• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    While I enjoy the TX-22, I don't know about buying any gun from Taurus that I would trust with my life. My carry gun is a tried and true CZ, from a company that has supplied military and police forces with solid, reliable guns for decades. With Taurus being so hit and miss with their quality, even if they did bring out a 9mm that had all the qualities of the TX-22, I'm not sure I would trust it. The reason the TX-22 was an easy purchase decision for me was that it was to be used for training new shooters. For that purpose I think it will be fantastic. That and it's fun enough to shoot to just be a nice plinker in my stable.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    It is not a good pistol.

I put over 1000rds through one no problems. I bought it cleaned and lubed it. Then I shot over 1,000 rds through it of Wolf steel, Winchester white box, Hornady XTP 124gr HP, my reloaded 95gr LRN, my 124gr RMR HP +p reloads. Not one failure or problem. It took me 2 days to test it. I cleaned it up, and I gave it to my sister. She loves it. I bought another one did 1,200rd through it same conditions over a month. My buddy liked it and I gave it to him. Now I'm waiting on reports of the G3c. If they are gtg I'm going to get one of those and test it as well.

Both G2c I had did not have failures or other problems.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Taurus G2c check it out.

I put over 1000rds through one no problems. I bought it cleaned and lubed it. Then I shot over 1,000 rds through it of Wolf steel, Winchester white box, Hornady XTP 124gr HP, my reloaded 95gr LRN, my 124gr RMR HP +p reloads. Not one failure or problem. It took me 2 days to test it. I cleaned it up, and I gave it to my sister. She loves it. I bought another one did 1,200rd through it same conditions over a month. My buddy liked it and I gave it to him. Now I'm waiting on reports of the G3c. If they are gtg I'm going to get one of those and test it as well.

Both G2c I had did not have failures or other problems.

I carried one as my first carry pistol. I loved it for about 6 months. Then the rear sight just fell off while carrying. Sorted the sight then I started having major trigger issues. Failed to reset at least once a mag. Then the trigger froze completely. Sent it in and it wouldn't lock open, sent it in again and immediately traded it. All in I maybe had over 1000 rounds and 7 months of carry before it was just too unreliable to carry or even shoot. I'm not a rare case with the G2c, it's an extremely well documented unreliable pistol when put to any kind of stress test. It's not a good pistol in the slightest

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I carried one as my first carry pistol. I loved it for about 6 months. Then the rear sight just fell off while carrying. Sorted the sight then I started having major trigger issues. Failed to reset at least once a mag. Then the trigger froze completely. Sent it in and it wouldn't lock open, sent it in again and immediately traded it. All in I maybe had over 1000 rounds and 7 months of carry before it was just too unreliable to carry or even shoot. I'm not a rare case with the G2c, it's an extremely well documented unreliable pistol when put to any kind of stress test. It's not a good pistol in the slightest

I had a Glock 22 that had none stop failure to feed with 6 different brands and bullet types. I took it to my gunsmith he called Glock and they sent him a new barrel free of charge and that fixed the issue. He charged me $10 total. I sold it because I no longer trusted it and it was years before I bought another Glock. That said even Glock makes lemons.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Taurus G2c check it out.

I had a Glock 22 that had none stop failure to feed with 6 different brands and bullet types. I took it to my gunsmith he called Glock and they sent him a new barrel free of charge and that fixed the issue. He charged me $10 total. I sold it because I no longer trusted it and it was years before I bought another Glock. That said even Glock makes lemons.

If it were a lemon I would understand. It really wasn't though. Once I started searching for fixes it opened my eyes to hundreds of threads having similar issues. My lgs told me the two most returned handguns he gets are kimber and the G2c, he no longer sells or trades g2's because of the issues. He was telling me that about a quarter of them were coming back for different issues. The trigger failing was the last straw for me.

Glock 22s probably outnumber g2c's 30 to 1 with all the duty pistols floating around. I've literally ran thousands through a Leo trade in that I built into a poor man's major pf limited pistol. Problems I've had with it almost always traced to ammo or my tinkering.

It's not snobbery, I love what taurus does right. I just know first hand a g2 would never last through a weekend of uspsa and it doesn't last without excessive maintenance as a carry gun. I really liked it for a while.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If it were a lemon I would understand. It really wasn't though. Once I started searching for fixes it opened my eyes to hundreds of threads having similar issues. My lgs told me the two most returned handguns he gets are kimber and the G2c, he no longer sells or trades g2's because of the issues. He was telling me that about a quarter of them were coming back for different issues. The trigger failing was the last straw for me.

Glock 22s probably outnumber g2c's 30 to 1 with all the duty pistols floating around. I've literally ran thousands through a Leo trade in that I built into a poor man's major pf limited pistol. Problems I've had with it almost always traced to ammo or my tinkering.

It's not snobbery, I love what taurus does right. I just know first hand a g2 would never last through a weekend of uspsa and it doesn't last without excessive maintenance as a carry gun. I really liked it for a while.

That would be an interesting test. Someone should start using these inexpensive handguns at uspsa events and report how each did. That would be some interesting reading if they find a few that actually last.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Well, you all cost me $300. US Defense Solutions got one in and I drove up today to get it.

First impressions: This thing fits my hand really well. It feels a little cheap, but not outside what I would expect from a gun at that price point, and certainly not any kind of deal-breaker for me.

Starting out with Remington Thunderbolts (the crappiest ammo I have) and I ran two magazines through it between work meetings and I have to say I am extremely impressed. The trigger pull initially was long but only a little creepy, and after the two magazines it's already smoothed way out. Accuracy even using crap ammo was decent, within what I am used to with my target .22s. What I like about it is I think it will be a decent trainer to introduce new shooters being a form factor that many of the modern semis use. I'll put a few hundred rounds through it over the next few days and report back any issues, but thanks for turning me on to it folks.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Glad you’re enjoying it. We didn’t cost you 300, we possibly saved you from getting a g44 which is about 200 more than it’s worth!

