• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I can't. An Ultra CDP II is my EDC piece. Haven't shot anything yet that I'd trade it for.:dunno:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    /\ This be truth. The 1911 platform was never designed to be that short. It begins to run into timing issues and the sub 4" guns are notoriously hard to get to run properly. Especially when they are packed full of crappy MIM parts that are poorly fitted like new Kimbers

OP check out Springfield ' new RO Compact.

Now to patently wait for Churchmouse.

:rolleyes:

I must have forgotten to tell my Kimber Tactical Ultra II (3" barrel) that it was supposed to not run after 7 years and thousands of rounds through it without a problem. I have had three Kimbers (3", 4" and 5" barrels) with their crappy MIM parts and zero issues, goosh my luck is usually a lot suckier then that.

I don't need to patiently wait for Churchmouse to tell me about my experiences with Kimber.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What about it did you hate?

Just not up to the price point. Not all that accurate. It would stove pipe too much. I fixed that but it was very mag ammo picky. For the price it should have been a better gun. I did not trust it for a carry gun.

It was very pretty so it had that going for it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I must have forgotten to tell my Kimber Tactical Ultra II (3" barrel) that it was supposed to not run after 7 years and thousands of rounds through it without a problem. I have had three Kimbers (3", 4" and 5" barrels) with their crappy MIM parts and zero issues, goosh my luck is usually a lot suckier then that.

I don't need to patiently wait for Churchmouse to tell me about my experiences with Kimber.

You got a good one. Congrates and hope it remains that way for you.

I have seen a few of these that just sucked.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    Just not up to the price point. Not all that accurate. It would stove pipe too much. I fixed that but it was very mag ammo picky. For the price it should have been a better gun. I did not trust it for a carry gun.

It was very pretty so it had that going for it.

Thanks for the info. I agree that for the price, it shouldn't have those issues and should have been a better gun for you. I wish Kimber had a longer warranty period.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

I'm glad you have had good luck. The Kimber I owned for a short time never would run 100% with anything that even remotely resembled a HP round. It is no secret that sub 4.25" barreled 1911s tend to be more prone to feeding issues than full sized or commander length guns. They just weren't meant to be that short, it is a design element of the pistol itself. The timing gets tricky at that length and not a lot of production guns come off the line with proper timing. MIM can be fine as long as it is done properly. There was a time not so long ago when Kimber was having trouble with their MIM parts breaking. Maybe they have since fixed that issue, or maybe you got one before they changed MIM parts vendors.

I, personally, was patiently waiting for Churchmouse to see what he would say on the issue. I know his opinion on Kimbers and his word on 1911s carrys much more weight than mine which carries little.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You got a good one. Congrates and hope it remains that way for you.

I have seen a few of these that just sucked.

Oh, I could care if you wait or not. If you like the gun good on you and the kimber. They are way over priced for what you get. I gave them 4 chances. All 4 were not up to the hype. They all needed attention to run well. Just my personal experience.

But....they were very pretty.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

I must have forgotten to tell my Kimber Tactical Ultra II (3" barrel) that it was supposed to not run after 7 years and thousands of rounds through it without a problem. I have had three Kimbers (3", 4" and 5" barrels) with their crappy MIM parts and zero issues,
    I know, riiight?!
    No WONDER none of mine turned to crap! I forgot to tell them to!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I got mine right after Sandy Hook. Granted I don't have but about 600 rds through it but it's been absolutely 100% perfect and damned accurate right out of the box.
    I do have a Custom II Kimber with a lot of rounds through it and the MIM is definitely starting to show it's wear and weaknesses. It's still running great and deadly accurate but I know the time is coming soon to throw a few hundred bucks in machined parts to keep it running great.
    I won't talk you out of buying one. I would be a hypocrite if I did.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks for the info. I agree that for the price, it shouldn't have those issues and should have been a better gun for you. I wish Kimber had a longer warranty period.

Check into the Springfield line. I have settled with them as a 1st choice in the price range. Warranty is stellar, CS is as well. They may not be as pretty as a Kimber but they are not clunky.

To those who own a Kimber, I hope they run long and well for you. My personal experience with them has been less than acceptable.

Kawtech is correct. The short barreled offerings have issue with HP rds. Shortest 1911 I own is a Commander SR-1. It has issue after a day at the range. Gun is new and not really been shot enough. It will need some work I am sure.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Maybe I am jinxed.....:dunno:

No, it's just that guns (like cars, refrigerators, or any other product) are objects with moving parts that can fail, meaning that every manufacturer makes lemons now and then. If they didn't, we wouldn't have repairmen, gunsmiths, or warranties.
    Maybe you never got a good Kimber. I have four and didn't get a lemon in the bunch.
    It's a crapshoot.
    craps_lg_clr.gif

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No, it's just that guns (like cars, refrigerators, or any other product) are objects with moving parts that can fail, meaning that every manufacturer makes lemons now and then. If they didn't, we wouldn't have repairmen, gunsmiths, or warranties.
    Maybe you never got a good Kimber. I have four and didn't get a lemon in the bunch.
    It's a crapshoot.
    craps_lg_clr.gif

Oh I am aware of the lemons. I get deep in a lot of 1911's. I hold the platform to a standard. Mainly based on price point. Just seemed the offerings from kimber fell short.
    Again...personal experience.

I need to run Harry's Kimber.

Top Bottom