• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    No collars, no neighbors, not "pure bred" or potentially lost or got loose.. S>S>S. Got a whole pack of 5 once with a bolt action .270...

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If I see pack behavior, I get twitchy.

A pack of over 20 dogs drove home the concept that a 4+1 870 just ain't gonna finish this if I start it because no matter how many shells I have on me, they are too close and I can't reload fast enough.

We also lost two dogs to that same pack. No, they didn't join up with the pack, they were killed by the pack on two different occasions. That same pack treed my Bro during bow season, he was 12 at the time. It took me a whole winter with a 22-250 to fix that problem.

Rural land owners tend to know the local dogs. I knew some of the dogs in this pack. Some where in fact pets. They would temporarily join up with the pack when the core group came through.

For whatever reason, if I am in an area that is not my normal area, I see strays as not my business unless the friend or owner has advised me of a problem he wants resolved.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    You people will take any opportunity to shoot just about anything?

No not really.

I have seen first hand what pack dogs will do. When they pack up and stalk livestock or people, they are extremely dangerous, and very costly to livestock owners.
    I have seen many dogs deer hunting, and left them to do their business.
    This is different.

Shot a rabid Rotty once that tried to take out my brother. Should I have let him go too? (VET tested by the way)

Jakob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This is not going to sway anyone on the subject, just thought you might find it interesting.

I have never hunted in IN I have hunted in NC while stationed there several times in the Jacksonville area.

In NC they use dogs to run deer. You never ever shoot a dog in around Jacksonville / Camp Lejuene area hunting. Even though there is a huge pig farm in the area that is plagued with dogs. I hate to say this but military families (at least when I was there) abandon dogs with enough frequency it is not unusual to see packs of former pets now wild dogs. Even still I was warned often by locals that the worst thing you could do was to take a chance that when you shot a dog in the woods that it was not some local's favorite hunting dog. Different place, different time.

Upvote for the irony of Op's profile photo

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    smoke them!!!......owners need to control there animals......my dogs run loose with no colliers and they know where they can go and not go....

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    In Shelby County all domestic animals must be either tethered or fenced on the owners property.

If a dog is seen in the woods without a collar, it must be a coyote.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    I had a Golden come home with an arrow in his ass when I was a kid.

If I could have found that hunter then.... I might be getting out of Prison by now.

I know plenty of pet's the "look" wild, unless it's a yote, leave it alone.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I had a Golden come home with an arrow in his ass when I was a kid.

If I could have found that hunter then.... I might be getting out of Prison by now.

I know plenty of pet's the "look" wild, unless it's a yote, leave it alone.
    Don't want your dog shot, then train it, chain it, fence it or kennel it...

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Every year this thread pops up on just about every hunting forum! It is a classic!
    :popcorn:

It goes like this:
    OP: What do I do?
    Guy #1 : SSS!
    Guy #2 : Kill them!
    Guy #3: I let my dogs run wherever they want. Just dogs being dogs.:dunno:
    Guy #4: I'd kill Guy #3's dog! Keep control of them or you shouldn't have them!
    Guy #5: It is illegal.
    Guy #3: I'd beat your A$$ then press charges!
    Guy #6: Strays don't last long around here.

...it continues, with multiple people agreeing with each other and some smattering of name calling and disparaging remarks. There will be some stories about how much a fella loves his dogs, and also some lessons on responsible dog ownership. There will be blood thirsty heathens, dog loving Nancies, responsible and irresponsible dog owners, inconsiderate low lifes, High horsing blow hards, and cold blooded dog killers!

CLASSIC I TELL YA!

We're getting there guys!! I think my list has been checked off by now, but this thread has to hit at least 100 posts to REALLY get up there with most of the classic "killing stray mutt" threads I've seen on other hunting forums! Maybe some pics, or some more stories about how a more kid's dogs were shot when running and having fun on the neighbor's property. Maybe some first hand stories of dog attacks (again pics would be a great addition to the discussion!) Or how Lassie didn't come home one night. Not really condoning personal attacks, but that would help to get the post count up in this thread. :dunno:

Here is some inspiration for ya! Over 500 posts in this one!
    Idiots!!!!!!!!!

