• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I like tasers and think they should be used more often.

People get lippy, ZAP! You try to resist, ZAP! You run, ZAP!

I see a lot of the BS that police have to put up with, and a taser to the forehead would fix most attitude problems instantly.

Are they abused sometimes? Absolutely. What isn't. Each of those situations should be addressed individually, and the officer should be repremanded, fired, whatever as needed.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    They can take my Taser. If the situation is lethal...go to the pistol. If it is less lethal, spray them/strike them and they will feel it for the next several days. Tasers are unreliable. They work great if the prongs are in the right position, they rarely end up correctly in the field. I took the 5 sec hit in the certification class and it was over in 5 sec...I felt fine. They should NEVER be used as a lethal replacement...too unreliable. There are officers that are "Taser happy" and they should be dealt with on a case by case basis. ALL of the less lethal options can cause death in a small percentage of the population. An asthmatic might have issues with OC/CS and place them in respiratory distress. Strikes can cause internal damage that could cause internal bleedouts. I carry bean bag rounds. They are the force equivalent of being struck by a major league fast ball pitch...ouch. I have to aim for the belly for it to be safe. A hit over the heart can stop it, a hit in the head can do the same. They all must be used properly to be considered "less-lethal". That is why they went away from using "non-lethal"...there is no such animal.

Listen to this guy. He knows what he is talking about. To many people jump on the internet bandwagon just because it sounds good. Tasers save lives. Tasers don't kill people. Stupid people get themselves killed.

I have also done the Taser ride. Once with clips and once with probes and a five second ride. Fun? Nope. Effective? You bet when everything works right. They save lives..period.:yesway:

noname1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    As far as I know there are not any proven deaths from the use of a taser. I recall there being a case of a coroner saying that the taser was a contributing factor in someone's death, but Taser International challenged the doctors findings and it turns out the drugs he had taken prior to getting tased were what actually caused his death. He would have died with or without getting tased. The taser just allowed the officers to get him into custody to die before he hurt other people in his state of excited delerium. Don't believe everything that Google brings up without questioning the study.

I'm surprised nobody is drawing the equivalency to calls to turn in firearms because some people misuse them. I think the title of this thread hit a nerve.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Listen to this guy. He knows what he is talking about. To many people jump on the internet bandwagon just because it sounds good. Tasers save lives. Tasers don't kill people. Stupid people get themselves killed.

I have also done the Taser ride. Once with clips and once with probes and a five second ride. Fun? Nope. Effective? You bet when everything works right. They save lives..period.:yesway:

Did you actually read his post? He doesn't seem to endorse them.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    As far as I know there are not any proven deaths from the use of a taser. I recall there being a case of a coroner saying that the taser was a contributing factor in someone's death, but Taser International challenged the doctors findings and it turns out the drugs he had taken prior to getting tased were what actually caused his death. He would have died with or without getting tased. The taser just allowed the officers to get him into custody to die before he hurt other people in his state of excited delerium. Don't believe everything that Google brings up without questioning the study.

I'm surprised nobody is drawing the equivalency to calls to turn in firearms because some people misuse them. I think the title of this thread hit a nerve.

Salesman for Taser (cattleprod) international?

Just who's "life was being saved" in the video? Or maybe it was the LEO's in Martinsville who were saved from that dangerous 10 year old at the daycare? Give me a break.

noname1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    I'm not a salesmen for taser, I'm just not a fan of someone wanting to do away with something because it is misused. It appears there was a training problem or bad judgement from the Officer. If he pepper sprayed her would you want all cans of pepper spray turned in? Are you aware that the 10 year old that was given a very quick drive stun and was not hit with the prongs and given the 5 second blast. My understanding is the kid was compeletely out of control and violent. He did not respond to verbal commands from the Officers and they used the safest way they could to get him under control. Sure they could have tackled him and manipulated joints, but that may have resulted in broken bones or long term joint injuries. Instead he got a fraction of a second zap to get his attention. At the most he had a couple little burn marks where the contacts touched him. Those Officers, in my opinion, did nothing wrong. Feel free to disagree, but if you think Tasers need to be turned in because they are sometimes used inappropriately, are you also going to call for guns, knives, baseball bats and rocks to be turned in too? They are also sometimes used in poor judgement by all sorts of people.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm not a salesmen for taser, I'm just not a fan of someone wanting to do away with something because it is misused. It appears there was a training problem or bad judgement from the Officer. If he pepper sprayed her would you want all cans of pepper spray turned in? Are you aware that the 10 year old that was given a very quick drive stun and was not hit with the prongs and given the 5 second blast. My understanding is the kid was compeletely out of control and violent. He did not respond to verbal commands from the Officers and they used the safest way they could to get him under control. Sure they could have tackled him and manipulated joints, but that may have resulted in broken bones or long term joint injuries. Instead he got a fraction of a second zap to get his attention. At the most he had a couple little burn marks where the contacts touched him. Those Officers, in my opinion, did nothing wrong. Feel free to disagree, but if you think Tasers need to be turned in because they are sometimes used inappropriately, are you also going to call for guns, knives, baseball bats and rocks to be turned in too? They are also sometimes used in poor judgement by all sorts of people.
    You're obviously not very familiar with the Martinsville case. The senior cop was responsible for the events of that day and escalated them by assaulting the child, then the other officer tased him. His confederate gave him up. Fortunately he was forced to retire and won't be torturing children anymore.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...9009-verdict_in_on_martinsville_officers.html