I agree the tx22 is on par accuracy wise with run of the mill target pistols

Well, you all cost me $300. US Defense Solutions got one in and I drove up today to get it.

First impressions: This thing fits my hand really well. It feels a little cheap, but not outside what I would expect from a gun at that price point, and certainly not any kind of deal-breaker for me.

Starting out with Remington Thunderbolts (the crappiest ammo I have) and I ran two magazines through it between work meetings and I have to say I am extremely impressed. The trigger pull initially was long but only a little creepy, and after the two magazines it's already smoothed way out. Accuracy even using crap ammo was decent, within what I am used to with my target .22s. What I like about it is I think it will be a decent trainer to introduce new shooters being a form factor that many of the modern semis use. I'll put a few hundred rounds through it over the next few days and report back any issues, but thanks for turning me on to it folks.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yep, nice little gun. Like you I want to run a bunch of ammo through it to test reliability, but will use it for the same purpose, training new gun owners. Since 9mm is getting rare and expensive, I'll probably be taking a lot more .22 to the range soon anyway.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Glad you’re enjoying it. We didn’t cost you 300, we possibly saved you from getting a g44 which is about 200 more than it’s worth!

I agree the tx22 is on par accuracy wise with run of the mill target pistols

Nah on the G44. I love my Glocks, owning about twenty of them in 10mm and .45, but I've been a bit of a snob on .22s. I got one of the GSG 1911s and it just felt cheap, and when I sold it to an Ingo member here one of the parts snapped off almost immediately after I handed it to him (I bought replacements for it). I've shot several of the other compact .22s and none really felt right, or had too many issues. The G44 was intriguing for about 5 minutes but quickly hit my "pass" filter. I have high hopes for the TX22. I own several BuckMarks, from factory to custom, and they are kind of my metric, but I always feel a little funny introducing a new shooter with them then handing them something with a different form factor when they are trying to decide whether to buy a gun.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I received my replacement barrel today. It took about 3 weeks to get it after calling Taurus CS. I plan to take the TX-22 to the range and put a couple hundred rounds through it tomorrow. Hopefully this barrel is ok.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I received my replacement barrel today. It took about 3 weeks to get it after calling Taurus CS. I plan to take the TX-22 to the range and put a couple hundred rounds through it tomorrow. Hopefully this barrel is ok.

Just curious, but what were the symptoms on the bad barrel? Inaccurate, etc?

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Just curious, but what were the symptoms on the bad barrel? Inaccurate, etc?

It was keyholing about 3 rounds from every mag. Started at about 450 rounds.

The gun was shooting so well I thought I might try it in steel challenge match. So I was deliberately running 200 rounds through it between cleanings. Near the end of the 200 round test I was losing accuracy and some rounds were keyholing. The barrel was leaded up very badly. I cleaned it thoroughly and tried shooting it again. Even with the clean barrel I was getting rounds keyholing.

At the start of the second 100 of the 200 round run (2 separate range visits) I put 15 out of 16 rounds from the first mag in a 3 inch target at 10 yards. By the last mag, which put the gun right at 450 rounds, I had no idea where it would hit. After cleaning the leaded barrel the accuracy was a bit better but I shot 3 mags and had flyers and rounds keyholing.

I was shooting 40 grain LRN ammo, don't recall which brand. Probably CCI Blazers. Last 3 mags, after cleaning were CCI Clean.

Talked to Taurus CS. Took less than 15 minutes for them to agree to send a new barrel. Shooting it later today.

I knew there were barrel problems with some of these but hoped that I had waited long enough that they had then sorted out.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It was keyholing about 3 rounds from every mag. Started at about 450 rounds.

The gun was shooting so well I thought I might try it in steel challenge match. So I was deliberately running 200 rounds through it between cleanings. Near the end of the 200 round test I was losing accuracy and some rounds were keyholing. The barrel was leaded up very badly. I cleaned it thoroughly and tried shooting it again. Even with the clean barrel I was getting rounds keyholing.

At the start of the second 100 of the 200 round run (2 separate range visits) I put 15 out of 16 rounds from the first mag in a 3 inch target at 10 yards. By the last mag, which put the gun right at 450 rounds, I had no idea where it would hit. After cleaning the leaded barrel the accuracy was a bit better but I shot 3 mags and had flyers and rounds keyholing.

I was shooting 40 grain LRN ammo, don't recall which brand. Probably CCI Blazers. Last 3 mags, after cleaning were CCI Clean.

Talked to Taurus CS. Took less than 15 minutes for them to agree to send a new barrel. Shooting it later today.

I knew there were barrel problems with some of these but hoped that I had waited long enough that they had then sorted out.

Interesting, thanks for the info. Be interested to hear your results with the new barrel. Strange that it would start keyholing after being leaded up, but not be rectified with a good cleaning.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    So the next obvious question, what holsters are folks using. I'm not carrying this for defense per se (maybe out in the woods during squirrel season), but nice to have something to have it secured to my person when necessary.

ETA: Sorry if this was discussed upthread, I don't recall it.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I will have to look to see what brand but i have a couple kydex that are actually for sig 320 that fit really well
    So the next obvious question, what holsters are folks using. I'm not carrying this for defense per se (maybe out in the woods during squirrel season), but nice to have something to have it secured to my person when necessary.

ETA: Sorry if this was discussed upthread, I don't recall it.

Top Bottom