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    Dogs get loose no matter what you do unless you want to keep it in a crate all day and that is no life even for a dog. Dog messes up your hunt it is not justified to shoot. If the dog it threating you you have to do what you think is right. If you cannot get away then sad to say you may have to shoot the dog. If you can not justify the shoot as a dog owner I must remind everyone while the dog cannot shoot back dog owners can shoot back.

JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    Eh, It's your property, your rules. NO ONE should tell someone what to do one their own property. If my dog comes on your property and you shoot it. Certainly don't tell me. Go get your shovel and bury it. The kids will be upset for a few days, but will get over it. One the other hand I'm gonna shoot your dog if it comes on to my land for sure and I will utilize my spade. I'm kind of heartless when it comes to dogs. If you live around me and want to keep your dog alive. Train it and chain it. If the dog gets off it's chain-your fault should have bought a bigger chain.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    You been around wild dogs in the woods? I have, and they don't do any good for us civilized, town folk. Those dogs are a menace.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Wild dogs are more dangerous that coyotes as wild/stray dogs have been known to attack and kill people. There is a large pack in the Clark County State Forest.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Called my friend in Laural. We are going to be ending his wild dog issues very soon. Going out this weekend as the weather looks to be favorable.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Dogs get loose no matter what you do unless you want to keep it in a crate all day and that is no life even for a dog. Dog messes up your hunt it is not justified to shoot. If the dog it threating you you have to do what you think is right. If you cannot get away then sad to say you may have to shoot the dog. If you can not justify the shoot as a dog owner I must remind everyone while the dog cannot shoot back dog owners can shoot back.

my dogs have never seen a crate......they stay right here unless i say its ok to come with me...... train them don't let them train you...

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    Here it is

IC 35-46-3-12
    Torture or mutilation of a vertebrate animal; killing a domestic animal
    Sec. 12. (a) This section does not apply to a person who euthanizes an injured, a sick, a homeless, or an unwanted domestic animal if:
    (1) the person is employed by a humane society, an animal control agency, or a governmental entity operating an animal shelter or other animal impounding facility; and
    (2) the person euthanizes the domestic animal in accordance with guidelines adopted by the humane society, animal control agency, or governmental entity operating the animal shelter or other animal impounding facility.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally beats a vertebrate animal commits cruelty to an animal, a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class D felony if:
    (1) the person has a previous, unrelated conviction under this section; or
    (2) the person committed the offense with the intent to threaten, intimidate, coerce, harass, or terrorize a family or household member.
    (c) A person who knowingly or intentionally tortures or mutilates

a vertebrate animal commits torturing or mutilating a vertebrate animal, a Class D felony.
    (d) As used in this subsection, "domestic animal" means an animal that is not wild. The term is limited to:
    (1) cattle, calves, horses, mules, swine, sheep, goats, dogs, cats, poultry, ostriches, rhea, and emus; and
    (2) an animal of the bovine, equine, ovine, caprine, porcine, canine, feline, camelid, cervidae, or bison species.
    A person who knowingly or intentionally kills a domestic animal without the consent of the owner of the domestic animal commits killing a domestic animal, a Class D felony.
    (e) It is a defense to a prosecution under this section that the accused person:
    (1) reasonably believes the conduct was necessary to:
    (A) prevent injury to the accused person or another person;
    (B) protect the property of the accused person from destruction or substantial damage; or
    (C) prevent a seriously injured vertebrate animal from prolonged suffering; or
    (2) engaged in a reasonable and recognized act of training, handling, or disciplining the vertebrate animal.
    (f) When a court imposes a sentence or enters a dispositional decree under this section, the court:
    (1) shall consider requiring:
    (A) a person convicted of an offense under this section; or
    (B) a child adjudicated a delinquent child for committing an act that would be a crime under this section if committed by an adult;
    to receive psychological, behavioral, or other counseling as a part of the sentence or dispositional decree; and
    (2) may order an individual described in subdivision (1) to receive psychological, behavioral, or other counseling as a part of the sentence or dispositional decree.

Anyone still want to admit to a felony?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom