• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    He'll be back out on the road coming right back at you all soon enough and may be he'll have a carry permit and be packing a gun around drunk for when he can't ram you on his drunkcycle.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    One positive thing with this county is a person that kills someone while OWI will get a substantial prison sentence. The last one of these I was involved with where the person had a prior and then killed someone received a twelve year sentence. Enough? No but still substantial.

I am actually ashamed of my self because over the years I have gotten pretty frustrated with the OWI. For a number of years I would always be one of the highest in the county with OWI arrests. A average of twenty five OWI's with a high of sixty two down to one for me this year. Never let any go I just stopped prowling for them and focused my attention to other things. I got tired of the silly games,depositions, our OWI judge whose own husband got a OWI, and the added paper work. A average simple OWI in this county takes three hours of solid work and way to many get pleaded to silly stuff like PI ect. Good solid airtight cases pleaded to public intox.:xmad: Might be time to get back at it. It is all to easy to forget the real reason we do these crimes. There is no shortage of them.

Anyway just a little glimpse of how it is on this side of the fence.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    One positive thing with this county is a person that kills someone while OWI will get a substantial prison sentence. The last one of these I was involved with where the person had a prior and then killed someone received a twelve year sentence. Enough? No but still substantial.

I am actually ashamed of my self because over the years I have gotten pretty frustrated with the OWI. For a number of years I would always be one of the highest in the county with OWI arrests. A average of twenty five OWI's with a high of sixty two down to one for me this year. Never let any go I just stopped prowling for them and focused my attention to other things. I got tired of the silly games,depositions, our OWI judge whose own husband got a OWI, and the added paper work. A average simple OWI in this county takes three hours of solid work and way to many get pleaded to silly stuff like PI ect. Good solid airtight cases pleaded to public intox.:xmad: Might be time to get back at it. It is all to easy to forget the real reason we do these crimes. There is no shortage of them.

Shoot yeah KEEP at it, each one could be saving someone's wife or child!:patriot:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

Might be time to get back at it.snip

Want some help? :D

I was always very aggressive about going after drunks. Once I figured out the chances to be the knight in shining armor really don't come along that often, I figured it was one way for me to really be able to protect the community and save lives.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    One positive thing with this county is a person that kills someone while OWI will get a substantial prison sentence.

Is that so? If only betting were legal!

Certainly not in every case and especially not if you wear a badge and kill someone. In fact, if you wear a badge your OWI will be dismissed.

bignail.jpg

Good solid airtight cases pleaded to public intox

Are these only cases against deputy prosecutors or can anyone get a deal like this?

Which county and who is the prosecutor that I talk to?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Keep the faith man. The one that has always stuck with me was the drunk driver who killed the mother and 5 year old child trying to "teach" a different motorist a lesson. When I went to work the mother and child they were both DRT and when I went to his vehicle and he had a few scratches and some seatbelt contusion and that was it. At the time I was very glad I didn't know he was intoxicated, I'm not sure I could have rendered care. This was his third offense and he got 8 years and actually served a little over 2 :xmad: Too many people get away with it because too many steps in the system don't go far enough.

When I encounter a DD when I'm in my POV I call them in and follow them from a distance. I figure if they run into someone else then I can at least render care to whomever they run into.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Is that so? If only betting were legal!

Certainly not in every case and especially not if you wear a badge and kill someone. In fact, if you wear a badge your OWI will be dismissed.

bignail.jpg

Are these only cases against deputy prosecutors or can anyone get a deal like this?

Which county and who is the prosecutor that I talk to?

There is no proof that Bishard was drunk. NONE! No probable cause,not even reasonable suspicion. Nothing at all besides a known faulty police vehicle and possibly a policy violation. The OWI standards of proof work both ways don't they? Yes they sure do.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Want some help? :D

I was always very aggressive about going after drunks. Once I figured out the chances to be the knight in shining armor really don't come along that often, I figured it was one way for me to really be able to protect the community and save lives.

Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursday this week. Come on out Joe. You are always welcome in my car.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    There is no proof that Bishard was drunk. NONE! No probable cause,not even reasonable suspicion.

You mean other than the presumptive proof that he was intoxicated at .19 BAC?

There's no evidence, other than the evidence!:):

The OWI standards of proof work both ways don't they? Yes they sure do.

Funny how those standards work a lot better against those without a badge.;)

If Bisard did not have a uniform and badge, say if he was a firefighter, no way the OWI gets dismissed without a whimper from the PA.

O2guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    MSG2
    Agree with Freeman here, I know there was a long thread of this but in the story linkrd below, amazing how the officer could use the sniff test. Alchohol coming off her breath and body, but noone could tell Bisard was drinking hmmm:dunno:

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    A average simple OWI in this county takes three hours of solid work and way to many get pleaded to silly stuff like PI ect. Good solid airtight cases pleaded to public intox.:xmad: Might be time to get back at it. It is all to easy to forget the real reason we do these crimes. There is no shortage of them.

I've only witnessed one DUI arrest/process during any of my ride-alongs but that was definitely the longest process I've witnessed. I don't remember the start and end times but it felt like forever. The officer had to fill out so much paperwork it was nuts. A lot of it was repetitive stuff that SEEMS like it could be done much more efficiently.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Alchohol coming off her breath and body, but noone could tell Bisard was drinking hmmm

If you believe that, then I have a bridge over the White River that I want to sell you.:D

Just picked up a case this morning, Minor in Consumption, .04 BAC and Purdue cops write that "smell associated with the impurities of an alcoholic beverage were overpowering".

Well, what's .19 in relation to .04, not that much more, right?:rolleyes:

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    There is a guy at work that got his 3rd dui earlier this year. He has had all of them reduced to reckless driving. With my hazmat license I will not touch the stuff unless I know that I am not going anywhere or I know that I have a place to sleep at anothers house. Those two have happened in a long time. I can't risk my job over a bad decision.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    He has had all of them reduced to reckless driving.

Ah, he must be a deputy prosecutor.:D Nice to have a badge, gets you out of all kinds of sticky wickets--from misdemeanor to major felony OWI Causing Death.

OWI and LSA with damaged to a parked car to Reckless Driving to being rehired to work sex crimes.

20027418_240X180.jpg

Yes, please have more LEOs tell us how horrible drunk driving is.:):

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    There is no proof that Bishard was drunk. NONE! No probable cause,not even reasonable suspicion. Nothing at all besides a known faulty police vehicle and possibly a policy violation. The OWI standards of proof work both ways don't they? Yes they sure do.

Yeah, other than horrible driving behavior and a .19 blood draw result...

Have you considered how hypocritical your post appears? That .19 blood draw is still admissible in court, just not for criminal purposes. It is also usable in employment proceedings.

4-5 years ago it would have been admissible in criminal proceedings. The only reason it isn't usable today is because of a horribly written law which makes it inadmissible just because the building it was taken in wasn't on a hospital campus.

Just because it was taken in the wrong building, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Kirk,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Oman case predate the blood draw statute by several years? I don't think you are going to be able to backdoor the draw in that way when there is a specific statute on point.

That said, I still am appalled that Brizzi just decided to roll over on it. Nothing like not even trying is there, especially when it has political motivations written all over it.

Joe

Top Bottom