• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    So... more likely to be problematic by a factor of "duh", but let's not bring that up in a thread in which the OP asked us to talk him out of it.

Look, I'm a little inept at social stuff, so I might be way off base here, but when *I* see that, I assume that the OP is not playing "do I look fat in these jeans" games and really wants what he says he wants -- to know the bad side of the gun in question and the things he might want to consider. OP, if you really want us to just tell you what a wonderful choice it is, I apologize for missing your real intent.

Having said all of that, here's my last, most honest answer: I love 1911s. I don't hate Kimber. Yes, you pay extra because they look sexy, but isn't that always the case? I have no problem with that. If you were my son, or someone I know and care about, I would try to talk you out of a 3" 1911. First, I'd try to ascertain whether you really NEED to go that small, or just can't grow up, MTFU, and get rid of your skinny jeans. On the chance that you REALLY, no-kidding, have no choice but to go that small, I'd suggest a Glock 26. I know, it's heresy, but that's the way I would steer my sons if they came to me with this issue. Either figure out a way to carry at least a commander-sized 1911, or get a glock 26.

YMMV.

Peace, out.

I appreciate peoples honest opinions and experiences. If I just wanted positives, I would have asked the question at the Kimbertalk forum.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am not going to hate on Kimbers. My opinion of all semi auto pistols in service calibers get quirkier as the barrel length falls below 3.5"-4".

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    So... more likely to be problematic by a factor of "duh", but let's not bring that up in a thread in which the OP asked us to talk him out of it.

Look, I'm a little inept at social stuff, so I might be way off base here, but when *I* see that, I assume that the OP is not playing "do I look fat in these jeans" games and really wants what he says he wants -- to know the bad side of the gun in question and the things he might want to consider. OP, if you really want us to just tell you what a wonderful choice it is, I apologize for missing your real intent.

Having said all of that, here's my last, most honest answer: I love 1911s. I don't hate Kimber. Yes, you pay extra because they look sexy, but isn't that always the case? I have no problem with that. If you were my son, or someone I know and care about, I would try to talk you out of a 3" 1911. First, I'd try to ascertain whether you really NEED to go that small, or just can't grow up, MTFU, and get rid of your skinny jeans. On the chance that you REALLY, no-kidding, have no choice but to go that small, I'd suggest a Glock 26. I know, it's heresy, but that's the way I would steer my sons if they came to me with this issue. Either figure out a way to carry at least a commander-sized 1911, or get a glock 26.

YMMV.

Peace, out.

Quit making too much sense........that's unreasonable ;)

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good

YMMV.

Peace, out.

I'm all outta of swagg to give ya...............god bless INGO for being righteous ;)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If you wanted it done right do you have any recommendations?

Gary Growe in Columbus is the only person I can think of close to you. He only takes work through local shops anymore. Bite the Bullet has a guy that can put stuff in 1911s, but he is more of a parts swapper. You have to buy the parts there and even then it better be drop in or minor fitting. They do stock Wilson parts though.

I will make a personal comment. I have met both Churchmouse and yourself and think pretty highly of all parties. Just sayin.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Gary Growe in Columbus is the only person I can think of close to you. He only takes work through local shops anymore. Bite the Bullet has a guy that can put stuff in 1911s, but he is more of a parts swapper. You have to buy the parts there and even then it better be drop in or minor fitting. They do stock Wilson parts though.

I will make a personal comment. I have met both Churchmouse and yourself and think pretty highly of all parties. Just sayin.
    I really appreciate the kind words and will say when we came up for the day was more than reasonable! Until I found myself researching and thinking about 1911s everyday and somehow hold you and CM responsible for me purchasing the TRP and there is know way I will be able to stop with that! LOL.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I really appreciate the kind words and will say when we came up for the day was more than reasonable! Until I found myself researching and thinking about 1911s everyday and somehow hold you and CM responsible for me purchasing the TRP and there is know way I will be able to stop with that! LOL.

It'll be hard to get any better than that TRP without spending $2k+

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    A common complaint about compact 1911s is performance issues, FTFs, jams, etc. I owned a Kimper Eclipse Ultra and my experience was good. Never had a single failure to feed or jam. Based on what I've heard about compacts, mine must have been a fluke because it was a very good performer. I no longer own it. I am partial to the 4-inch models. My reasoning has more to do with the way the 4-inch model fits my hand and it seems very nicely balanced. I just feel very natural with it and my accuracy seem to be best with the 4-inch as compared to the compacts or full size models. Just a personal preference.

Would I buy another Kimber? No, because as has been said already, a gun with that kind of price tag just should not use MIM parts or plastic mainspring housings as many (not all) of their models do.

I still own 2 Kimbers and I have replaced the MIM parts on both of them. Although both of them are sweet shooters now, I wouldn't do it over again. I would have been better off to put that money into a better made piece to start with. :twocents:

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It'll be hard to get any better than that TRP without spending $2k+

Truth. It is one of or the best out of the box 1911 in that price range.
    The Trophy Match is as good a gun but mainly a target shooter.
    Both will outshine a Kimber. JMHO from my own personal experiences with both brands.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Blushing.....:)

Top Bottom