middle.

I simply don't understand why Taurus doesn't improve the machining of the rifling. It couldn't cost much per barrel and I can't see it effecting sales if a couple of dollars were added to the price. It would certainly improve word of mouth advertising.

Interested to see a report after shooting it. Good to hear they are at least cooperative on the customer service side, too bad the barrels aren't better.

Top Bottom