• Tariffs: A good idea?

• Total voters

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    You seem to know everything that's happening in China, I just want to know how valid it is.

I certainly wouldn't consider a life-long civilian to be an expert on the military.

That's like saying someone who is 60 years old cannot be an expert on ancient history.

Experience is one kind of knowledge. But someone who goes to Beijing every 6 months for a decade will never be an expert on China, just an expert on his own experience there with part of it. Those are very different things.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Generally, tariffs don't have a place is real free trade, but I see the use of tariffs as being like chemo-therapy. If you're dealing with state controlled monopolies that are protected by tariffs; reverse engineer and steal technology--especially that which has military value; manipulate currency values; use slave labor to undercut competition; and the state owning those monopolies engages in cyber warfare to do industrial and military espionage; then an embargo is appropriate. 25% tariff seems mild.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That's like saying someone who is 60 years old cannot be an expert on ancient history.

Experience is one kind of knowledge. But someone who goes to Beijing every 6 months for a decade will never be an expert on China, just an expert on his own experience there with part of it. Those are very different things.

True, but if someone is trying to tell me who the Chinese are or what they think, I expect them to have some past interactions.

Now let's talk about who really gets hurt in trade deals: Cock fighters.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/14/6766...mmittee-border-wall-and-a-ban-on-cockfighting

There's a new farm bill that's going to force Puerto Ricans to abandon they sport.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    True, but if someone is trying to tell me who [strike]the Chinese are[/strike] [Trump is] or what [strike]they[/strike] [he] think, I expect them to have some past interactions.

Still true? EMWTK

Now let's talk about who really gets hurt in trade deals: Cock fighters.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/14/6766...mmittee-border-wall-and-a-ban-on-cockfighting

There's a new farm bill that's going to force Puerto Ricans to abandon they sport.

I hope you realize posting something racist like that on social media would get you keel-hauled the length of the the barnacle encrusted hull of the HMS Social Justice

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I hope you realize posting something racist like that on social media would get you keel-hauled the length of the the barnacle encrusted hull of the HMS Social Justice

If the pictures of my past Halloween costumes ever made it out, no one would eve bother looking at what I wrote.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    True, but if someone is trying to tell me who the Chinese are or what they think, I expect them to have some past interactions.

Meh, let me try...you only are X therefore you can't discuss Y intelligently. A specious argument at best.

Amid growing tension between the United States and China over cyberattacks, lawmakers are proposing legislation to protect critical American technology from being stolen by hackers. The legislation is part of a broader focus by the United States government to combat the Chinese hacking and boost American cybersecurity.

https://www.fifthdomain.com/newslet...7.01.19&utm_term=Editorial - Early Bird Brief

“The Chinese government is attempting to acquire or steal, not only the plans and intentions of the United States government, but also the ideas and innovations of the very people that make our economy so incredibly successful,” Bill Priestap, an assistant director of counterintelligence at the FBI, said during a Dec. 12 Senate hearing. “We are being exploited by China, so we are right to shore up our defenses against this.”

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    She is a member in good standing with the ChiCom party and friends with Xi. If the Canooks actually extradite her to the US expect more Canooks to be arrested in ChiComland for various charges followed by USians. And they won't be under house arrest with an ankle bracelet.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    President Xi, on 20 May, told cheering crowds in Jiangxi that "We are here at the starting point of the Long March to remember the time when the Red Army began its journey," he called for the nation to embark on a new long march and "start all over again".

Xi sees sanctions as a threat to his timeline for the China Dream. He is preparing the population for hardships. He will not be happy if the US stops funding the ChiCom domination of the planet, they see the sanctions as an existential threat to Chinese Communism and are evoking wartime imagery.

De-funding our enemies is a good thing. After WWII I don't recall anyone wishing we had sold Imperial Japan more scrap metal to build aircraft carriers and battleships.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The ChiComs are every bit as evil as the old Soviet Onion ever was...sort of different plains of hell and hard to tell the difference. Of course we never let the Soviets become this big a player in our free market economy.

Top Bottom