• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I have a den of skunks living near my house. I would say that there is at least 10 of them. I see them hanging out in the field next to my house, doing whatever it is that skunks do. They get in my garbage, harass my wife, knock over our potted plants. I hate their souls.

I can't shoot them because I'm surrounded by a highway, an airport and a truck stop. I have access to live traps, but I'd rather not mess with disposing of them and getting sprayed in the process.

How can I get rid of them? Are there poisons that will work on them? Any ideas?

Brando

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Air Rifle? We had one stuck in the crawl space under our house once. Caught in a live trap. Only way to get it out was lifted up through a hole in the pantry and walk it through the kitchen. We put a blanket over the cage and slowly, nervously, put it outside. Then a .22 from a Mark II took care of it. Never sprayed.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Steve - this is a little long winded.

A co-worker (his name is also Steve) had a mother skunk and four kits living under the deck outside of their kitchen door. The whole house smelled vaguely of skunk which you can't hide with a scented candle. They tried traps but the mother was very careful and never took the bait. They tried some poisons but had to be careful due to pets and kids in the area. This went on for a few weeks. Imagine the smell.

Steve made a plan. He called a couple of friends who were experienced hunters and gun owners. They came out and looked the situation over very closely. The mother skunk came out of hiding with the four young ones every evening at dusk. They decided that the best opportunity would be to take them out at dusk. The plan was to have two shooters - one each in a second story window. They would take out the mother first, then the kits.

Steve talked to all the neighbors to explain the situation. Most were sympathetic since they knew what was happening at the house. One neighbor insisted that he did not believe that shooting the animals was necessary and did not approve of the plan. Steve asked him how to get them out but the guy had no ideas. Steve went a step further and called the police. They came out and talked to him (and smelled his house). They said as long as the neighbors are aware and in agreement, go ahead.

One evening, five shots were fired. Five animals were killed in less than two minutes. The disgruntled neighbor stayed disgruntled but everyone else was OK with it.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Shooting:

I read that they sometimes spray when shot, unless the spinal cord is severed with the shot. Did that not happen to your coworker? I'd hate to have the little jerks spray my house. Also, I have a one story house and no good place to shoot at them from above.

Live Traps:

I suppose these are an option, although I'm nervous about transporting a skunk away from the property and getting my vehicle hosed. Plus I'd have to catch 10 of them individually.

Thank you for the thoughts and ideas, I'll have to weigh the options. Any more experiences or ideas with this?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Shooting:

I read that they sometimes spray when shot, unless the spinal cord is severed with the shot. Did that not happen to your coworker? I'd hate to have the little jerks spray my house. Also, I have a one story house and no good place to shoot at them from above.

It's not so much that they "spray" when they die, it's that the muscles that keep the musk contained are relaxed upon death...allowing the musk to come out. And since it may be under a little pressure...

Kind of like how once a person passes away that they'll tend to void their bladder.

It just happens.

-J-

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Air rifles are a no go. I had a few in my neighborhood and I tried hunting one down with my airsoft M16A1 that I use to keep roving bands of airsoft toting teens off my lawn. Didn't work, heck, I dumped the 120 round mag into it. They don't run. They don't hide. They show their little arse and hiss. They spray. It stinks. Handguards STILL smell... :(

Sounds weird, but have you called a local no kill exterminator? Why kill them? Those guys LOVE challenges and would take one on (having known one)! It's like snakes: Every 'tard out there wants to shoot them, why? Just back up and move in a different direction. Get them later with your riding mower! Also, if we had more badgers in the area, that usually would do the trick. Alas, too far south/east. I knew another guy that would plank up their hole and sit cinder blocks on it. They would either die off or if they lived would not be long for the world. Sad though...

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    chemical-suit.jpg

+

baseball_bat_nails.jpg

=

Problem solved.

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    Lot of licensed animal removers in IND.

See em all the time.

I've sent my share of the stinkers to the great beyond, but in different circumstances than yours.

A call to the animal professionals and some greenbacks will make your prob dissipate much like the skunk smell.

DCR

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    On two previous occasions I apparently had a skunk under my deck. I say apparently due to the smell, but I never saw one. I got a quart spray bottle and filled it half full with straight ammonia. I sprayed between the deck boards. although I guess I could have just poured it. I did that once or twice and he was gone, worked both times.
    Might work for you, might not, it's a pretty cheap and easy remedy if it works.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Air rifle =/= airsoft, you know that. I have a .22 that'll demise them no problem, and it has a suppressor on it, so it doesn't make a lot of commotion. Shot myself in the leg with an airsoft once to see what it felt like.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Don't use poison they could crawl some where and die, and then decompose making the situation worse. Destroying the den with fire when they are not there is a good choice that should force them to move. But If you can't afford a "Critter Gitter" A good Air gun with varmint pellets would be my choice. And I'm talking a about a good one like a Gamo or Benjamin.

bsh01bsh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    it may not be what you want to do if you care for animals but i would not want to be sprayed and chances are that if there are 10 of them your getting sprayed if they are not shot

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Tell ya what, if you pop them and skin them (this can be accomplished, believe it or not) they make awesome hats. I have one I got on ebay.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Nuke them from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

Seriously, I would contact one of the live vermin removal types, maybe ask the animal control dept of the local PD for ideas. Burning the den when they are not around would be the runner-up choice for me, since you said no-go on shooting them.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just a thought, but I got rid of 2 ground chucks that were living under my deck using subsonic 22 rounds. Penetrated all the way and my neighbor was pulling weeds in his yard and wife was 30 feet away and didn't realize what I had done. Neighbor never heard a thing. It's only like 4 bucks for 50 rounds. Sight in a good rifle at the range, wait for almost dark when they come out, pop, pick them up when it gets dark and dispose. :ar15:

Top Bottom