• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I wonder whether that is actually a change in the old law or a stand alone protection for pet owners from stalkers and the like who would target their animals? Also a protection for animals from torture from anyone.

If I am correct on the old (rural) laws, an animal that was on your property could legally be shot.
    It changed in 09, to allow animals to have protection from abuses under the Law (working with a tired memory right now).

I'll try to remember to ask the dude I pay Yearly to do not much what his take on it is... :popcorn:

But the way I read it is, to be a domestic animal they have to be owned by someone. Therefore, Strays and Feral dogs are still on the OK list to smite with extreme prejudice... :dunno:

By the way, I own page #2 with this post!

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    You bought the dog. You must like the dog. :rolleyes: Keep the dog on your place.:yesway: Don't buy 5 acres, move in and assume your dog is welcome on the adjacent 500.

When he ruins my hunt that I spent time, effort, and treasure to enjoy, He becomes MY dog. :xmad:And I can use him for fertilizer.:ar15::dunno:

Accept the responsibility of ownership. Don't expect me to put up with you being irresponsible. It's not the dogs fault. It's yours. Dog is collateral damage. Can't shoot the inept owners.

Just so we are on the same page and to let you know about my situation...we (my family and myself) own the major ammount of land around here. The dogs as a general rule of thumb may cut across a neighbors field but generally dont go more than 50ft from my property line. This is why we dont give people rights to hunt on MY land. because people think that because something didnt go the way they wanted or it interfeared with their hunt on MY land that they have the right to kill my dog and it suddenly becomes THEIR dog. No sir that is not the case and you would be hard pressed to fight that one in court. My neighbors dogs cut through my land quite often. and in all honesty they are quite welcome to. They are friendly dogs that dont destroy things and are just a bit off of their land. No need to bring a punishment of death on an animal that doesnt understand your agenda. If thats the case then next time i catch a hunter on my land who didnt get permision im going to shoot him because he is now mine and is it trampleing my grass and disturbing my ground and harvesting my animals (or course i wouldnt do that). I guess this is the reason parents get thrown out of little league games....people that over react because they didnt get their way in a silly sport or recreation.

I choose from now on to not visit this thread so i wont see if you want to reply. Feel free to PM me but i dont hold anything against anyone...they can all have their own opinions as much as i am entitled to my own.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The wild dog problem is not new. I lived in Connersville mid 70's. A good friend had property in the Laurel area south of Richmond. He lived way back off the road and his drive crossed a creek in 2 locations. Very cool property. He had cows, sheep, goats and chickens. Ferrell dogs were killing his live stock and his kids were chased and attacked. They were OK but scared silly. We started setting up and waiting for them. They would come out stalking the animals and we would drop them. Never failed to get 1 or 2 every weekend. Took a bit but between all of us (6) we got them thinned out. Not really a fun thing. No issues with shooting Coyote. Dogs, not so much.
    I spoke with him early summer and he said they are getting worse again.
    Stupid pet owners that buy a big dog and find out just how much work they really are. One way dog ride to the woods and they revert back to what they always were and always will be, Dogs.
    Not a dog hater. Just hate stupid dog owners.

Chuddly, I am referring to Ferrell animals. Pack hunters that do damage and would attack you. Not barney the pet Lab.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    While I can't say that I enjoy the thought of (theoretically) domestic animals being shot, especially those which are the recipients of sentimental attachment, I find it pretty damned cavalier of others to think that someone who has spend at least a couple hundred thousand dollars on a remote location to be able to live and hunt in peace should be stripped of the value of that purchase just because some moronic dog owner doesn't see the need to keep his animal under control.

Shelly1582

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not every loose dog is owned by irresponsible owners. Sometimes they get loose and someone is desperately trying to find it. Very sad if you shoot a dog and then notice the flyers next day offering a reward or a pic of the dog with his 5 year old best friend. Most of mine were taken in after someone realized puppies grow larger and get in that not so cute phase. Our latest is an escape artist, but if she's seen loose I'm not far behind hollering her name like an idiot and hoping no one gets scared of the "vicious" german shepherd and shoots her.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not every loose dog is owned by irresponsible owners. Sometimes they get loose and someone is desperately trying to find it. Very sad if you shoot a dog and then notice the flyers next day offering a reward or a pic of the dog with his 5 year old best friend. Most of mine were taken in after someone realized puppies grow larger and get in that not so cute phase. Our latest is an escape artist, but if she's seen loose I'm not far behind hollering her name like an idiot and hoping no one gets scared of the "vicious" german shepherd and shoots her.

