• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    My PT140 is a good gun. No problems except occassional mag drop from hitting the release.

Thing is I cant hit anything I aim at. My Nagant 7.62 revolver is extremely accurate as well as my Taurus 6" .357 revolver. But I cant hit dudely with the auto. I am going to sell or trade for another revolver. Havent decided which one yet. It will replace the PT140 as my carrier weapon.

Side note: Shot my MN 91/30 for the first time this past weekend. What a wicked and accurate rifle. The thing is sweet. Man those Russians must of been bad mf/s. The recoil and the steel buttplate are brutal. Had to use a pillow on my shoulder after the first five rounds. The thing is extremely accurate with the iron sights. Should receive my scope for it today, then watch out.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I watched this thread grow and grow. So now I'm going to throw my meager experience in.

I own a
    [FONT=&quot] model 415 tracker 2.5 inch barrel in .41 Mag. Have had it for years and I bought it used so I don't know the true round count. But for me its been flawless. So I would trust my life to it. As for accuracy, well as with most of the handguns I own, its more accurate than I am. But at 25 yards I can hit a man sized target and that is good enough for me. I would not hesitate to buy another Taurus revolver.

Like most people that visit gun forums regularly I hear a lot of bad about the pistols (and of course you can believe everything you read on the internet, right?). The only person I knew that had a Taurus 1911 style handgun sold it after shooting only a few times. So that is all I can base my opinion of the pistols on.

I also know two close friends that own the Judge and love them. One of them builds log cabins for a living and use's his for snake control. He reports its excellent for that job.

With that the revolvers get a :yesway: and the pistols get a :noway: from me for now. At least until the time I get some real experience with the pistols.

[/FONT]

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I've read posts from people who sell Taurus products. I can't argue with your experience, and a must admit, your sampling is much more statistically valid than mine. I've also read posts by people who sell them who swear by them. It's hard to get a firm understanding about these controversial guns. My argument is with those who rant who have no experience owning them or selling them, but expect us to believe that they've seen dozens of Taurus products fail right next to them at the range. I've read my share of those.

And my experience with three pistols, is admittedly anecdotal, as is the seller's, but credence should be given to more experience rather than less.

Good point. A great example of this would be the fact that I have fired exactly ONE (1) Barrett Light 50 (semi-auto .50 BMG). I put 10 rounds through it, and another guy was going to shoot it after me. On his second shot, the bolt didn't go into battery for some reason, but it still allowed the firing pin to travel forward, with the resulting inevitable Ka-Boom.

I could therefore say that Barretts are junk and always blow up. It would be false, but from my limited experience, that's MY history with them.

I'm just glad *I* wasn't the one who pulled the trigger when entropy increased.

sticks4walking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Nobletucky
    My experience with Taurus is this. I own a (or think I do) a PT 24/7 in .45 cal. It somehow developed a crack in the plastic just under the slide at the back. Had the place I bought it send it in to the factory. That was several months ago, still no gun. Been riding them like a pack mule to get it back, no luck yet. Its been so long I had to buy a another carry gun so I could leave the house again. Other than that, I thought it "WAS" a great gun, never FTF or anything. So good luck with yours.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Just shot my our recently acquired PT92. Pretty darn accurate gun. Its a breeze to break down and clean. Not as good as our SIGs though. I owned a PT99 about 10 years ago and never had a problem with it. For the money, I really don't think they can be beat:yesway:

Cantbephaded04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Had a taurus PT something or other in 9mm. Bought it used and it was reliable and good shooter. Ergonomically correct, enjoyed it alot. Only beef was with the cheap uncle mikes holster i had for it if i sat down and leaned on it a bit the mag would fall out. I left the mag buried in my couch many a times, good thing never at a time when I REALLY needed it. Overall though good budget gun.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    It somehow developed a crack in the plastic just under the slide at the back. Had the place I bought it send it in to the factory. That was several months ago, still no gun.

I had this happen to me with a 145 model a few years back after shooting + p ammo through it . I Sent it back and got it back in about a month , good to go ever since .

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    I've never owned one.
    I'm aquainted with a shop owner down south that has a love/hate affair with them. Seems the QC isn't what it used to be but not so bad as to quit recommending them.
    My problem is that I'd love to pick up a Tracker in a center fire round, but I've read of problems. Any input on recently purchased Trackers???.......:@ya:........<>< Duce

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I've never owned one.
    I'm aquainted with a shop owner down south that has a love/hate affair with them. Seems the QC isn't what it used to be but not so bad as to quit recommending them.
    My problem is that I'd love to pick up a Tracker in a center fire round, but I've read of problems. Any input on recently purchased Trackers???.......:@ya:........<>< Duce

That is something I haven't given a lot of thought to. Seems like most things including guns are not made as well as they used to be. Shortcuts taken to maximize profits, you end up with a lesser quality product. As I stated earlier in this thread I own an older Tracker. Perhaps they were made better back in the day and I haven't bought a new Taurus in years so I really don't know the quality of the current production models.

It would be good to hear from someone that has purchased a Taurus revolver new recently. Might give a better perspective on the quality of Taurus.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i think it must depend on what gun youre looking at. everything i have read says that the original millenium series were crap and the new Pro (3rd gen) are much improved. OTOH, most people agree that while the PT92/99 is not 100% a Beretta, it is close enough and can be purchased and used without worry.

Top Bottom