• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    I have been hunting by myself for 20+yrs, but the coolest thing I have ever seen was fishing with my dad in Canada. Fishing on the English river, there are a pair of bald eagles that my dad has 'trained' to come to him when he whistles. After he catches a northern pike that is legal length, he'll smack it's head and toss it in the water and whistle a couple of times. Within 5 mins, a bald eagle will swoop down and it's lunch time, often feeling the wind from their wings!!!

qwkdrwmgw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My buddy and I were camping when we were younger sleeping in just lounge chairs outside. In the middle of the night we heard a noise and woke up and saw a raccoon walking around our campsite. We went a grabbed a box of Chicken in a Biscuit and started trowing them at the coon. The coon started eating them and getting closer to us. After a half a box of Chicken in a Biscuits we had him taking them from our hands. The next day we told our parents and they said you better hope that coon wasn't rabid. We haven't tried feeding anymore wild animals like that again.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I have been hunting by myself for 20+yrs, but the coolest thing I have ever seen was fishing with my dad in Canada. Fishing on the English river, there are a pair of bald eagles that my dad has 'trained' to come to him when he whistles. After he catches a northern pike that is legal length, he'll smack it's head and toss it in the water and whistle a couple of times. Within 5 mins, a bald eagle will swoop down and it's lunch time, often feeling the wind from their wings!!!
    It's funny to see deer swimming in the middle of a lake up there with no land in sight. They have to get to those islands some how....wolves too.....

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    We were camping in Cherokee, NC one summer. We found a grizzly bear track right outside our tent that looked exactly like a dog print. We're still not sure how he did it. We're assuming he had those shoes with the weird prints on the bottom. You know, to throw us off the trail. He didn't fool us, though.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I grew up in the high desert of far west Texas, and saw some pretty strange stuff out there. A couple of buddies and I were headed out to go dove hunting, and while walking toward our spot the desert floor in front of us looked like it was moving. Well we decided to see what was going on and walked to the edge of a MASSIVE tarantula migration. It looked like there were millions of them out there. Come to find out that in the spring they would go up into the mountain, then in fall they would come back into the sands of the desert floor. It was one of the creepiest things I have ever seen. The other thing that stands out in my mind was a huge jackrabbit that lived somewhere close to my house. We would see him on occasion and my friends and I started calling him MegaJack. If we could have gotten close enough to tell I bet his ears were a foot and a half long, and they stood probably 2 1/2 t 3 foot tall. That was the biggest one we saw.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    About 10 years ago, I was camping with my family at Raccoon Lake. My uncle, being the genius that he is, puts up his tent facing the wrong way. This wasn't a big tent, maybe a 5-6' pup tent. My uncle is about 5'9" so he hung out of the tent by a few inches. He woke up in the middle of the night because he felt something, turns out it was a raccoon licking his toes. So we all start laughing at him. The next day he sets up a few cans on a string making a trip wire alarm in his tent. We all go to bed and we see a shadow of something large pulling a full trash bag. A large raccoon was pulling a trash bag across 3 lots. My uncle then wakes up to find a small raccoon stepped over or under the cans and was laying next to his face. He flipped out and the raccoon ran up a tree and started throwing stuff at my other uncle's Isuzu Amigo. Needless to say, my uncle hates going camping at Raccoon Lake.

A few years later, we all went back. My uncle, my sister, and I had been up for a while and were slap happy. It was about 0230 and we were doing random stuff to make each other laugh. I heard something so I had everyone turn off all the lights. I start spotlighting raccoons. Well we had some rednecks beside us that had a full 24 gallon cooler full of beer. I shine my light over there when I heard something and a raccoon had popped open the cooler and about 6 raccoons were sharing the beer. We woke up the next morning to rednecks yelling "some motherf****er drank our beer!" :):

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    We were camping in Cherokee, NC one summer. We found a grizzly bear track right outside our tent that looked exactly like a dog print. We're still not sure how he did it. We're assuming he had those shoes with the weird prints on the bottom. You know, to throw us off the trail. He didn't fool us, though.

You mean a Brown Bear!? ;)

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Up in the hills where I grew up way back was a small play ground. Very odd, it was a pretty nice play ground probably from the 70s. Merry go round, swings, slide, those things that you sit on with the giant spring underneath that wobble back and forth. There was no roads leading to it and no buildings as far as the eye could see. We used to go there and play every so often. Never saw anyone else up there.

Endofdays

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Early bow season this year, I seen a red tailed hawk swoop out of no where and snatch a fox squirrel off a tree branch, no less than 10 yards from my face. Scared the hell out of me. I was watching that squirrel for the better part of the morning. Then I watched the hawk carry it off and eat it.

blakduglis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    I used to live on the north edge of Muncie so this is really not in the woods, but close enough. I had a picknick table set at the back of my yard near the edge of field of corn. One morning I was watching a fox squirel chewing on an ear of field corn when a red-tail hawk flew in, picked up the squirel on the fly, flew out over the corn field, flew back to the picknick table and had his lunch in the same spot as his lunch guest the squirel. Squirel never knew what hit him!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The moose crapping off a cliff reminded me of a story my cousin told.

They farm a field that borders a stone quarry. There is an elevated road between the field and the edge of the pit. One day he took a ride on the 4-wheeler and spooked up two deer. He slowed down and watched as they ran at a full sprint towards the road.They took a giant leap up on the middle of the road, then began their next giant leap into the great emptiness on the other side of the road. He said they tried to change direction but it was just too late. He drove over to investigate. One had gone all the way to the bottom, the other was injured and stuck on a 3 foot wide ledge about 25 feet down the steep slope from the road to the edge of the pit. He didn't know what to do, knowing that any rescue attempts he made would likely end up with the deer going over. He just left to get his dad and brother and came back to find the 2nd deer at the bottom of the pit too.

The drop was about 135 feet, and I personally verified the 2 dead deer in the pit right where he said they would be.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    We took some moose pictures in the boundary waters canoe area back in the '80s, great pics. There was a cow eating vegitation in the shallow water (about knee deep to her) with a calk at her side and a big bull watching from the tree line. When we chose the best one to have enlarged and framed we noticed ripples in the water at her rear;) She was taking a leak....not very noticeable but when pointed out, very obvious. I'll try to get my dad to send me a copy so I can post it.

Top Bottom