Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    If the guy repairing the light had said, "Hey guys, I'm a cop, too, this is my day off and I'm doing this repair work on the side," and then handed them his badge, would they have handcuffed him and disarmed him while they checked him out? Or would they have checked him out at all?

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    you will find very few leo that will let you get them on tape. if they notice you are recording they will probably order you to stop at the least and you could end up in jail on a bs charge.Photography is Not a Crime — It’s a First Amendment Right

I'm a photographer by trade. I carry around a copy of the Photographer's Rights in my wallet, and in my camera bag.

Sorry, Mr. LEO, my camera stays on, just like yours does. Your order doesn't hold the weight of law. Especially in Indiana, where only one party need be notified that the recording is happening.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    If the guy repairing the light had said, "Hey guys, I'm a cop, too, this is my day off and I'm doing this repair work on the side," and then handed them his badge, would they have handcuffed him and disarmed him while they checked him out? Or would they have checked him out at all?

An excellent question.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I'm a photographer by trade. I carry around a copy of the Photographer's Rights in my wallet, and in my camera bag.

Sorry, Mr. LEO, my camera stays on, just like yours does. Your order doesn't hold the weight of law. Especially in Indiana, where only one party need be notified that the recording is happening.

If he knows the camera is on, he just says "Sir, please step outside your car and come to the rear bumper with me". No more camera.

Just set it in the center console or on your visor where it's not seen. It's pretty easy.

Seriously, everything changes when you have an action on video. In the case I referenced earlier I had a cop put me in cuffs over something incredibly stupid. I had eight video cameras and two mics on my house. Everything got picked up, including him telling me I was going to jail, me proffering that I had a gun, and him throwing my gun in the bushes. He denied any of that occurred, until I put together the video montage and gave it to his boss and the city attorney. He resigned a day after my turning the video over.

Not that you are trying to ambush anyone, but you are more likely to get honest interaction from him if the camera and mic are concealed.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    If he knows the camera is on, he just says "Sir, please step outside your car and come to the rear bumper with me". No more camera.

Just set it in the center console or on your visor where it's not seen. It's pretty easy.

Seriously, everything changes when you have an action on video. In the case I referenced earlier I had a cop put me in cuffs over something incredibly stupid. I had eight video cameras and two mics on my house. Everything got picked up, including him telling me I was going to jail, me proffering that I had a gun, and him throwing my gun in the bushes. He denied any of that occurred, until I put together the video montage and gave it to his boss and the city attorney. He resigned a day after my turning the video over.

Not that you are trying to ambush anyone, but you are more likely to get honest interaction from him if the camera and mic are concealed.

and people wonder why some of us dont trust cops. sorry to the good cops, but thanks to some of your criminal co-workers I dont know whos the good cops and who's the bad cops.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Best to err on the side of personal safety.

Exactly. We all know there are SOME bad cops out there who will lie, abuse freedoms, and even plant evidence. And since we as citizens can't know from looking which are the good cops and which are the bad cops, we should treat all cops as bad cops until we establish the situation beyond a doubt. It's nothing personal, it's just for our safety.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Exactly. We all know there are SOME bad cops out there who will lie, abuse freedoms, and even plant evidence. And since we as citizens can't know from looking which are the good cops and which are the bad cops, we should treat all cops as bad cops until we establish the situation beyond a doubt. It's nothing personal, it's just for our safety.

agree with you both!! They do it to us so why not us to them!! My freedoms are more important than any cops feelings. cops dont protect your freedoms, they enforce the law (notice I didnt say they are the law, because they arent). if anything by enforcing the laws they take them (freedoms) away. WE THE PEOPLE are responsible for protecting our freedoms!!! DONT EVER trust anyone else to protect your freedoms!!!

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    citizen rule #1 make it home safe at the end of the day.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Why?

If I can be recorded, which everyone seems to be when they're pulled over now, I can record them without being subversive.

Generally, however, when I'm driving, I'm not in a car alone.

But to use a phrase oft spoken by the police, "What do they have to hide?"

Because, if you have the bad luck to be dealing with an officer that actually NEEDS to be recorded, and he sees it, your camera may get lost or damaged.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana

Too bad I have to spread my rep around...
    Next time dross:popcorn:

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    These threads really have had a sobering effect on my opinion of the amount of credit I feel we as a nation offer the police man.

I have had many good interactions with LE even while being ticketed. I have met good guys and some chuckle heads that upped the tension because of my own attitude.

What worries me is that the old days of phone book beat Downs and basic get away with anything when no one is around to witness it, should be going away. However Not seems more and more those days of corruption are not gone.

It truly must blow to be a LEO when everyone thinks you are a JBT and treats you as such until you kiss their tush offering handshakes, Twinkies and get out of jail free cards.

You can put the purple wherever makes you feel better.

Personally since most LE posts entail a grand discussion about how everyone lies or is shady when they interact with them it seems to be a vicious circle of no one trusting the others to not be a Richard.

The major difference is that LE gets to beat, taxes, incarcerate and kill a citizen if they don't get absolutely the compliance they desire. Even if they aren't justified the odds of surviving beyond the defensive action are poor.

Having that power will always be tempting to abuse it.

Sad sad sad.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I disagree. I don't believe that all LEO encounters have the potential for things to go wrong. I've stated before that there are times when I would interact with a LEO on pleasant grounds. Even with the possibility of me being in the wrong.

I have a situation that happened recently, that while I'm not going into detail, ended with an interaction with local LEOs that could have ended much worse if he'd have had the wrong attitude about the situation, or the wrong impression. As it was, he saw my side for what it was, and shook my hand afterword.

I had a discussion with my dad, a former LEO, because I value his opinion, on carry issues and interactions with LEOs. While he agrees with some of the SOPs that have been spoken of by LEOs on this board, he also sees the other side and that citizens and LEOs should be able to look at a situation for what it is and react accordingly, and I agree. Neither side needs to be ready to turn the dial to eleven immediately. But I'm also going to give the benefit of the doubt to both sides that they're able to use common sense and good judgment when interacting with each other.

Yes, the temptation of corruption is there, as is the temptation to cop an attitude right out of the gate when dealing with each other.

What we as citizens must learn is that not all LEOs will treat us horribly, and what LEOs must learn is that we citizens don't deserve to be treated like criminals all the time. There can be a balance. We only ask for mutual respect.

At least I do.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Just so everyone knows where I am coming from, personally.

I am not looking for any officer to kiss my tush, give me twinkies or (since I am not expecting to go to jail) give me a get out of jail free card

I have never had a bad encounter with LEOs.
    I cooperate, they do their job, we usually all go home smiling.

I have also never been treated like the OP was.

To me, the lesson I get from these types of threads is that I have a better feel for when a LEO situation is not going to go smoothly.
    I am more prepared, and I am more able to handle the situation correctly.
    Like I said before, the out of the blue question 'Do you have any weapons?' is now a red flag for me.
    I am not going to drop into a quartering stance and scream about violating my rights and make the officer have a bad day.
    But I am more aware.
    No one here can say there is not a problem.
    Even the LEOs will admit there is a problem.
    I believe that the problem is very much in the minority.

I still do not expect to ever have a bad experience with an LEO.
    I am helpful and courteous.
    I respect the job they do and I appreciate it.
    But now I have less chance of being blind sided by the minority rogue cop.
    Since I am ready, I won't get as angry and I feel that I will come out of an uncomfortable situation better.
    We will all have a better day.

Also, as citizens we have to voice against bad SOP or it will never change.

Top Bottom