• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    they do....and they like my dog and my sisters dogs. And their dogs come over into my yard as well. And guess what....I dont shoot them. Novel concept of NOT killing every living thing that steps on your property because its not doing EXACTLY what you want it to do.

As long as the neighbors are cool with it, have fun with the free dog lovefest. I've had a lot of terrible experiences with "free range" dogs that people just let do whatever they want, tear up other's property, kill other people's pets, etc. My "novel concept" works well there....

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    :dunno:
    A person who knowingly or intentionally kills a domestic animal without the consent of the owner of the domestic animal commits killing a domestic animal, a Class D felony.
    (e) It is a defense to a prosecution under this section that the accused person:
    (1) reasonably believes the conduct was necessary to:
    (A) prevent injury to the accused person or another person;
    (B) protect the property of the accused person from destruction or substantial damage

So if the dog is not owned by anyone, in the case of strays, does this not apply?! :dunno:

Sgt.Striker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    i wouldnt shoot the dog unless it was acting aggressively. if the dog has wandered into your area and scares off your game, shooting the animal isnt going to convince the deer that its safe to come back and get shot by you. id try to lure him in with a piece of jerky or just calling him over to you. once he is in your possession a quick call to animal control will have your problem solved. and you can get back to hunting without any angry dog spirits coming around to haunt you.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I shoot them. Theres a few Chinese Restaurants around town that will give me 15-20 bucks per head. Puppies usually bring more. They say they are more tender.
    :dunno:

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I am not a lawyer, nor do i offer legal advise or speak from experience.

Do what they do in Michigan's Upper Peninsula with wolves: Shoot. Shovel. Shut Up.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Stray dogs? Not sure, a pack of stray dogs could be dangerous. Not too long ago, a censor worker was killed by a pack of stray dogs while walking up to knock on the door in a remote part of CA. Police said most of those dogs were pet before but their masters decided to get rid of them for whatever reasons they had. They formed a pack because they're stronger with numbers and hungry.

foamkiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    As a landowner and a hunter....my property is not a doggie playland for your dog or anyone else's. To me it is simple if you cherish your doggie as much as you say keep the SOB at home were it belongs. I don't care if it is a champion hunting dog or family pet keep it at home and it will be safe. My motto is "Helping strays meet Jesus since 1966".

338sniper

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    Touchy subject....

I've had a neighbor let his dogs (beagles) out on the opposite side of the property I hunt so it could chase the deer through my property onto his. Not necessarily the dogs fault but I can't shoot the neighbor.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Every year this thread pops up on just about every hunting forum! It is a classic!
    :popcorn:

It goes like this:
    OP: What do I do?
    Guy #1 : SSS!
    Guy #2 : Kill them!
    Guy #3: I let my dogs run wherever they want. Just dogs being dogs.:dunno:
    Guy #4: I'd kill Guy #3's dog! Keep control of them or you shouldn't have them!
    Guy #5: It is illegal.
    Guy #3: I'd beat your A$$ then press charges!
    Guy #6: Strays don't last long around here.

...it continues, with multiple people agreeing with each other and some smattering of name calling and disparaging remarks. There will be some stories about how much a fella loves his dogs, and also some lessons on responsible dog ownership. There will be blood thirsty heathens, dog loving Nancies, responsible and irresponsible dog owners, inconsiderate low lifes, High horsing blow hards, and cold blooded dog killers!

CLASSIC I TELL YA!

Last edited:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    If its attacking you that is one thing....but you remember that dog might be some little girl or boys that lives down the street or across the country block.

How would you feel if you had to explain to your child that there dog is missing or that you found it and some jackwagon shot it?

You are a liar if you say you wouldnt mind having to explain it to your child. You are just sick in the head if you shoot a dog for no other reason than it was running a deer.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    So....What is the bag limit for feral dogs?
    Remember to take them to the check station at the china buffet downtown. :rolleyes:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So if the dog is not owned by anyone, in the case of strays, does this not apply?! :dunno:

I dunno. I was just quoting the IC posted above. I have similar questions as yours.