Again, true Ferrell animals are easy enough to spot. A single dog running amok and disrupting livestock can be miss-taken for Farrell and possibly shot. When we were taking these animals they were pack oriented and stalking private stock. More than one time I put one down and the others would jump the bleeder and tear it to shreds. It is a sight you will not forget.
    Private property and damage being done.
    I do not have any pets as my granddaughter is allergic to dog and cat dander. We also do not have the time required to be "Good" pet owners. We have had a few great dogs and my wife likes cats. To each their own choices. I am sure this is a touchy issue for the real animal lovers. I see both sides on this issue.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    The wild dog problem is not new. I lived in Connersville mid 70's. A good friend had property in the Laurel area south of Richmond. He lived way back off the road and his drive crossed a creek in 2 locations. Very cool property. He had cows, sheep, goats and chickens. Ferrell dogs were killing his live stock and his kids were chased and attacked. They were OK but scared silly. We started setting up and waiting for them. They would come out stalking the animals and we would drop them. Never failed to get 1 or 2 every weekend. Took a bit but between all of us (6) we got them thinned out. Not really a fun thing. No issues with shooting Coyote. Dogs, not so much.
    Stupid pet owners that buy a big dog and find out just how much work they really are. One way dog ride to the woods and they revert back to what they always were and always will be, Dogs.

Chuddly, I am referring to Ferrell animals. Pack hunters that do damage and would attack you. Not barney the pet Lab.

I remember in the late '70s IPD shooting packs of dogs in Indy... watched a group of dogs get killed in the field by the deaf school ...

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I almost shot a dog 2 years ago during muzzleloader season. I was deer hunting at the edge of a field and caught a tail of what I thought was a coyote or fox. I went to where i saw the tail last and slowly walked next to the big blue. as I walked a little further, I noticed what I thought was a coyote only to realize that it was 3 dogs, 2 with collars. This was just a second after putting the crosshairs of my scope on chest of the dog with my finger putting a little pressure on the trigger. As I watched the dogs try to get something off the ice, I watched them leave it and cross the river and then within 10 seconds had a coyote run out on the ice and grab what they had left.

It seems that the dogs and coyote had run into each other, were friendly to each other but went different paths.

I truly would have felt bad shooting the dog even though it was not from the land owner which property I was hunting. I actually got a sick feeling in my stomach thinking that I almost shot someone's pet. I called the land owner and told her about the incident and asked that she tell her neighbors to be carefull letting their dogs run lose this time of the year.

So if you would shoot a dog while deer hunting, would you shoot a cat while squirrel, rabbit, or pheasant hunting? Even if it had a collar? What about a cow that was loose on the wrong property and it scared off some deer?

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.

Yes....Pack dogs are completely different. They will stalk and hunt you for sure!!

Years ago me and two of my buddy's went to the ditch to fish everyday. We had seen a pack of (wild) dogs a few times before in the area, and so had the neighbors. One day we went riding our bikes down the lane by the ditch, and we saw them way ahead. We did not think much of it, and went on to fish down by the bank. Later we kept hearing noised up on top, and we went back up to see what was up. The dogs had circled us and were in the bean field about thirty yards out. They were actually stalking us like a pack of wolves.
    We managed to make some noise and get out of there, but one of them came at us anyway. The next day we went back, but with our rifles. We walked over the edge of the bank, but did not fish. Within minutes they were back in the bean field surrounding us. The would look up...move closer and pop up again, coming in closer each time.
    Three rifles and seven dogs, it was over pretty quick.
    Word must have gotten out, because we actually had neighbors thanking us, and said they had been chased into their houses and their pets had been mauled and carried away by this group of dogs.
    No regrets, needed done before someone was hurt or killed. No animal control then either.
    Stray neighbors dogs passing through, not a problem, (though frustrating)... but pack dogs for sure.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I jog in the woods and I carry when I do. I've come across strays before but none (thankfully) have acted in an aggressive manner.

If they did act in a threatening manner then that would be the only time I would dispatch a dog.

Other than that, would you shoot another hunter for chasing off deer? So why kill a dog?

Part of hunting is enjoying nature. Nature is unpredictable.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Pretty common back when I was little.............rifle by the door, door unlocked, strays getting put down was just a thing folks did.

Gramps kept a Garand by our back door, just for strays.

We had a fair amount of livestock.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    You people will take any opportunity to shoot just about anything?

Ya?

Well......It's cold out and all the Cats are hiding inside. :D

black_cat-114.gif

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    It has happened to me twice, and it is extremely annoying / frustrating to have a stray dog wander into a deer hunt. As mentioned above in another post, I could see shooting a dog to protect livestock. But aside from that, I would never shoot a dog simply for getting lost, that's going too far. The dog's scent is likely going to ruin the hunt for the rest of the day, but shooting that dog is only going to negatively impact the area even longer.

The first time it happened it to me the dog eventually wandered away. The second time it happened, I tried to get the dog to follow me back to the parking area with the intent of taking him to the check-in station. But the dog was too afraid of me and wouldn't come near me. I saw him heading in the general direction of the closest county road, so hopefully he eventually found his owner.

Top Bottom