SWAT Team invades home and kills dog for a joint.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    See I could care less what the reason for the Warrant was. To me and many of us on here that is not the issue. The issue for me is the Fact that LEA are running around acting like they are a Military Unit. Causing more "collateral damage than the US military is allowed to do when we raid a KNOWN Taliban encampment in the middle of a CZ. They only then that is getting done is more of the Rights and Freedoms that some give sweat and blood for are being stripped.

No-Knocks and killing of pets during a dynamic entry. Why does this even need to be in their toolbox?!

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    AGAIN, Let's look at the FACTS. Alarming Facts about The War on Drugs ; Prisons & Drug Offenders | Drug War Facts

*The number of inmates incarcerated on drug related charges has increased by 550% since 1990.

*The US has 5% of the world's population, but 25% of the world's inmates.

* 1 in 4 inmates has been incarcerated on "DRUG CHARGES"

*The prison system has become PRIVATIZED. Which means we have created a "PRISON INDUSTRY". This means the prison system is a corporation and people are getting rich from arresting "drug offenders". Here is one of the largest... CCA (The Corrections CORPORATION of America) What better way to make money in a failing economy...?

Enormous amounts of money were dumped into these "state of the art" facilities...but there was one problem. Not enough prisoners to keep the doors open. So, what do we do...create more laws and arrest more people. That way the prisons and the government can make a profit.
    “Private Prison Industry” Experiences Boom

MPD - I can't speak for anyone else, but I am NOT anti-LEO. I do believe that we need officers in order to ...KEEP THE PEACE. So, for your examples of people stealing, robbing, and shooting...have at it. Those people are infringing on another person's rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. However, when "Law enforcement" busts down someones door and finds a joint (or even a pound) and the guy has infinged no one else's rights...then we are creating a 'police state'. The law enforcement officers are now acting as a Military unit and (as some people posted) trying to strike fear in the people.

I am not posting my opinion here. I am posting FACTS, and have included references to back them up. I will not continue to feed the trolls who come in and say "you MUST be a druggie!" , or, "POTHEAD"

.... wake up people.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    What is the racial make up of federal prision population?

I'm not at my pc so I can't google, can someone help me with that?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    What is the racial make up of federal prision population?

I'm not at my pc so I can't google, can someone help me with that?

From Wikipedia

General population
    The racial composition of the US population as of 2008 was 79.79% White American (65.60% non-Hispanic and 14.19% Hispanic), 12.84% African American (12.22% non-Hispanic and 0.62% Hispanic), 4.45% Asian American (4.35% non-Hispanic and 0.10% Hispanic), 1.01% American Indian or Alaska Native (0.76% non-Hispanic and 0.25% Hispanic), 0.18% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander American (0.14% non-Hispanic and 0.04% Hispanic), and 1.69% Multiracial American (1.64% non-Hispanic and 0.05% Hispanic). 15.25% of the total US population identified their ethnicity as Hispanic.[8]
    [edit]Prison population
    Further information: Incarceration in the United States
    The racial composition of the US prison and jail population as of 2008 was 33.44% White American (non-Hispanic), 40.21% African American (non-Hispanic), 20.29% Hispanic, and 6.06% Other (American Indian, Alaska Native, Asian American, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander American, and Multiracial American).[9]

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    From Wikipedia

Here is the racial make-up of the prison system...

Prison population

The racial composition of the US prison and jail population as of 2008 was 33.44% White American (non-Hispanic), 40.21% African American (non-Hispanic), 20.29% Hispanic, and 6.06% Other (American Indian, Alaska Native, Asian American, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander American, and Multiracial American).[9]

EDIT : Expat. I see you included what I posted as well. ;)

What are you getting at IndyMonkey?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Point of order... Private prisons don't actually arrest anyone. They just incarcerate them, after they've been convicted. Most prisons also release inmates well before the full sentence is served.

So, there really is no "greed" motivator that I can see.

In fact most prisons are looking for ways to get rid of inmates so they don't violate Federal "over-crowding" laws.

The reason most prisons did not have enough inmates to begin with, is because prosecutors were slow to convict and often released prisoners from jail to aleviate over-crowding and of course these people never showed back up for their court dates.

Now, we do a much better job of moving people through jail and into prison.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Point of order... Private prisons don't actually arrest anyone. They just incarcerate them, after they've been convicted. Most prisons also release inmates well before the full sentence is served.