I'm not a dog shooter as a rule. As a matter of fact, I'm quite fond of the neighborhood pets that come to visit.
    Pretty sure I wouldn't let a dog chew on me very long though.:)

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    i wont shoot a dog even if they ruin a hunt.....i have a dog and my sister has 2 and we cant keep collars on any of them they all pull them off. They run our family land and im sure they occasionally get on the neighbors land also. I know they have chased deer before. I look at it like they are doing the EXACT same thing you are and theirs is just pure instinct. Most dogs are all show and no fight but if a dog felt like pushing the fight enough i have no problem putting it down either. I just find it kind of amazing that so many people are so quick to shoot an animal just because it could possibly ruin a recreational activity of theirs.

You bought the dog. You must like the dog. :rolleyes: Keep the dog on your place.:yesway: Don't buy 5 acres, move in and assume your dog is welcome on the adjacent 500.

When he ruins my hunt that I spent time, effort, and treasure to enjoy, He becomes MY dog. :xmad:And I can use him for fertilizer.:ar15::dunno:

Accept the responsibility of ownership. Don't expect me to put up with you being irresponsible. It's not the dogs fault. It's yours. Dog is collateral damage. Can't shoot the inept owners.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I dunno. I was just quoting the IC posted above. I have similar questions as yours.

I'm not a dog shooter as a rule. As a matter of fact, I'm quite fond of the neighborhood pets that come to visit.
    Pretty sure I wouldn't let a dog chew on me very long though.:)

Didn't mean to sound as if I was asking you directly....

You just happened to be the first quote I seen with the IC, and I haven't figured out how to cut and paste from my "smart" phone.... ;)

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Stray dogs? Not sure, a pack of stray dogs could be dangerous. Not too long ago, a censor worker was killed by a pack of stray dogs while walking up to knock on the door in a remote part of CA. Police said most of those dogs were pet before but their masters decided to get rid of them for whatever reasons they had. They formed a pack because they're stronger with numbers and hungry.

We had a census worker killed in Brown County several years ago. Mother to some friends of mine in High School.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Didn't mean to sound as if I was asking you directly....

I wonder whether that is actually a change in the old law or a stand alone protection for pet owners from stalkers and the like who would target their animals? Also a protection for animals from torture from anyone.

If I am correct on the old (rural) laws, an animal that was on your property could legally be shot.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Every year this thread pops up on just about every hunting forum! It is a classic!
    :popcorn:

It goes like this:
    OP: What do I do?
    Guy #1 : SSS!
    Guy #2 : Kill them!
    Guy #3: I let my dogs run wherever they want. Just dogs being dogs.:dunno:
    Guy #4: I'd kill Guy #3's dog! Keep control of them or you shouldn't have them!
    Guy #5: It is illegal.
    Guy #3: I'd beat your A$$ then press charges!
    Guy #6: Strays don't last long around here.

...it continues, with multiple people agreeing with each other and some smattering of name calling and disparaging remarks. There will be some stories about how much a fella loves his dogs, and also some lessons on responsible dog ownership. There will be blood thirsty heathens, dog loving Nancies, responsible and irresponsible dog owners, inconsiderate low lifes, High horsing blow hards, and cold blooded dog killers!

CLASSIC I TELL YA!

i agree fully....your right on every point.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I wonder whether that is actually a change in the old law or a stand alone protection for pet owners from stalkers and the like who would target their animals? Also a protection for animals from torture from anyone.

If I am correct on the old (rural) laws, an animal that was on your property could legally be shot.

It changed in 2009..

and not every county has an animal controll.. so many counties are having a big stray problem now..

& just because you do not think it is someone's pet does not mean someone will not claim it after the fact... just like feral cats . someone is probably feeding them and will throw a fit if you harm their "pets" ..

Top Bottom