"Strictly Shooting" Indoor Range (Evansville, IN)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    Sorry for bringing this back up, but I thought my experiences may be relevant. If you're "Strictly" looking for a place to do your "Shooting" the place has been great for me. I've gone once a week for over a month now, and I have nothing bad to say. I have noticed that unless they know you they don't give good service on the retail floor, but for the range I've always walked in, and gotten in quickly. The big guy with the longer goatee is kind of dry, but nice enough. When I go first thing in the morning and no one else is there he's always like "don't worry if you go over your 30 minutes". I've stayed 35-45 minutes and he just waved as I walked out. As a matter of fact I'm going right now to try out the SIG mosquito I bought for my wife last night, and run a few rounds for my carry gun.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Sorry for bringing this back up, but I thought my experiences may be relevant. If you're "Strictly" looking for a place to do your "Shooting" the place has been great for me. I've gone once a week for over a month now, and I have nothing bad to say. I have noticed that unless they know you they don't give good service on the retail floor, but for the range I've always walked in, and gotten in quickly. The big guy with the longer goatee is kind of dry, but nice enough. When I go first thing in the morning and no one else is there he's always like "don't worry if you go over your 30 minutes". I've stayed 35-45 minutes and he just waved as I walked out. As a matter of fact I'm going right now to try out the SIG mosquito I bought for my wife last night, and run a few rounds for my carry gun.

That's probably Doug. He is a pretty good guy. I believe he and his brother work there. Amazing archers from what I hear, National level.

Only thing I don't like about their indoor shooting range is no more birdshot if you want to shoot shotgun. Only slugs. Something about it destroying the cardboard targets and it being a pain to clean up.

We're heading there ourselves today to test out a friends new xd40sc and possibly some of his blackpowder pistols.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    I heard that too. But they said you can still shoot larger shot. :dunno:

I wonder how much larger they want... 00/000 buck is still kind of pricey for just target practice.

Just got back... Pretty funny story. My friend and I go there to put some rounds through his new xd40sc. He also brings along his black powder pistol to try and see if some premade paper cartridges he made for it will work.

Doug puts us in lane six which is up against the far wall. We didn't mention that my buddy was going to fire off the blackpowder pistol as we didn't really think about it (we were mainly there for his xd).

So, he walks up there to test a couple rounds (he only brought a couple to test out) while I loaded up a couple magazines.

After his 2nd shot I turn around and notice he is trying to smother a smoldering pile of brass and trash located right in front of the lane. It then bursts into flame and he is a little flustered. Of course I walk over to the fire extinguisher, get it, and put it out (based on old burn marks it looks like similar fires had started in the same locations) no biggie. Nothing big, literally only a couple of bursts killed it.

After we were done shooting I let Doug know just so they knew, and also so they could check the fire extinguisher (so as not to run afoul of any fire inspections).

Doug was very gracious about it, he did seem a little alarmed when we first told him and he asked "IT'S NOT STILL BURNING IS IT!?" LOL, as if we'd walk out there calmly waiting for him to finish with a customer to let him know the range was burning down lol.

Overall a good experience. They did seem to have a good stock of Kimbers in, the case in that section was full of them. Shotguns and rifles seem a little light still.

Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    When ownership changed about 10 years ago it went to hell. The range is a disaster. Usually no staples, no carboard left on the target carrier, assuming you get one that still works. Piles of fired cases on the floor to step on and thier idea of an exhaust fan is a big hole in the upper part of the north wall. Unfriendly workers and a owner who clearly doesn't give a damn. You can go there, not me. :xmad:

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    When ownership changed about 10 years ago it went to hell. The range is a disaster. Usually no staples, no carboard left on the target carrier, assuming you get one that still works. Piles of fired cases on the floor to step on and thier idea of an exhaust fan is a big hole in the upper part of the north wall. Unfriendly workers and a owner who clearly doesn't give a damn. You can go there, not me. :xmad:

Doug is probably the friendliest there once you get to know him (of course in a sales environment you shouldn't have to get to know the sales person for them to be friendly and helpful)... other than that I would agree with everything else you have stated which is why I haven't purchased a gun from there in about 4 years.

I will say that the cardboard was actually decent today.

DaddyFixSemi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Princeton, In
    Just means I get to shoot by myself! lol jk

But seriously, I wish you all had a better experience there. It would be nice to see some fellow INGOers when I went.

I'll be going there friday of next week if my Walther PPQ comes in. I'll lett you know for sure when I here from Tucker's here in Mt.Vernon. If it does come in then I'll meet you there to put my first mag through it.

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    I'll be going there friday of next week if my Walther PPQ comes in. I'll lett you know for sure when I here from Tucker's here in Mt.Vernon. If it does come in then I'll meet you there to put my first mag through it.

I wouldn't take away firing the first rounds out of your new pistol lol. But I'll probably be able to head over. I'm always looking for an excuse to take my Glock, and my AR and head to the range. :)

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana

I am assuming you got a good price on the Walther? It seems like some of their prices were getting better, the Kimbers seemed about average price wise and they had a Springfield EMP 40 at a pretty good price (just as good as it was at Whitakers at the time) I was pretty tempted and the fellow actually spent some time to talk with me about it, normally I just got short non-helpful answers so I was kind of surprised (in fact if I had the cash I would have actually have bought it from him).

DaddyFixSemi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Princeton, In
    Tucker's locked my price at $520 plus tax, and from what I've seen from looking around that about right where it should be.. I could have done about 5 bucks better online but the price after shipping and ffl transfer would have been higher total then what I paid at tuckers.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Tucker's locked my price at $520 plus tax, and from what I've seen from looking around that about right where it should be.. I could have done about 5 bucks better online but the price after shipping and ffl transfer would have been higher total then what I paid at tuckers.

Ah ok you bought it at Tucker's in Mt. Vernon - I thought you bought it at Strictly. Good to know, if I'm ever out that way I'll have to check Tucker's out.

DaddyFixSemi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Princeton, In
    No as other's have said they don't have much in stock as far as handguns go and just by seeing that when I was there during the evansville gun show, I wouldn't order one from them anyways. But I will still use their range for as much as I can afford.

Tell you what bishopp if you want feel free to join me and mryesterday when my gun comes in.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    No as other's have said they don't have much in stock as far as handguns go and just by seeing that when I was there during the evansville gun show, I wouldn't order one from them anyways. But I will still use their range for as much as I can afford.

Tell you what bishopp if you want feel free to join me and mryesterday when my gun comes in.

Thanks for the invite! Let me know what time you guys are going next week friday and I'll see if I can make it.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Is Mike still there? I thought he was an owner but I haven't seen him the last 6 months. As I said in an earlier post he actually tried to smile and say "Thanks" once and I'm wondering if he pulled a lip muscle and is still in rehab.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Is Mike still there? I thought he was an owner but I haven't seen him the last 6 months. As I said in an earlier post he actually tried to smile and say "Thanks" once and I'm wondering if he pulled a lip muscle and is still in rehab.

Not sure, generally I only see Doug and his brother Herschel (sp?) in there when I go in.

Top Bottom