MARTINSVILLE, Ind. -- A Martinsville police officer accused of using a stun gun on a 10-year-old boy was suspended on Tuesday.The Police Department recommended Officer Darren Johnson be suspended without pay for 45 days, with five days already served, and remain on probation for two years, 6News' Joanna Massee reported.The other officer involved in the incident, Capt. William Jennings, a 36-year veteran, resigned from the department last week.
    Johnson testified on Tuesday that Jennings escalated the situation by slapping the child after the boy had already started to calm down."I told my captain after we left … 'I didn't want to tase that 10-year-old child,'" he said. "It's not something I expected doing until the point my superior officer took the action that he did. I felt the situation was out of control and I'm sorry it had to come to that."
    As I said in the other thread, the cop tased the wrong person. He should have tased his partner.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Did you actually read his post? He doesn't seem to endorse them.

Yea I read it. Everything needs to be right before they are effective. In my experience 80% of the time they work and work well. I have had a Taser failure. It was because I was up close. I no longer carry OC. I hate the stuff. Tasers take up a lot of room on your duty belt. I like them and I will use it before I even touch you. Tasers are here to stay like them or not.

noname1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    You're obviously not very familiar with the Martinsville case. The senior cop was responsible for the events of that day and escalated them by assaulting the child, then the other officer tased him. His confederate gave him up. Fortunately he was forced to retire and won't be torturing children anymore.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...9009-verdict_in_on_martinsville_officers.html

As I said in the other thread, the cop tased the wrong person. He should have tased his partner.
    I did not hear the revised version where one officer changed his story. I wonder if that is the truth or he said it to save his back side. Regardless, it sounds like you may just have a problem with authority in general. I'm just surprised you are on this site with the mindset of banning things that you think may be misused.

pillsbury1983

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Tasers are an excellent tool when used appropriately. I sat through a class taught by a Chief of Police, he said since his agency began using tasers he had not had a single officer or suspect injured during a confrontation.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Don't get me wrong, I like my Taser OK but I would not lose any sleep over it if I could no longer carry it. Too many new officers were not around before Tasers and they are a crutch. We are allowed to tase someone if we have to go "hands on". Many new guys are quick to use it (still justified by general order). However, I prefer to go "hands on" myself. I'll save the Taser for someone that really needs it. If you run from me and I'm withing 25ft...or if you square up and a fight is unavoidable...etc I'll probably get it out. In the 6 yrs I've carried a Taser, I can count on 2 hands how many times I've deployed it. Most of those were full blown, 100% drag-out fights. I'm old fashion I guess, I prefer using my hands. However, if risk of injury is to great to go hands on-Taser is a better choice. But like everything else, it is far from 100% so one needs to know how to fight in the event that it fails. Some officers forget this.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I think they are a great tool and have their place. As always what is reasonable and appropriate is the key. Any tool, knife,gun,club,fist can and will be abused. It is the person responsible for the actions that is most important.

Son of Liberty

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Tasers save lives. It isn't like someone is being electrocuted. Pepper spray is far more painful and lasts for hours, plus it doesn't have the added benefit of instant neuromusculiar incapacitation. How many lives have been saved because officers have used tasers in lieu of deadly force. Yes it hurts, but it doesn't damage joints or have any long term effects. If someone is using unjustified force that should be addressed, but the Taser is probably the safest use of force and officer can use.

Sounds like you dont know much about electricity.

Son of Liberty

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009

Again the coroner is not an expert on electricity, it only takes a one tenth of a milli amp to stop the heart. In addition the sudden violatile force of your heart being tensed can cause heart failure.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    tasers are a great tool for police. i support police using them when neccessary. IF the story is true about these officers, then i dont think the taser was the real issue here. the real issue in my OPINION was their lack of fact finding skills and maybe patience. whether the woman refused to give them the name of the person or not, in my opinion doesnt change the fact that by them being there on scene it chased the person away and that was the womans goal by calling them. so their job had been done. it seems like maybe they took it personal that she wouldnt give them a name, or maybe they thought she was a intruder?? i dont know, i wasnt there. but the fact that they both lost their jobs says a lot to me.

i have taser certification and when i was tased in the class, its a 5 second ride and thats it. the officers in this case kept pulling the trigger so she rode the electric pony A LONG TIME, and im sure it wasnt fun, but im also about 90% sure that she wouldnt have sufferent any permanent health issues. THAT doesnt make it right, but at least the woman wont suffer from physical injuries for life ....... now emotional injuries, thats another story. i think this would tramatize anyone to an extent and make them fear police. I have witnessed police abuse a suspect by beating them with a batton, and i can tell you IM SURE that guy would have rather just been tased like her. (he got beat and tased. lol. sucked for him, but was interesting to watch none the least)

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    People complain about police action shootings. So tazer comes about. Saves the day and everyone adores their arrival. Then skip a couple years, and everyone once more has something else to complain about. Point is, there will always be complaints as we don't have robots as cops and everyone handles situations differently.

Best way to help remedy the problem? Don't get into trouble and your safe. Sure there will mix ups and mistakes, but most likely you won't be part of them. I've yet to find myself on the wrong end of one except for when we had to take them as training.

Top Bottom