In fact most prisons are looking for ways to get rid of inmates so they don't violate Federal "over-crowding" laws.

The reason most prisons did not have enough inmates to begin with, is because prosecutors were slow to convict and often released prisoners from jail to aleviate over-crowding and of course these people never showed back up for their court dates.

I am not going to argue the fact that private prisons don't arrest anyone...that's a no brainer.

What I will show you though is this article from CNN.com... Inside America's $37 billion prison economy - December 1, 2006

It shows how the prison system is an 'economy booster'...a $37 Billion dollar industry. I would definately consider that a "greed motivator"

A quote from the article...
    "We feel very, very good about the business prospects," CCA's Lingo says. The company's profit of $47 million during the first six months of 2006 nearly matched that for all of 2005.

A PROFIT of $47 Million dollars in ONLY 6 months!!! PROFIT!

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Isn't the point of business to turn a profit?

I see nothing wrong with a private company making a profit, do you?

If you really want to impress me with how evil contract prisons are, show me where they're making campaign contributions to get more laws to put more people in prison.

Also, if they wanted more money, why would they release people ahead of time since they're paid per inmate?

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    :yesway: My feeling exactly.

10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.

See I could care less what the reason for the Warrant was. To me and many of us on here that is not the issue. The issue for me is the Fact that LEA are running around acting like they are a Military Unit. Causing more "collateral damage than the US military is allowed to do when we raid a KNOWN Taliban encampment in the middle of a CZ. They only then that is getting done is more of the Rights and Freedoms that some give sweat and blood for are being stripped.

No-Knocks and killing of pets during a dynamic entry. Why does this even need to be in their toolbox?!

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN

Yes, the point of a corporation is to indeed make a profit. Again, not arguing that.

If you really want to impress me with how evil contract prisons are, show me where they're making campaign contributions to get more laws to put more people in prison.

I shouldn't have to. Simple economics will explain that. Consider this part of the government's "bail out"...they are stimulating the economy by putting their OWN AMERICAN CITIZENS in prison. You are ok with that?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Since we're a nation of laws, we must respect the laws, and as a Christian, I am called to submit to the law of the land.

I don't agree with the law and think it should be changed and will agitate to do so, but in the mean time, gotta play by the rules or face the consequences. Nothing wrong with making a buck or two in the mean time. Buy stock in contract prisons if you want to recoup some of your tax dollars. Luckily, (or not) we're not running short on criminals.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Unless the two entities are colluding to imprison more people or extend sentencing through lobbying, I can't see where anything wrong is being done on the part of the prison. They're merely providing a service to the government.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN

Also, if they wanted more money, why would they release people ahead of time since they're paid per inmate?

Here you go... (I'm sure I can find more) Please note that "CCA" is focused on quite a bit in these articles.

Is CCA trying to buy an immigration bill here similar to Arizona’s? | Nashville City Paper: Nashville's Online Source for Daily News

Top Private Prison Lobbyists in Texas | Texas Prison Bid'ness

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    There is no civil case to be brought. As long as the officer in good faith thought the warrant was good they are off the hook. And you can't sue the judge. Bottom line is don't be a criminal.

dont be a criminal <<< TRUE

but what about being innocent and having no recoarse? thats not very reasuring as a law abiding citizen

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

do you still believe we will find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq? because thats about as far fetched as not realizing the prison system is a HUGE money maker for private companies. the war on drugs and our entire out of bounds Law Enforcement system is basicly the modern welfare program that was created during the great depression to build roads, bridges, monuments, dams, etc

Since we're a nation of laws, we must respect the laws, and as a Christian, I am called to submit to the law of the land.

I don't agree with the law and think it should be changed and will agitate to do so, but in the mean time, gotta play by the rules or face the consequences. Nothing wrong with making a buck or two in the mean time. Buy stock in contract prisons if you want to recoup some of your tax dollars. Luckily, (or not) we're not running short on criminals.

yes there is something wrong with making a buck when its at the expense of freedom.
    making back tax dollars, lol, thats a sham. if the govt realizes it saved money, what do they do??? they go MORE overbudget the next time.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    You do realize, don't you, that we did in fact find such weapons?

Not to mention that we never had to find any in the first place, under the terms of the ceasefire, Iraq had to document the location of all the weapons they had, and show proof of their disposition. Instead, they actively tried to deceive the inspectors. Perhaps they were hiding the fact they didn't have WMD?

The way this has been spun and swallowed by the conventional wisdom is straight out of 1984.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom